Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Behringer DCX2496 digital x-over any good

JBL 4645
    What type of frequency bands does the (Behringer DCX 2496) have I, mean what octave as there’s no mention to this in the manual that I can find.

JBL 4645
    Via setting one the screen channels with a delay suited to the room’s distance to the listening position at just 4.20m 12.23m/s off screen and left centre right centre half parts of the sound translate with a clearer sound heard on the right when a Nancy, screams in Star Trek original TV show “The Man Tarp.”

Its followed by the scream paned slightly to the left while knowing its half placed in the centre it really works well in widening the width of the three-screen. The sound of Nancy’s scream then anchors to the centre channel with a high pitch 1Khz scream.

The image is taken with the digital camera, sorry about the odd colour it’s the light balance of the camera.

The scream is faint on the left and right in pitch, but it is clearly heard. I wouldn’t have got anywhere near to this without the (DCX2496) features its kinder opened up the sound and enhanced other parts of the soundtrack.

Other scenes inside the caverns with an open reverb echo that gives it size. Other features like Dynamic EQ and threshold settings each one set at 1Khz and gain boosted +15db Q 1.0. Threshold is set to -60db on left and right. Centre is to 1Khz gain +9db Q 1.0 threshold -22db.

As this is only an experiment, to see whether the settings that I have programmed on (DCX2496), so far its worked very well with Star Trek “The Man Tarp.”

JBL 4645
    Here’s a strange one, although someone here might know of a simply solution?

Every time I turn ON and OFF any other electrical item in the flat say a light switch, I get this nasty crackling sparkly sound that is received via, what I believe to be the DCX2496. This has happened since I first installed the unit 4 weeks ago now.

So does anyone have any suggestions anyone, on how to tackle this problem?

Times New Roman','serif']Sorry about the look of the text its this silly Microsoft 2007 temporary version I’m using. Hopefully later tonight a friend might be able to install a more user-friendly older version that I like. Microsoft Office 2007 sucks!

JBL 4645
    Stop The Press!

Looks like I’ve been had by Turnkey with there so called low prices, I see that the DCX2496 is going for details below and no I’m not a happy bunny at all I’ve shelled out a mere £27.00 pounds more!

It pays to shop around!

BEHRINGER ULTRADRIVE PRO DCX2496
    Product Code: 370330Our price: £147.50 ex VAT£173.31 inc VATStock: Call for more details
    http://www.studiospares.com/pd_37033...%20DCX2496.htm

Are you sure the DCX2496 is THX compliant?

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Are you sure the DCX2496 is THX compliant?
    Morning, Na mate, that would be the dbx 4800 that is THX approved. Although I see no reason to add the DCX2496 to the home THX realm of home cinema, there seems to be a great support for it on the forums sites.

JBL 4645

Early this afternoon I’ve set some small changes to three of the two dynamic EQ that are on the DCX2496 one is for inputs, the other is for outputs. So what I changed was the frequency at 80hz with…

Left and right channels 80Hz +7db Q 0.3 threshold -50db
    Centre channel 80Hz +8db Q 0.1 threshold -30db
    Each one above is set with, attack at 10m/s release at 501m/s

The centre channel has been delayed for weeks now at 2.55m 7.42m/s and performs very well with this afternoons feature The Mummy (1999). Sound that is usually placed off to the left or right have left centre right centre halves, and with the delay made it so easy to hear those placed off to the left and right.

When Rick throws a bag onto a table with rather jumpy Evelyn, and along with exactly clear dialogue ADR, Rick, opens up his assorted weaponry poach from centre too left channel it clearly unwraps and while following its detail made it so involving. While checking his revolvers and sticking them into his side holster placed around him, again its clearly heard. With the delay turned off it becomes slightly difficult to hear, it tends to overlap a kind of shift to the left>.

The rest of the film is still very surprising with terrific split-surrounds that where played with centre back and height. Also I decided to change the outer side JBL Control 1 that are placed to left and right on the rear wall and re-plug them with a Y lead and send the output from the EQ that controls the centre back surround and plug the loudspeaker leads up to the Marartz 1050. The last remaining channel on the Alesis RA300 is powering the middle centre back surrounds.

As soon as I get around to installing the surround amplifiers after I’ve finished with the fronts I might decide on a new plan, hence subject to change at anytime, well I’m only human.

Sub bass extension and LFE.1 via the JBL 4645 was thundering due the last part of the film, this would be where wall doors start closing down the rumbling was tickling my ear as well as pressing on me, kinder felt like the EMPIRE Leicester square. Not once did I see the Alesis RA300 go into clip but the amount of bass mid with the 80Hz boost on the dynamic EQ did a good task on the end credits with good percussion.

Yes I like the DCX2496 it surly makes a sound improvement, its well worth the wait.

Why add in all that extra gear, friend - its just adding more stages of potential noise to the system!
    I don't have any of the Alessis or dbx stuff, yet our sounds are VERY nice. We heard all manner of great thumpy bits the other night on Ghost Rider, and even with an older movie like Peter Weir's The Mosquito Coast - its just a wondrous sound with the storm blowing all around and the beach house getting blown off its base. Even the sound of the jungle ice maker getting blown to smithereens is awesome. If I need more bass I just turn up the low frequency amp. Oh yeah, some guy named Harrison Ford was in that one - one of his better roles, I think ...(grin).

