Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 4333 A restoration

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    JBL has not been entirely consistent in their "JBL Blue". Over the years there have been several slight variations and the current Japan Only 43XX systems are significantly darker.
    You wouldn't happen to know of anyone who has matched the current darker blue would you? I need that formula.

Bo's match for the older 43xx still stands too doesn't it? I think I have a can of it somewhere that I haven't used yet. Maybe the formula was written on it.

I guess I should put all these formulas in the Tech Section where they will be easier to find in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    You wouldn't happen to know of anyone who has matched the current darker blue would you? I need that formula.

Bo's match for the older 43xx still stands too doesn't it? I think I have a can of it somewhere that I haven't used yet. Maybe the formula was written on it.

I guess I should put all these formulas in the Tech Section where they will be easier to find in the future.

4313B,

I was just thinking the same thing - there ought to be a sticky with the different formulations (depending on base paint manufacturer) of the JBL blue's that have been successfully used - or as you mention, put them into the tech section (and probably pointed to by a good JBL FAQ).

The thread could reference the original threads where they originated, be stand alone (but might be missing the nice baffle photos), or point to the restoration threads where they can be seen in context discussion and with photos.

They all can be good.

As for the darker shade, seems one would have to have a physical sample of the darker shade to work with and compare a color formulation. We would probably need some Japan members to help or a contact at JBL before they get shipped overseas. Would seem though that this Behr formula is very straightforward and might go darker by a hair shade by adding a unit of either the blue or black.

With my eyes, might not be able tell without great natural lighting and color swatches side by side.

Anyway, much thanks to JBLCanuck and others who have worked so hard to add this touch to monitor and cabinet restoration. It really is appreciated!

Regards,

Bart
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Excellent idea.

I believe this is the final Bo formula.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...0&postcount=21

Widget

My original plan was to use Bo's formula. I have an account with Sherwin Williams but when I took them that formulation...I guess they use different tinters...or at least call them different names in Canada. Maybe it was the metric thing but anyhow, they couldn't mix it.
    They wanted me to bring in the speaker but they mix it manually & I wasn't really keen on leaving the speaker there.

Thread Information