Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Behringer DCX2496 digital x-over any good

JBL 4645
    The monitor AB and C modes are fairly good so if I where to assign centre channel and select the monitor on channel 2 for the time being and call up the input for B I can select A or C for compression tests on the centre.

For example I used (reference film material only) Star Trek the motion picture original 1979 Dolby stereo mix that was transferred from laserdisc to DVD-RW for my own personal use!

The films got some very impressive dialogue panning and sound effects usage that I place on the DVD and then use the (DCX 2496) to match levels. But there’s also the dts demonstration disc, with track 14 all channels wideband pink noise is very useful in adjusting timbre matching over the matching LCR JBL control 5.

JBL 4645
    Another feature is the delay short or long and it worked out very well with DIE HARD last night with the sound of the buildings explosion and “John McClane” hanging from the outside widow beating it down with his feet, then pushes himself away from the window and taking aim with his (Beretta 92) shots out the window the close ups from the interior shot with each piece of glass on the left and right breaking away with precision and then the shattering plunge throw the window, WOW!

Yes the (DCX 2496) really can make films shine better without the substandard approach where its very common in most homes film soundtracks tend to be too bright and less accurate sounding.

As to the settings of the long and short it’s different for all home cinema set-ups. But its an invaluable feature on the unit that works very well.

JBL 4645
    Did I mention the memory (flash cards) for storing information, well that’s something I’ll have to buy next. The more EQ X-over as well as the other features I use on the (DCX 2496) the free memory becomes less and less on the unit. Not sure if the updates from Behringer, for the (DCX 2496) will greatly extend the units features?

JBL 4645
    Must say one of my favourite films at the moment is Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan

With each cut back to each starship, the tension slowly builds up in layers, which probably why Star Trek II is the best Star Trek adventure action film still to this time

“They still haven’t raised there shields”
    The mood of the music on left and rights have a more musical sound to it now with low string movement.
    “Raise are ours”

“There shields are going up”

“Lock phasers on target”
    The string movement starts to pitch a little higher
    “Locking phasers on target”

They’re locking phasers”
    “Raise shields”
    Until it peaks climate and Khan yells out in mad rage!
    “FIRE!”

The phaser fire from U.S.S. Reliant crosses from screen left to centre extremely fast with a mild lower level on screen right. Fantastic, Khannnn, Khannnn…

The (DCX 2496) is a whole lot of fun once set-up and thou it depends greatly on the matching LCR it’s a blast.

Anyway since last night I’ve changed the input EQ, and only this afternoon went though the whole thing again step by step (LCR) with small trims at -1db.
    2.03khz -1db Q 0.1
    3.04khz -1db Q 0.1
    4.02khz -1db Q 0.1
    5.08khz –1db Q 0.1
    6.03khz -1db Q 0.1
    7.01khz -1db Q 0.5
    8.14khz -1db Q 0.4
    9.06khz -1db Q 0.04
    10.1khz 1db Q 0.3

Dynamic EQ inputs left and right
    2.30khz -2db Q 0.1

Centre
    2.30khz +2db Q 0.5

Left and right
    Threshold -10db
    Ratio 1.1:1
    Attack 10m/s
    Release 20m/s

Centre
    Threshold -10db
    Ratio 2.5:1
    Attack 10m/s
    Release 20m/s

Anyway I’ll explore the inputs now and free date space % is very limited now.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Left and right
    Threshold -10db
    Ratio 1.1:1
    Attack 10m/s
    Release 20m/s
    Riveting info on the EQ...

Anyway, your C/L settings might benefit from a slightly faster attack and slower release. I'd try attack at ~5ms and release at 500ms or even higher. I think you meant "Release 200ms" in your post...? Regardless, shorter release times, especially with this sort of material, can result in an audible "pumping", which you don't want. All units are a bit different, so "it depends".

Also, that ratio is almost "why bother...?", but if you dig it, cool.

And, use "soft knee" if it's an option...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

JBL 4645
    boputnam

Thanks mate for the formula I’ll input the data into the (DCX 2496).

JBL 4645
    Setting the delay or resetting the configuration and after playing “Apollo 13” (dts THX laserdisc) from chapter 15 where buttons are pressed and switches moved over on screen left it was so easy to hear the difference this (DCX 2496) can make some part of the sounds where mixed in the centre channel. The sounds that where kinder in-between would be suited for left-centre and right-centre

Still it was rewarding to hear it sounded like the cinema to me.

Centre channel

Short delay
    800 mm
    2.33m/s

Long delay
    2.65m
    7.71 m/s

The left and right are still in the process of being addressed later in the day. I have only a few hundreds or so less films to try out and once I’ve got figured out that’s the way it’s going to be here.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Flodstroem View Post
    Hello folks!

Sitting here and planning to change some of my audio gear to more flexible parts, if its a benefit, I dont know.

What I plan to do is to get rid of my Ashly 4-way stereo XR4001 analog x-over and then buy two new Behringer DCX2496 digital x-overs, but I dont know how they sound. Anybody here who have a longer of time experience to this digital x-over? To me it looks to be a little bit complicated to all this programmings one must do before one is able to use it. But the possibilities looks to be infinitive and if buying two of those it will cover my needs that the older XR4001 couldnt do, a 5-way stereo soundstage.
    So, is there someone who can post some comments, positives and negatives no matter what, then I should be grateful.

