Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: amp info bose 1801

The 1801 is a very nice amp with it's own, special 70's sound BUT I've heard from a tech that the circuitry has a few flaws which must be fixed because when the amp breaks down it will fry your speakers with like 90V DC.

I think that the 1801 is sonically similiar to the Phase Linear 400/700.

Quote Originally Posted by marvinf View Post
    I now have the Bose 901 Series VI and I would not buy any other speakers but these. I have audition speakers costing $60,000.00 and more and I will say hands down, the 901 is the best. They must be set up correctly in order to get the best out of them, but once you have done that, you will hear why I am saying they are the best."
    Thanks for sharing and welcome to Lansing Heritage.

Now you'd better close your eyes if you're thin-skinned. Remember, this is a JBL group! Not that we're not open-minded but claiming the 901 is "the best" is likely to either get ignored or laughed at here. Can we still be friends?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I have one of these Bose 1801's laying around that I got with a pile of JBL gear. I'm told one channel does not work, seemingly from the same problems described above. If someone is interested in purchasing it as is, send me a private message.

I could be wrong(ask the wife) but isn't the 1800 a rebadged BGW750?.

Quote Originally Posted by cooky1257 View Post
    There seems to be some disagreement on that: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...3&postcount=16
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    There seems to be some disagreement on that: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...3&postcount=16
    Not even sure where I originally got the info. The 1801 certainly has plenty of bling with led and VU meters.

Once again, my apologies for being OT

Quote Originally Posted by marvinf View Post
    "I have owned one of these for over 35 years now... I also have owned a set of Bose 901's for about the same time period. I now have the Bose 901 Series VI and I would not buy any other speakers but these. I have audition speakers costing $60,000.00 and more and I will say hands down, the 901 is the best. They must be set up correctly in order to get the best out of them, but once you have done that, you will hear why I am saying they are the best."
    A friend recently asked about the 901s. I told him that when I first heard them in 1974 I was blown away by them. They were in a stereo shop powered by a McIntosh MC2300 and knowing what I know now, were not set up ideally... however with my young and admittedly inexperienced ears, they blew me away.

In any event, Bose sells the current version, the Series VI for the modest cost of $1400 a pair including the equalizer and will let you audition them in your home for 30 days. My friend ordered a pair. I eagerly went over to help him set them up and give them a listen. I was impressed that Bose can sell them at this price point, and with a big amp, they will get very loud without undue strain... however, they do not hold up well overall compared to anything I listen to daily. Admittedly everything I have at home costs several times their cost, but I really missed true bass and treble free of breakup mode harmonics. Now, with a sub and proper super tweeter they would be pretty enjoyable and they do offer a very interesting take on stereo presentation.

If you listened to a male a cappella ensemble, they would likely blow you away and not need any augmentation...

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by cooky1257 View Post
    well, the quote from one of our members is:

Originally Posted by loach71

The BOSE 1801 was manufactured by BGW and re-badged.

does NOT reference the 750. I had also read somewhere else that it was designed by Bose and produced by BGW.

I've had correspondence with Tim (loach71) and never heard anything that I could question. If you knew his creds , I don't think anyone would doubt his statement. Sure, he can be wrong , but I'd bet against it.

And yes, some other posters contradicted him, but that's the innerweb.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

bose 1801

does anyone know how to get 4 speakers 901s to play out of an 1801 bose amp? at the same time I get 2 on main and 2 on remote but can't figure how to get all 4 going at the same time

Yes use both pairs on one set of binding posts.

Quote Originally Posted by dezmond View Post
    Yes use both pairs on one set of binding posts.
    I didn't read this whole thread, but wiring 2 pairs in parallel as described will cut the (already low?) impedance in half. May be a problem for sound quality, or the amp. Consider wiring them in series. You can Google parallel vs series wiring speakers to see the difference.

Thread Information