Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Thread: Behringer DCX2496 digital x-over any good

Well, you just have the 160 ohms, +22dBu balanced outputs ( x 6 each) so why do you need a preamp?

Im going to use a XLR patch panel (12 in, 12 out) including an LDR level control.
    Sure, It also works with a stacked rotary switch type 20-23 positions-6 wafers (one wafer for each output).

If using LDR´s I need a power supply but if using a stacked switch I dont even need a power supply.

Im going to try the LDR-approach because then I could easily add an IR-remote level control
    Flodstroem

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Flodstroem View Post
    Well, you just have the 160 ohms, +22dBu balanced outputs ( x 6 each) so why do you need a preamp?

Im going to use a XLR patch panel (12 in, 12 out) including an LDR level control.
    Sure, It also works with a stacked rotary switch type 20-23 positions-6 wafers (one wafer for each output).

If using LDR´s I need a power supply but if using a stacked switch I dont even need a power supply.

Im going to try the LDR-approach because then I could easily add an IR-remote level control
    Well I was guessing in lowering the output levels to amps as I might want the amps set accordantly to the type of loudspeakers and by lowering the level sent from the DCX2496 to prevent any overload distortion issues, with the amps, I can place a preamp in-between the DCX2496 and the amps and lower the level and then place custom made plate over the front of the preamp to prevent the dial getting knocked.

Also some come with IR remote, (some) then point the remote at all preamps and rise and lower the volume level at the same time, or, or! Take the IR from one preamp and wire it into the rest of the preamps to make sure the remote controls all preamps simultaneously.

One remote might miss one or two of the same preamps so it’s better to find the IR inside the preamp and disconnect it from the PCB and wire solder up a single IR to control all preamps at the same time.

No! I think some devices come with phone like jack, that’s fitted to the back of the device that can be mated to another device of the same type, so no need to solder up a single IR, unless the device doesn’t support a remote jack on the back.

Yeah that’s not a bad idea! Why didn’t I think of this last year.
    Mind you, does take up extra rack space.

Someone comes around you’re home and asks you. You need all this, gear just to listen to simple stereo.

JBL 4645, scroll down to picture #7 there you will find one example of level control using a switch (by member Jack Bouska)
    http://jgbouska.tripod.com/audio/sub_index_graphs.htm
    Flodstroem

Quote Originally Posted by jbl 4645 View Post
    someone comes around you’re home and asks you. you need all this, gear just to listen to simple stereo.:d
    absolutely
    Flodstroem

JBL 4645
    absolutely
    Well it’s true. A friend said this, to me some 20 years ago and I wasn’t even running half to what I’m running now. See in cinema you don’t expect a rack on the booth fitted with decoding processors and another rack fitted with amps.

Thou I do agree with a simple AVR but not one, simple just AVR not even overpriced ones satisfy me. I prefer the option of adding on as it offers interesting results, thou sometimes it may not, it depends on the idea and whether or not that idea will work? So far I’ve managed to add on a bit more than want my simple AVR can do, its merely being used as decoder, while extra add-ons do a bit more.

JBL 4645
    JBL 4645, scroll down to picture #7 there you will find one example of level control using a switch (by member Jack Bouska)
    http://jgbouska.tripod.com/audio/sub_index_graphs.htm
    That a long volume pot! Its longer than, the Merseyside tunnel.

My cat keeps standing up in front of the screen and I can’t see what, I’m typing. They are fidgety creatures.

Yeah I see what you mean now. So is that single volume pots bolted together to make up one long multi-channel volume pot?

How’s it he has managed to get the input at -10db? At best I see the main three inputs at -20db I rarely see it at -10db or even 0db with most film laserdisc/DVD/ bluray/ as well as CD, (well I might see -10db on some CD).

Oh, he's only using it for stereo only inputs from the looks of the main inputs A and B. No that looks like its near clipping amber light is lighting up, no I rarely see mine that close.

Is there an input level cut and boast that I overlooked in the users manual?

That also looks like a ripping circuit track inside the device.

I guess the case was the only one he had available, otherwise he could be bit slimmer in height, seeing there’s not much inside the box. Yeah I like it.

Oh, by the way neat cool link. Subs down to 2Hz that’s plenty low enough a bit extreme but rarely does most music or film soundtrack content extend that far down, only a few, or is it more, like 100 titles now? I’d say that’s still few considering the some odd 9 or so millions of films made since the dawn of film on worldwide scale. (I mean late 1900's 1927).

I rarely see any of my CD collection going anywhere near 10Hz much less 2Hz.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Yeah I see what you mean now. So is that single volume pots bolted together to make up one long multi-channel volume pot?
    Yes thats correct
    How’s it he has managed to get the input at -10db? At best I see the main three inputs at -20db I rarely see it at -10db or even 0db with most film laserdisc/DVD/ bluray/ as well as CD, (well I might see -10db on some CD).
    Oh, he's only using it for stereo only inputs from the looks of the main inputs A and B. No that looks like its near clipping amber light is lighting up, no I rarely see mine that close.
    He(like me) uses the digital AES/EBU input selection. Then those LED´s dont have any function (I think) due to the inputs only feeds with a digital stream, not with a dynamic analog clipping signal
    But Im not sure about that because I have only used my filters for a very short period for the digital stereo so Im not used to it....yet
    Is there an input level cut and boast that I overlooked in the users manual?
    No I dont think you have overlooked anything. There is only a marginal information concerning the digital usage of the filter, sadly to say. I wanted moooooore............