Thanks in Advance

Regards
    behringer is COPY, and it grows old rather bad, I'm sound maker and I know what I tell. They are burglars of great technology from prestigious names, and built in ASIA.
    The reason why their products are not expensive.
    You know certainly than children work in ASIA, the reason why I don't understant how we can speak of this name on a respectable LANSING forum.
    Best reGARD

[quote=JBL 4645;170619]Did I mention the memory (flash cards) for storing information, well that’s something I’ll have to buy next. The more EQ X-over as well as the other features I use on the (DCX 2496) the free memory becomes less and less on the unit. Not sure if the updates from Behringer, for the (DCX 2496) will greatly extend the units features?[/quote

HELLO,
    I VE SEEN THE PHOTO POSTER with JBL logo vitch is rather nice.
    Where do you find this publicity with JBL DOLBY and THX ?
    could you send me this nice poster to [email protected]
    THANKS A LOT
    BEST REGARD

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by organeu View Post
    behringer is COPY, and it grows old rather bad, I'm sound maker and I know what I tell. They are burglars of great technology from prestigious names, and built in ASIA.
    The reason why their products are not expensive.
    You know certainly than children work in ASIA, the reason why I don't understant how we can speak of this name on a respectable LANSING forum.
    Best reGARD
    WTF, ok so they take some liberty I don’t care besides I’ve saved a fortune with the (DCX 2496) a fortune so I don’t really give a four xxxx for anything else.

How’s this going to sound hay, the next time I phone Behringer, and ask for some technical help and then say, excuse me sir but are you a
    How’s this going to sound hay, the next time I phone Behringer, and ask for some technical help and then say, excuse me sir but are you a burglar? LOL, they’ll slam the phone down on me.
    ? LOL, they’ll slam the phone down on me.

JBL 4645
    organeu

Oh mate it's too early in the day for this and besides the Americans, are sleeping in bed at this time hehehehe. So how’s the weather in France, raining?

JBL 4645
    [quote=organeu;171091]
    Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Did I mention the memory (flash cards) for storing information, well that’s something I’ll have to buy next. The more EQ X-over as well as the other features I use on the (DCX 2496) the free memory becomes less and less on the unit. Not sure if the updates from Behringer, for the (DCX 2496) will greatly extend the units features?[/quote

HELLO,
    I VE SEEN THE PHOTO POSTER with JBL logo vitch is rather nice.
    Where do you find this publicity with JBL DOLBY and THX ?
    could you send me this nice poster to [email protected]
    THANKS A LOT
    BEST REGARD
    organeu

I see you edited the text. Where did I see this advertisement, I’m assume you mean the concept of putting this together yes? I saw a new sound system design for the (Empire Leicester square) cinema which is located in London.

I saw the (dbx 4800) that they where using and after a few months looking around for other things related to cinema sound systems I stumbled onto the Behringer (DCX 2496) I then did a little more research and discovered the music shop called Turnkey based in London, was doing the unit for a staggering £168.98p WOW could I refuse a crazy price like that.

I knew this would solve a lot of simple but hard sounding issues and so far its been superb.

JBL 4645
    WTF ok now tell me do these look familiar Control 1 ring any bells?

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by discus96 View Post
    dear friends,

I have been spending quite some time trying to set the crossover points of my dcx 2496 but I'm unable to, can you please help??

I have a couple of bi-amped spakers and a couple of single amped speakers to be run with the DCX.
    I need to set the crossover points for the first four outputs and no crossover for output 5 and 6 that shoul drive the monoamped speakers. How to do it??

If I set the system LH LH LH
    12 34 56

In the output pages I set x-over points to free but it looks all the outputs are still linked and if I change x-over in output 12 34 it also changes the 45 outputs??

What Am I doing wrong??

Thank you

I was going to say the same thing in different topic yes! I have also experienced that and there’s got to be a reason for this?

I would like independent control over each crossover setting in LH 12 LH 34 LH 56 if this is something to do with the software programming of the pre-set modes then I guess where going to find this a somewhat rather difficult choice at setting the control outputs.

Partly the blame is the owner’s manual it’s not clear laid out and it tends to skip a few unanswered questions?

JBL 4645
    Just sent “Behringer” a question regarding the issue about the (crossover settings) hopefully I should get a response within the next 48 hours.

"Hello there.

Well I have discovered that when set in crossover mode for Left centre and Right outputs of the (DCX2496) is that, when I adjust the time delay setting on the input B its translating the same information over to A and C.

Also when I adjust the crossover differently with the intent of independence on channels (3L and 4H) its gets translated over to channels (1L 2H 5L 6H).

Now is there way so I can access the unit for more impendent control as I need to have the control over the (DCX2696).

Or is there a program that you can make for me that well allow me to have the flexibility and control as this one of the reason why I brought the DCX2496 in the first palace on the belief I would have more control over the Left centre right issues."

Thread Information