Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Behringer DCX2496 digital x-over any good

Dood...!!

I'm guessing that cement form is about 1m in diameter? Perfect...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Mike

Can I order one of those?

Ken

JBL 4645
    Note: too hold the plugs and cable in place I used (BLU TACK) it worked a treat in holding things together while keeping my hands free to do the soldering.

Leads from AVR Dolby processing to (DCX2496)

RCA phone plug (red wire) to XLR male plug (pin 2 hot positive)
    RCA phone plug (black wire) to XLR male plug (pin 3 cold negative)

Blimey talk about a fiddly task if they only had the right cable F&*)k the soldering has just slipped onto the carpet with a f*76king hole ERRR!

I’m not pleased with the connection, I’ll have to buy some (installation tape) too cover the end up has tightly as possible to prevent movement on the RCA end damn that smell is turning my tummy. Looks like I’m going to have to buy a new carpet a cheap one, I mean I don’t like the colour of it anyway.

That was yesterday and so far I haven’t finished the output XLR leads it was almost a disaster last night, maybe I’m getting old or it could have been the light in the room it wasn’t bright enough to see what I was doing, I mean I had to use a magnifying glass to make sure I’m soldering the correct pins from the XLR to the RCA phone.

And that hole in the carpet doesn’t look good either.

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Great idea, Allen - only I find those too light-weight.
    I agree they are light weight. I have been wanting to epoxy it to a piece of wood to form a better base but havn't gotten around to it.

Allen

I've been using one of these - damned handy but a little large. Something on a stiff gooseneck would be more workable...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Hello
    Ken and for that matter anyone else. If your interested in one of my third hand helper holders I guess I could make up a few, let me know. I could spray paint in any custom color if that would same color of any leftover spray paint that I have!

Should I put a disclaimer on them to the effect of:
    "This product is only intended for use in soldering electronic equipment such as but not limited to, holding wires while tinning, holding connectors while tinning and soldering wires to them, any soldering task that requires a stable base to hold work in place while the solder repair is being done. Using this product for any use other than electronic repair and or soldering is a matter of personal choice."

Mike Caldwell

JBL 4645
    I've been using one of these - damned handy but a little large. Something on a stiff gooseneck would be more workable...
    Now that’s a good handy tool but I remember Tandy did one here in the UK during the 1980’s that was so affordable it had crocodile clippers on the ends to hold the item plus it could be positioned to make it easy for soldering. I wonder if Maplin is doing this item I think it was called “hands free?”

JBL 4645
    "Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Its arrived at 11:30am I asked if I could shake the deliver guys hand I embraced his hand for the delivery of the (DCX2496). Now I can start unpacking and putting it together.

Let’s see what she’s got.

So far its taken me over 11 hours to get some output assigned to one of the front channels the JBL Control 5 is set up in full range mode for the time being until I start gradually moving over to newer amplification and set the LCR in active mode with the correct amount of low mid for the (LF bass mid driver) and high range to the tweeter HF with a crossover point set at the 2Khz region, dear god give me strength!

So I’ve got to figure out how to get Left and Right performing.

Left channel is outputting from the AVR with RCA phone and XLR going to the input on the (DCX 2496) output is XLR output going to the Marantz 1050.
    Still now sound output!

Centre channel is outputting from the AVR with RCA phone and XLR going to the input on the (DCX 2496) output is XLR output going to the Marantz 1050.
    Playing now!

Right channel is outputting from the AVR with RCA phone and XLR going to the input on the (DCX 2496) output is XLR output going to the Marantz 1050.
    Still no sound output!

I can monitor though the unit via assigning the (menu) and going though the (parameters) and via switching the though A and C I can hear Left A and Right C, except I haven’t achieved proper output from the unit to the second Marantz 1050 that will drive the (stereo) left and right.

JBL 4645
    Well I’ve managed to get a music out of the Right channel now except when playing (Madonna) track 8 “Live To Tell” the left sound like it was playing though a filter and after switching CD disc over to the (dts CD demo disc) and playing track 14 in repeat mode I noticed the pink noise was indeed filtered off.

Anyway I’ve corrected the frequency output and noticed in the full band mode I can cut the lows at any point, very nice indeed and this is what I was looking for.

Still not out of the woods yet I’ve still got a long way to go, I’m just worried with what other surprises are in store.

Talk about get blood from a stone!

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    ...Its arrived at 11:30am I asked if I could shake the deliver guys hand I embraced his hand for the delivery of the (DCX2496).
    Odd. Most feel that warmth when the delivery guy takes the Behringer away...

Anyway, back to your reality...

You should be able to assign any input to any output. Start simple get it working, then expand your deployment.

