Thread: Amp/preamp for JBL L-65s

Amp/preamp for JBL L-65s

I'm currently using a Music Hall MMF 5 turntable with the stock goldring cartridge as the workhorse source component in my system which plays thru a pair of L-65s. I've got this going thru a HT reciever at present but am considering going back to a higher quality 2 channel setup when this 12 yrs old reciever plays out. I want to stick with something in the way of an amp/preamp that would be commensurate with the MMF 5/ L-65 combo but with a phono stage that would allow for a cartridge upgrade or two down the line. Any suggestions?

Do you have a line of interest or budget? New or used? Integrated or separate pre-amp and amp? Moving coils can be more particular in
    finding a happy pre-amp mate... Nice place to be working from
    -grumpy

I'd like to buy new equipment with a ceiling of $4000 although I'd be a lot more comfortable spending $2500 - $3500. I'm not averse to checking out tube amps but, from what little I know of them, I'd definitely want something fairly idiot proof (self biasing and not real finicky otherwise). I listen to a lot of Rock and a fair amount of Jazz......sometimes reasonably loud but no longer into cracking the windowpanes, etc... These L-65s have previously been run with a Pioneer SX 1250 reciever, then a Denon PMA 700V integrated amp and then a low end Sony ES series HT reciever so I'm definitely looking for an audible step up from that class of component...

Try the Stasis, Nakamichi stuff. A good CA-5 pre amp will only set you back about $300 to $500 and a PA-5 will set you back about $400-$600.

I am looking for a PA-7 for my 250TIs, I currently use a PA-5. I would be willing to sell you my PA-5 for a song...

PA-5: 100 watts per channel
    PA-7: 200 watts per channel

Very well designed stuff. Can't go wrong with the money.

-Storm.

Thanks for the advice.....will probably be sticking to new equipment and, currently, the Creek Destiny integrated amp has caught my interest. Has anyone auditioned this amp with L-65s or speakers with similar characteristics? Alternately, I've looked at web based reviews of integrated amps in the 50 watt per channel range from Blue Circle and Music Hall but , though they seem to be of a high current design, I'm not sure if they'd be as safe a bet as the Creek at 100w/ch. Any thoughts on this range of products?

Hi.

I owned a pair of L-65's for a while. I tried many different amplifiers on them but when it came to reproduce the lower region nothing came close to a Crown XTi1000. If i had kept mine i think i would have modified the crossover for biamping. Maybe using a McIntosh MC275 for the mid/highs.

Best regards Tim

It's silly.

The L65s will likely be movin' along, sooner or later.

Buy a decent amp that'll work with whatever decent speakers....

MJC
    I'd forget new, think about some vintage H/K Citation pre-amp/power amp. This past winter I picked up, on ebay, a Citation 11 preamp and a Citation 19 power amp, with a turntable as the source and using my custom, mirror imaged, with CC crossovers L212 sat/sub system. By far the best amps I've ever had connect to L212s.

I'm currently using a Sony VFET TA5650. I haven't tried any other amp yet for my L65 since I got em last weekend.

The vfet and Jubal combo sounds great.

Thanks all for the advice. Some of the equipment mentioned was definitely stuff I dreamed about when it was new in the showrooms! I guess I'm curious though, at this point, about new amp/preamp combos/integrated amps of a more "minimalist" design -- either tube or SS -- in the $2500 to $4000 range including a good mm phono stage. True enough my L-65s will be "moving along sooner or later" but as they've been with me for 3 decades now and I like their sound well enough to probably want to replace them with similar speakers when they do bite the dust, I'm trying to narrow the list of power amps thru forums like these before I start thinking about in-home auditions, trips to dealerships with the L-65s in the back seat, etc, etc......

I'm apologizing for my "Silly" post; I had threads confused, and it was clearly inappropriate here.

I guess my problem with the amp choice issue is that at some level, we all have different tastes, and I'm not certain any particular preference has much in the way of relevance. Here's my extended take on that, for what it's worth, which went into another thread:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...8&postcount=13

Thread Information