Thread: New Shearer Horn pictures

New Shearer Horn pictures

I was recently provided access to a literature archive by a motion picture industry professional. There is quite a bit of material related to the Shearer Two Way Horn System and Lansing Manufacturing Company that is new to Lansing Heritage. This is the kind of stuff that an amateur history buff like myself lives for. I will be providing scans of everything to Don, but for now I just had to share a couple of things.

Both of the images below provide more questions than answers, but are fascinating nonetheless. The first one is from Electronics magazine in January 1936. It is on a page that provides descriptions of new products. The new Shearer Two-way Sound System by Lansing Maufacturing Company is described, and the text seems to indicate the product from the Lansing bulletins that we are familiar with. The picture however depicts a two way horn system that looks like it flew in from outer space! The bass horn is straight rather than folded, and uses four 15" woofers on a common baffle. It greatly resembles the Ampex systems of about 20 years later, which it now appears must have been inspired by this system. The high frequency horn is also a style we have never seen before, being four cells high by six cells wide.

The second picture is from an article by John Hilliard in Electronics magazine, March 1936. The text describes the development of the Shearer System, and is similar to that published in a booklet by the Research Council of AMPAS that same year and again as a book chapter in 1938. What is VERY different is this picture of a system using a straight axis bass horn being fed by eight 15" woofers; three from each side, one top and one bottom. This photo disagrees with three drawings of the system in the same article, all of which depict the double stacked W bins (four 15" woofers total) that we are used to seeing.

Both of these pictures were published at a time when the prototype Shearer Horn systems had been built at MGM Studios and tested at Loews theatres around the country over the preceeding few months. Jim Lansing had evidently decided to begin building and marketing his new systems by late 1935, as there would have been a couple of months lead time for publication of his announcement in January 1936. My suspicion is that in both of these instances the published pictures were not the ones intended by Lansing and Hilliard. Until I see further evidence my theory is that these images depict earlier, rejected MGM Shearer System prototypes that were used in haste by the layout artists. In any event it is pretty neat that they have surfaced for our enjoyment and speculation in 2007.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

What is VERY different is this picture of a system using a straight axis bass horn being fed by six 15" woofers; three from each side, one top and one bottom.
    This was the first I looked at in detail.
    Thank you for sharing!

In the throat there seems to be a wedge (?) for reflecting higher frequencies.

Hoerninger, in describing the second picture I meant to say eight woofers- three from each side and one each top and bottom. That wedge in the center looks as though it maintains the horn's expanding cross section, forming sort of an elongated Y throat. Olson's folded W bin that was finally chosen was more practical, as only four drivers were needed. A major goal of the Shearer team was to design a system that offered high performance while being practical to build at moderate cost.

The inspiration for the Shearer project had been the Fletcher Horn, an experimental two way system built by Bell Labs for their Auditory Perspective experiments in 1933. It had used a large folded re-entrant bass horn driven by a remarkable bass compression driver that used a 20" aluminum diaphragm with an 8" edgewound aluminum voice coil and a massive field coil motor. Though an ingenious and effective design, that driver would have cost a fortune to build commercially.

Hello Steve,

thank you for the pictures, very interesting for Hornfreaks.

regards
    juergen

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    wow...

cool find Steve...

Thanks for sharing....

Thread Information