Maybe you'd do better with less money on the sound "correction and enhancement gear" - and instead put more money into the actual amps and speakers. That seems to be where the audiophile folks go - less gear but purer sounds.

Unless of course, its your preference to spend all your spare time dinking with knobs.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Heather,

This is what building / adjusting home theatre is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post

Early this afternoon I’ve set some small changes to three of the two dynamic EQ that are on the DCX2496 one is for inputs, the other is for outputs. So what I changed was the frequency at 80hz with…

Left and right channels 80Hz +7db Q 0.3 threshold -50db
    Centre channel 80Hz +8db Q 0.1 threshold -30db
    Each one above is set with, attack at 10m/s release at 501m/s

The centre channel has been delayed for weeks now at 2.55m 7.42m/s and performs very well with this afternoons feature The Mummy (1999). Sound that is usually placed off to the left or right have left centre right centre halves, and with the delay made it so easy to hear those placed off to the left and right.

Yes I like the DCX2496 it surly makes a sound improvement, its well worth the wait.

Can you explain or post an image of the left/centre/right channel loudspeaker and perhaps post a block outlining what you are assigning to specific drivers in terms of bandwidth.

I realise what you are attempting goes well beyond a "typical HT" setup but I see two issues and it may pay to look at them seperately for clarity. Otherwise you may end up a cat cashing its tail with all the adjustments

1. Calibration of the L/C/R as a loudspeaker design with various crossover points, eq to correct for minor issues and where absolutely necessary some delay. From my own limited experience the sub, depending on the type and its location may requires its signal conditioned to arrive before the L/C/R as a result of group delay in the tuning and effects of a low crossover point. (see Drew Daniels system links in the Library for details)

2. Setup and Eq balancing overall for the desired THX surround sound format. This is normally a level matching and delay matching in distance with the listening postion. No doubt the size of your room and the number of surround loudspeakers will require some customised adjsutments.

Just for your own info I regularly attend the Astor and Palace George Cinema's here locally.

About 20 years ago I did a short stint managing the Hoyts Mid City centre in Melbourne and did the premier of Alien. That was about the time the whole multiplex thing happened. It was ugly, old cenema's were knocked down, projectionist lost jobs and a lot of nice old Altec systems and BIG valve amps got thrown out. The quality was crap and so was much of Hollywoods product.

But quality has turned around and the charm of going to the movies is on the way back. There's nothing quite like a big screen.

http://www.astor-theatre.com/

There is some interesting blurb of the Astor sound system.

http://www.palacecinemas.com.au/

JBL 4645
    Ian

I’ll have a look at the papers on “Drew Daniels” thanks for the links below.

I see one of my favourite films is playing at the Astor cinema next month WOW! Now that film does sound fantastic which picked up best score film editing sound effects editing and best achievement in sound all rerecord and released in Dolby stereo A type.

The Right Stuff [M] (1983)
    70mm blow-up (1.85:1) from 35mm - six-track magnetic sound
    Monday - July 16 - 7:30 PM (single feature)

That’s one film I haven’t tested out since I installed the DCX2496 and the Alesis RA300 for the fronts, maybe I’ll give it another play for the 50th or 60th time, I’ve been watching this film since late of 1988 when I brought VHS Hi-Fi stereo copy of it, it sounded great in Dolby Pro-Logic, later I brought the laserdisc and it sounded a whole lot better.

But the DVD is the crème da le crème with six channels and when those Atlas rockets start up WOW the jolt that kicks out on the LFE.1 not to mention sub bass extension it rumbles deep. And the score sounds beautiful.

I would like to see the 70mm Dolby stereo version of, The Right Stuff, it was one of those rare films I didn’t get to see in the cinema, although I think it was playing in 35mm Dolby stereo A type only, the cinema can play 70mm, but that depends whether they’ll get a 70mm Road Show print. Check it if you haven’t already seen it.

No bucks no buck Rogers.

JBL 4645
    Ian

Fascinating read on the “Drew Daniels” read I liked the last part I’ve had ring in the ears not too bad, but I’ve had (tinnitus) since I was young, adding to the fact I stay up for long hours without much sleep.

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/pe...audiophile.htm

"DISCLAIMER: A SERIOUS WORD OF WARNING

The system described here is easily capable of producing sound pressure levels far in excess of that which will cause irreversible hearing loss--don't take this lightly. You might suffer not only permanent hearing loss, but also constant ringing in the ears that can cause insomnia and lead to nervous disorders or emotional problems. JBL and this writer make no claims and take no responsibility for the design, operation or consequences of using the system described here."

1988 Drew Daniels.

Ah ha,

I get it If someone goes off the deep end around here we know WHY.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Ah ha,

I get it I someone goes off the deep end around here we know WHY.
    Yeah, and I can swim as well. But it should be noted I’m not tying to outdo any of you lot, I’m trying to outdo myself by going beyond the common home cinema sound system look, with the practical pursuit of designing a unique sounding one for myself.

If I see someone else home cinema, and say, that’s a neat idea I might apply that technique, to mine. Then why not apply it if it works!

Hi guys, I have a freind here that runs a retl operation and he sells the Behringer Ultradrive Pro DCX2496. I was considering buying one. He told me the units had a 70% failure rate so they had stopped selling them.I thought this was rather alarming. Has anyone here ever had any problems with reliability?

Allan.

Thread Information