Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cartridge shoot-out Ortofon OM Super 30 and a vintage Shure V15 type V

Flat Mat

I would invest in a flat surface mat for whatever deck you are using. There are tons of them on the market. You can't go wrong with the Gyromat from the Michell Gyrodeck. Available as an accessory. Looking forward the mat on the Thorens is a travesty , and in parallel I would always break the rules and ditch the felt mat on Linn in favour of the Gyro or similar. The Gyromat washes OK whereas some of the tacky ( sticky ) rubber mats would retain grit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    Any listening experiences so far? Would be interesting ...

SORRY!!

I forgot all about this thread. The Shure is the clear winner for me. Just has everything going for it. The Ortofon at first I thought was a little to harsh but it has smooted out and now sounds nice with tubes over the Paragon
    Paragon
    Olympus
    L-100's
    4311's

Quote Originally Posted by garyl View Post
    I have the SME 3009 ll on my luxman table. Love the TA.

I have gone thru a number of changes in cartridges and don't profess to know what I am doing here.

Denon DL 103 with step up (Denon AU 320) and I have a hum I can't seem to isolate.

I now have a Sure M 97 Xe on it and this cartridge sounds wonderful.

I think the MC cartridge with step up might sound a bit nicer but the darn hum will drive me to drink so I won't say to go that route unless you love tweeking these things out to the source.

Oddly, I tried the MC set up on one of my SL 1200 MKlls and it sounds great with zero hum.

Wish I had the patients to figure this out because I really do like the SME/Lux table.

Gary
    The Sme 3009 can have slightly odd grounding characteristics. As I remember the short ground lead is the earth of the body of the arm only and the long lead that is the same length as the phonos is only a signal ground.
    You could try no grounding at all or more likely extend the short ground lead to connect to the amp and ditch the one that is normally connected. The arm connector can be a bit of a pest and I have found hum where the -ve side of one signal was not connected due to the connector being not fully home.
    Otherwise SME have been making superbly crafted products for years and years. Sorry the pic is cruddy but hope this helps
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    I would invest in a flat surface mat for whatever deck you are using. There are tons of them on the market. You can't go wrong with the Gyromat from the Michell Gyrodeck.
    checked their site, did not see any mats for sale.

Quick test --- put a record under the record you are playing and hear what happens. If it improves then shim the cart in the headshell or put an old record under the mat. I'm assuming the deck has no arm height adjustment.
    tho this works, I went back to normal and attenuate the treble with tone controls.

Record cleaning machine -- a pal of mine has a wee laddie who is at the stage of investigating everything. Yesterday he took a bread maker totally to bits. Now let me tell you that is the donor for a slow speed motor system, I had it in my mitt today. That and any old platter from a junk deck plus your vacuum and wash gear and you are away. Model it on a Keith Monks , I used one at work for many years and it does do the job.
    almost sold on that VPI 16.5 deal

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/72457

Quote Originally Posted by garyl View Post
    Denon DL 103 with step up (Denon AU 320) and I have a hum I can't seem to isolate.
    Gary
    I have that same setup but with the AU 250 and no hum, wud assume either insufficient ground or transformer problem. have read of many using the DL-103 without trans ...tho havnt tried it
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thread Information