Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ceiling Mounting L112s

Ceiling Mounting L112s

Yesterday my wife noticed that the front right presence speaker had "slipped" its mount. Upon closer inspection the back of the speaker had actually pulled out of the cabinet and the only thing holding the speaker 14 feet in the air (and right above my modified L200s and my Sunfire sub) was nothing!

This is the clupret (before the back came off):

And this is what it would have fallen on (everything to the right of the screen):

Luckily, it seems that the speaker had wedged itself in place rather than falling to its demise (and the demise of everything below it).

These are 10" 3-way Cerwin Vegas. I have a couple L112s and could get a second pair (we use four surrounds with the Yamaha RX-Z9) and am wondering what the best (but unobtrusive) way to mount them would be.

For the Vegas, I put two eye-bolts and big fender washers in the top-back of the cabinet, and toggle bolts in the ceiling and these have held fine (the back of the speaker came off but the bolts are still intact). It only took 13 years for the back to come off. All of the others still are fine.

Has anyone tried ceiling mounting their L-series speakers and if so, how did you do it? I'm not so concerned about making holes in the cabinets as I am having these vintage cabinets come apart on me and falling to their demise.

Thanks

For rigging, many pro JBLs have metal brackets installed inside which transfer the load to shear in the adjacent panels.

An easy retrofit, check the Simpson Strong-Tie catalog for something appropriate and rework your Vegas, maybe....

That would have been a disaster.

I am glad you "caught" that in time. No pun intended.

Great work!

-Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    That would have been a disaster.

I am glad you "caught" that in time. No pun intended.

Great work!

-Storm.
    Actually, its still up there! I just moved everything below it until I can get a handyman out here to help take it down.

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    Upon closer inspection the back of the speaker had actually pulled out of the (Cerwin Vega) cabinet...
    Nice cabinet work...

I have a couple L112s and could get a second pair (we use four surrounds with the Yamaha RX-Z9) and am wondering what the best (but unobtrusive) way to mount them would be.
    Where? Into the ceiling? It seems your approach with the CV's was "sound", but their cabinetry was not... :dont-know

For me, anything of that scale would have multiple hang points, just by the nature that these are "bookshelf" speakers not intended on being flown. That would require mounts both on the rear and side of the cabinet, but that interfers with your desire to not butcher the cabinet. Maybe you can engineer suspending a trough or angle iron which the cabinet rests in, with the addition of a rear bracket.

Alternatively, get yer head inside the L112's and reinforce the cabinet joints so they cannot fail, and then your rear-mount approach might be fine?

BUT REMEMBER, THESE CABINETS ARE PARTICLE BOARD AND NOT MEANT FOR LOAD BEARING.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Handyman came out and 10 minutes later (and $125 poorer, ouch), the speaker was down from the ceiling. The back had let go at the glue joint. It seems there was little glue along that edge holding the back.

Anyway, the foam on the woofer had deteriorated and at this time, all four Vegas would need refoams (about 13-15 years old). (The mids actually look to be fairly nice units with hefty magnets.)

I've decided that the replacements will not use a foam edge so these speakers will not need to come down again in my lifetime. Also, for SACD and DVD-Audio, I want a full range speaker in a relatively small cabinet.

If this is to be all JBL, the speakers of choice may end up being the W10GTI and a 2425. This would allow for good bass in a small (but very heavy) cabinet. My W15GTI easily goes out to 1,000 HZ fairly flat and the 10" should be even better in this respect.

Zilch, how about hot rodding such a system for me.

Full-range two-way is my thing, of course.

I'd hafta keep the prototyping woofers, tho.

Hang on. I should have cabs for my dual Nd 10s soon, which are so light I never know if there's a driver in the carton or not.

I can certainly do it with a single 12"

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Full-range two-way is my thing, of course.

I'd hafta keep the prototyping woofers, tho.

Hang on. I should have cabs for my dual Nd 10s soon, which are so light I never know if there's a driver in the carton or not.

I can certainly do it with a single 12"

What Neodymium 10s would those be?

Doesn't appear to be much bass extention to any of them. The W10GTI is rated down to 20 Hz.

Doesn't appear to be much bass extention to any of them.
    Uhmmm, that's why we gotta get clever using them.

The W10GTI is rated down to 20 Hz.
    I believe Johnaec has one, which I might be able to borrow to see if it plays worth a poop above 100 Hz....

RIP 2009
    I believe Johnaec has one, which I might be able to borrow to see if it plays worth a poop above 100 Hz....
    'Can do, but still gotta' build a box...

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    'Can do, but still gotta' build a box...
    L40's 10" deep. If that won't get it, then an adapter ring for S99, L55, Citation 7.4, B380, or 2507 surely will. I'm confident it will fit in Olympus, at least.

[Let's play that sucker, John.... ]

I picked up a couple W10GTIs yesterday ($190 each NIB). How's the "hot rod" coming Zilch?

John's bringing the driver down this week, I expect....

Thread Information