Oh, by the way neat cool link. Subs down to 2Hz that’s plenty low enough a bit extreme but rarely does most music or film soundtrack content extend that far down, only a few, or is it more, like 100 titles now? I’d say that’s still few considering the some odd 9 or so millions of films made since the dawn of film on worldwide scale. (I mean late 1900's 1927).

And think of this: those "10 Hz sub"s are TL (Transmission Line) -speakers!!?? Not a small bazooka-sub
    Flodstroem

JBL 4645
    Yes thats correct

He(like me) uses the digital AES/EBU input selection. Then those LED´s dont have any function (I think) due to the inputs only feeds with a digital stream, not with a dynamic analog clipping signal
    But Im not sure about that because I have only used my filters for a very short period for the digital stereo so Im not used to it....yet

(No I dont think you have overlooked anything. There is only a marginal information concerning the digital usage of the filter, sadly to say. I wanted moooooore............)

And think of this: those "10 Hz sub"s are TL (Transmission Line) -speakers!!?? Not a small bazooka-sub
    I for one agree! More! I want more of its full use to use all the PEQ filers on ABC inputs and each of the 6 outputs along with dynamicEQ ABC input and each of the 6 outputs as well as using the steepest 48db Linkwitz-Riley or Butterworth filter without the DCX2496 telling me, I’ve got no CPU left on it reduce filters etc, etc…sigh!

I have found a way to trick the DCX2469 into getting more filters its not easy and you have to be FAST at doing it!

You start adding the filters like dynamicEQ from left to right but you have to really FAST otherwise the DCX2496 will prevent you from adding anymore filters on by the time, you reached channels 4 and 5.

You still need at least some 12% if you wanted to use PEQ filters while having 24db L-R filters on channels 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 for basic two-way LF HF use. You can get away with 9 PEQ bands on LF and around x4 for HF on each of its outputs.

If you really, really push it, to 42 PEQ filters the menu screen on the DCX2496 starts to go wonky, what I mean is the display becomes jittery and goes all fuzzy like, so don’t push too hard.

You have to add the filters in within at least 1 to 2 seconds. Its like press enter the filter then move to next channel and the next channel before the DCX2496 susses out what you’re up to.

When I get the time, I’ll make a youtube video that shows how fast it’s done.

I’d be surprised if the dbx4800 had the same issues for £1.5grand DSP crossover.

I only use the filters for my "stereo": 6 dB on sub (< 60 Hz) + bass (60-250), and 6 dB on lower mid + 24 dB-L.R. (250-1 kHz and upwards) on mid (1 kHz-4kHz) and heights 4-20 kHz)).

I have two DCX2496 making no problem with filter arrangements. But I should remember your tips given here JBL 4645. if need be, Thanks
    Flodstroem

JBL 4645

The other video hasn’t finished processing LousyTube!

JBL 4645
    The other video has finished its processing the site is running like snail a tonight.

I'm into HEAT with DCX this early morning I can watch this, flick all day long without getting bored with it, it rocks on the DCX.

That a long volume pot! Its longer than, the Merseyside tunnel.
    Oh, by the way neat cool link. Subs down to 2Hz that’s plenty low enough a bit extreme

To see the latest version of my six way volume control, go to post numbers #31 and #34 of the "big blue" thread (link below):

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ger#post132788

I give a short description of how to build the mult-gang pot
    I am currently using a pair of DCX2496's in a six way configuration, with a recently acquired pair of JBL 2269H 18" in the transmission line cabinets. (very low, very loud)

Jack bouska
    2x: JBL 2269h, Altec 3182, JBL 1401nd, JBL 2123, JBL 2441, TAD2002, 6-way DCX2496 xover, 8kW. for info, google: Jack Bouska

JBL 4645
    jack_bouska

Shot never the less. The volume pot on the Maplin version you listed. Can that plastic be melted at the back with soldering iron to shape it for the next volume pot to be mated together? Would you recommend superglue to bond the parts together?

Wow the item is still listed!
    Standard Dual-Gang Potentiometers £2.52
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=2207

Okay I’m, going to buy some parts week after next week.

What about the PCB did you get that from Maplin or elsewhere? PCB, board won’t cost much.

XLR inputs and outputs that’s not big deal ether they don’t cost too much.

What about the chassis box where did you get the parts for that? Or was it some item that didn’t work and you gutted it made some metal plates and cut the holes in the metal for the XLR plugs?

Still even a plastic box sold at Maplin even if its square would still work just as long as all, the parts are assembled inside.

What did you use to shield the connections as XLR have three pins and I see you only used two wires connected to the XLR?

Thou I like what you’ve done, really smart looking.

I see I already posted a comment on that thread 3 years ago, wow doesn’t time, fly!

What was the final cost of you’re project?

Cheers

JBL 4645, you could have a look at this page. I purchased a panel like this for my level control box. Maybe you also could find some useful parts in there?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
    Flodstroem

I see I already posted a comment on that thread 3 years ago, wow doesn’t time, fly! Cheers
    Yea! and when getting older a year goes twice as fast
    Flodstroem

Thread Information