I'd start two-channel, Source as A (= L) and B (= R).
    Go to the Output (1-6) menus and select "Source" (A, B, or C). Most users of these order the Outputs as follows:
    1 - L LF
    2 - L MF
    3 - L HF
    4 - R LF
    5 - R MF
    6 - R HF

I don't order them this way, but that seems to be a sorta convention.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Bo Says

"Odd. Most feel that warmth when the delivery guy takes the Behringer away... "

Perfectly said

At least I got an idea for another thread from this comic strip

Oldmics

JBL 4645
    Odd. Most feel that warmth when the delivery guy takes the Behringer away...

You should be able to assign any input to any output. Start simple get it working, then expand your deployment.

I'd start two-channel, Source as A (= L) and B (= R).
    Go to the Output (1-6) menus and select "Source" (A, B, or C). Most users of these order the Outputs as follows:
    1 - L LF
    2 - L MF
    3 - L HF
    4 - R LF
    5 - R MF
    6 - R HF

I don't order them this way, but that seems to be a sorta convention.
    boputnam

Well I’ve managed after nearly 13 hours to get the sound outputting from the unit. It had something to do with the (mute) and puzzling as it may seem I’ve kinder had sound from the centre channel earlier in the day only it was kinder noisy! I think it was also to do with the leads as I’ve checked and checked them over via mating the male and female leads together to see if there was break in the connection and all was well from AVR to Marantz 1050 amplifiers.

Yes its been a gruelling 13 hours and only now, my kneecaps are aching due to the psoriasis condition that I have suffered with for over 20 years.

Anyway I’m doing, a bit of experimentation with the input and output EQ and audio limiters.

I’m do a HEAT Dolby test with some passages from the film to see what I can do with the crazy over the top mix as it’s a very complex Dolby film mix.

Thanks for helping out I was kinder thinking I could assign any input channel to the outputs so far I’m using (channel 1 for Left channel 2 for Centre and channel 3 for Right). When I get around to buying the new A-500 amplifies, starting sometime next week where I’ll buy one at a time as I’m not made of money all the JBL control 5, LCR fronts are all going active with the crossover.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Thanks for helping out I was kinder thinking I could assign any input channel to the outputs so far I’m using (channel 1 for Left channel 2 for Centre and channel 3 for Right). When I get around to buying the new A-500 amplifies, starting sometime next week where I’ll buy one at a time as I’m not made of money all the JBL control 5, LCR fronts are all going active with the crossover.
    Uh, OK. That is certainly a way to deploy this unit.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

JBL 4645
    boputnam

Well it’s got lots of potential in the, users manual the final goal is to as you said and as I’ve been planning it out now for the last few months is to use

Channel input A Left / with channel outputs for Right channel on outputs (1 LF and 2 HF)

Channel input B centre / with channel outputs for Centre channel on outputs 3 LF and 4 HF)

Channel input C Right / with channel outputs for Left channel on outputs 5 LF and 6 HF)

A second unit would be used for additional sub bass extension for the fronts that will be assigned to the ether the JBL 4645 or the other sub bass unit, I haven’t decided on that issue yet.

A third unit for the left sidewall surrounds centre back surrounds right sidewall surrounds.

A fourth unit for height surrounds and LFE.1.

Anyway I’m getting some sleep now rest I’m totally done in!

Plus I might change all the EQ’s for 1/3 octave band types for one for L & R and one for C & centre back surround one for left& right sidewall surrounds, one for height surrounds and LFE.1.

Well getting some kip now.

JBL 4645
    Well I’ve now managed to get a little more hands on practical use of the unit, and thou the matching LCR fronts are only assigned for full spectrum sound until I start buying the new amplification. I’d like to start of with one next week for the centre channel use and then get one for the left or right channel makes no differences, except I won’t connect them until I have all three amplifiers.

Assigning the wide and narrow frequency bands for smooth high range was apparent on Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan with a more accurate approach during the attack sequence on the Enterprise.

When Kirk says visual there’s a hissing sound of the turbo door opening to the left and about 1 second later pans to the centre channel. In the past it was a kinder muddy masked sound that was so diffused as well as difficult to hear on the left channel, but now thanks to the (DCX 2496) array of features and technology software its more easier on the ear.

Sorry the digital camera can’t focus when up and close to objects.

So what changes did I make, first after exploring the unit with a more hands on experience I noticed I can ether narrow the band or wider the frequency band, so with 7.2Khz set to (((wide))) as to the value well its different for all users rooms and depending on whether the user as matching LCR it would be pointless discussing in greater detail.

So is the (DCX 2496) worth the (£174.99), absolutely and I can’t wait to buy a few more as it really can shape the sound into a more cinematic approach within the room excellent value for money.

Thread Information