Thread: 2242's for top right & left subs

Talking 2242's for top right & left subs

Has anyone ever used subs in the top right and left corners of the ceiling? I am designing a new listening/HT room with more being dedicated to listining. but if it sounds good for two channel than it should be ok for theater as well.

Anyways I would like to put subs in the top corners left and right so that they are close to the same plane as the mains and to stay away from my tv. I would use 2 2242's for this application. (wonderful woofer) If you have not guessed I do love bass, but sometimes I do turn them off to just enjoy my 250's. my goal is to have as much bass or as little as I deam nessesary.
    Can anyone help
    Thanks Shane

TimG
    Subs placed in the top corners should work OK, but I would guess that you will not get corner reinforcement as well as you would on the ground, unless you have a very rigid ceiling. If the cieling is standard gypsum board it will flex and vibrate more than your floor would, but with large powerful subwoofers your ceiling would be vibrating anyway.

Talking Thanks Tim

I was starting to think that this would be the end of lowering my db level outside of my room. It was a bad thought really!
    My room is in a basment and I would like to save as much space as I can but nomatter what the 2 2242's stay!
    I think I should be able to build them into the wall in the right and left corners just behind my L250's.
    My room is about 13' wide 7' tall and I have not come up with the best length for the room yet, but I have found I like shorter rooms than what I used to have(13x7x24.5).

RIP 2009

Re: Thanks Tim

Originally posted by JuniorJBL
    I think I should be able to build them into the wall in the right and left corners just behind my L250's.
    If the speaker plane is physically that far behind your L250s I'd think you'd have some serious phase problems at certain frequencies...

Re: Re: Thanks Tim

Originally posted by johnaec
    If the speaker plane is physically that far behind your L250s I'd think you'd have some serious phase problems at certain frequencies...
    If I do this then the crossover that I would use (DBX Driverack 260) would be set for delay on the front mains to compensate for the approx. 3 ft of distance.
    Does thi sound right to you?
    Shane

The distance you can get away with is frequency dependant. If you use your subs below say 50Hz you can put the subs almost anywhere and will not have a problem. At the normal 80Hz HT frequency with a 24dB slope you will have no problem at 3 ft and could probably get away with 6 to 10 ft. Your room is rather small so these distances may be more problematic.

How is your room for standing waves? You should do some tests before ripping up the walls.

Question standing waves

Your room is rather small so these distances may be more problematic.

How is your room for standing waves? You should do some tests before ripping up the walls.
    Funny that you say that. Yes there has been BIG problems and I was thinking of shortening the room a bit and creating all walls,floor,ceiling not parallel to any other as to try to eliminate standing waves. Do you have any knowledge about this?
    Thanks Shane

Standing Waves

Standing waves can be a big problem with subwoofers. Having non parallel walls helps. Another thing to look at is subwoofer placement. As you move them around the room, the problems should be minimized and maximized at certain locations.

Good luck!

JonFairhurst
    At CES 2003 JBL demo'd their "Hurcules" system in a fairly small room. They had four 2242s, one in each corner, about mid-way between floor and ceiling. Add five mains, each with two 10" woofers and the horn assembly from the K2 5800 and you've got the speakers covered. Now add 7,200 watts, optimized EQ and crossovers. The result was deep, clean and LOUD.

Originally posted by JonFairhurst
    At CES 2003 JBL demo'd their "Hurcules" system in a fairly small room. They had four 2242s, one in each corner, about mid-way between floor and ceiling. Add five mains, each with two 10" woofers and the horn assembly from the K2 5800 and you've got the speakers covered. Now add 7,200 watts, optimized EQ and crossovers. The result was deep, clean and LOUD.

Thanks John for your reply
    I have decided to build about 14" deep 20" wide by about 68" tall cabs in each corner. This would be from the floor up. this would put the woofer about halfway up the wall. I have been using a modeling program for room modes and have come up with what should be a good flat room so as I can do whatever I would like.
    Also I am using a crown K2 for power so about 1000w for sub-bass only. should be good. If not I will get another K2 but as it stands now I can get about 124db with a single 2242. I ordered another from Giskard. should be here early next week. room is under constuction. I will post pics of the project soon!!

I would have serious concerns about those proportions for sub cabinets. My seat of the pants feeling is that you will have some internal modes and strong reflections back through the cones.

Widget

Originally posted by Mr. Widget
    I would have serious concerns about those proportions for sub cabinets. My seat of the pants feeling is that you will have some internal modes and strong reflections back through the cones.

Widget
    Do you think the back of the box is to close?

Yes, and you have the height 3 times the width. I don't have any "simulation" software, but many years of practical experience, read that as screwing up a bunch of times, tells me that it is very likely that you will get some standing waves in the cabinet.

Lightbulb Box

I just downloaded some software from http://www.audua.com/index.htm It is free software. You are very right about the size, that is just the first thing that sounded good for my room layout. I will check before any labor is performed. I hate doing things twice! Thanks for you insite and I will post more as I get close to doing it. anyways I did find free software, maybe it works too!
    Thanks Shane

Thread Information