Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Behringer DCX2496 digital x-over any good

USB to Serial RS-232 adapter ( does work ! )

Quote Originally Posted by myself

- I'd just buy a networking cable / plug it in ( to the computers' networking port ) / & give it a go .
    - One may need to reboot ( if the Behringer was powered up last ) for the hand-shaking to start up between the two units .

- A company that I do work for has one of these DCX units ( & I now have the software ).

So ;

- I'll borrow their unit later next week and give this theory a test ( if Ash wants to wait ) .
    Quote Originally Posted by me again
    Well Okay, I suppose that a bit of caution is warranted .

WARNING KIDS : DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME !!!!

- FWIW ; I did a bunch of Googling yesterday on adapting the RS-485 protocol to a cat5 connection / without coming to any firm conclusion
    Well I did borrow a DCX2496 and after much dialogue with some PC gurus I did connect the DCX to my laptops RJ45 networking port with a networking cable .

Guess what ? My computer didn't blow up / unfortunately , as expected by this point , my computers' networking port does not do double duty as a RS485 serial port ( which would have been too easy ).

My next attempt at a connectivity solution worked like a charm ( well, after a couple of hours of driver installation madness ) .

This solution was to break down and go buy a USB to Serial RS232 converter .

This is the little fella that I bought from TigerDirect here in Toronto .

- I got it for $14.00 ( $5.00 less than list ) .
    - It comes packaged with a 24" USB to USB extension cable / which is just long enough to get the DCX up and running .
    - I now need to buy at least a ten foot USB extension cable to ever use this setup, live on a gig .
    - The pictured unit ships with the USB to Serial emulation drivers on a mini CD .
    - Installing the included drivers is where I ran into my problems . My laptop doesn't have a tray type DVD player / it just has one of those slot-loaders ( where one slides the CD/DVD in until it disappears and you hope for the best ).
    - These slot-loaders will not load the mini CD ( I tried ) .
    - The solution was to use another computer with a tray loading DVD player and then copy the mini-discs' drivers onto that computer, to then burn a new full size install disc ( all in all a real PITA ). Or one can copy this onto a USB memory stick .
    - Copying the minidisc contents onto a USB memory stick, only sort of worked for me / most likely because I was copying PC contents ( from DVD player through an old MAC onto a USB memory stick / it's a wonder any data made it through ) .

cheers <>

PS : the DCX software works as it should / and offers a few good ways ( for the inexperienced user ) to damage their speakers .

Maybe another warning is in order :

WARNING KIDS : TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN PERIL !!!!

1000 bonus points

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    The real question is, do you have a Network card in that tower of yours?
    ... 'cause, ... if you can't figure out how to get the Serial port going, and you don't have a network card already working in there now, its just another endless Digital Configuration Dance you have to learn ...

Honestly - it just may not be worth the grief if you are not up on computer port & hardware setups - but - I think we came to that answer 5 pages back, ya think?
    By that do you mean a USB network card?

Yes I have USB two ports on the rear of the pc tower.

I need someone to just show me, how its done and I’ll just watch and take what, I can onboard for later use.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post

Well I did borrow a DCX2496 and after much dialogue with some PC gurus I did connect the DCX to my laptops RJ45 networking port with a networking cable .

Guess what ? My computer didn't blow up / unfortunately , as expected by this point , my computers' networking port does not do double duty as a RS485 serial port ( which would have been too easy ).

My next attempt at a connectivity solution worked like a charm ( well, after a couple of hours of driver installation madness ) .

This is the little fella that I bought from TigerDirect here in Toronto .

- I got it for $14.00 ( $5.00 less than list ) .
    - It comes packaged with a 24" USB to USB extension cable / which is just long enough to get the DCX up and running .
    - I now need to buy at least a ten foot USB extension cable to ever use this setup, live on a gig .
    - The pictured unit ships with the USB to Serial emulation drivers on a mini CD .
    - Installing the included drivers is where I ran into my problems . My laptop doesn't have a tray type DVD player / it just has one of those slot-loaders ( where one slides the CD/DVD in until it disappears and you hope for the best ).
    - These slot-loaders will not load the mini CD ( I tried ) .
    - The solution was to use another computer with a tray loading DVD player and then copy the mini-discs' drivers onto that computer, to then burn a new full size install disc ( all in all a real PITA ). Or one can copy this onto a USB memory stick .
    - Copying the minidisc contents onto a USB memory stick, only sort of worked for me / most likely because I was copying PC contents ( from DVD player through an old MAC onto a USB memory stick / it's a wonder any data made it through ) .

cheers <>

PS : the DCX software works as it should / and offers a few good ways ( for the inexperienced user ) to damage their speakers .

Maybe another warning is in order :

WARNING KIDS : TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN PERIL !!!!
    Oh, right gotcha right that looks simple!

Cheers I'll get one next week.

Wait a second!

Now what wires go where yes I’m thinking of diy strip the lead down and wire up the connections.

Unless I can buy that plug connection for less than £5.00 pounds!

JBL 4645
    No - I did not mean a USB Network card - I meant Network card that plugs into the system bus inside the computer and gives you a Network port on the rear panel ...
    but if you don't know what I am talking about, you may not want open the PC up and plug new hardware inside it. No insult mean, but by improperly adding hardware and creating conflicts, you can foul up a working computer real easy.

That USB to Serial RS-232 adapter looks like a safer way for you to go ...
    Well I don’t want to start opening the pc unless its fan that needs replacing. I made a right dogs dinner of installing the new DVD-ROM RW drive.

So what if the connector fails to remotely operate the DCX2496 could it be the download that has failed in someway, well I’ll see how it goes next week.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    So what if the connector fails to remotely operate the DCX2496?
    Could it be the download that has failed in someway?
    Well, I’ll see how it goes next week.

Cheers
    Well, it could be that you have offended God in someway
    and thats why it won't work - but honestly, that isn't very likely either.
    Its probably not a sort of failed download .. really, its not likely.
    If the software SEEMS to be loading, that part is probably working.

The most likely reason it doesn't work is that you still don't have any working communications port
    on the computer, so there is no data path to talk to the Behringer.
    Doing all this other stuff is still avoiding the likely problem. No comms, no function.
    Not to be harsh, but - the most likely reason is the most likely reason -

Its real basic. Fix the comm port.
    If you can't do it yourself, get someone who is computer savvy to help ...

This thread has gone nowhere for days while you still don't have serial communications to the hardware.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

JBL 4645
    Well, it could be that you have offended God in someway
    and thats why it won't work - but honestly, that isn't very likely either.
    Its probably not a sort of failed download .. really, its not likely.
    If the software SEEMS to be loading, that part is probably working.

The most likely reason it doesn't work is that you still don't have any working communications port
    on the computer, so there is no data path to talk to the Behringer.
    Doing all this other stuff is still avoiding the likely problem. No comms, no function.
    Not to be harsh, but - the most likely reason is the most likely reason -

Its real basic. Fix the comm port.
    If you can't do it yourself, get someone who is computer savvy to help ...

This thread has gone nowhere for days while you still don't have serial communications to the hardware.
    Yeah it’s dragged on far too long. Let’s leave it now till next week, that’s if God doesn’t strike me down with a freak lighting bolt from overhead!

Is joke - be laughing, yes??

Anyway, hope you have a great weekend!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Yeah, I too suggested that a few meters back (...it was the only option for my laptop).

JBL 4645
    I just had a chat with (D.J. Electronics, 10min ago) about the USB/RS-232 adaptor and at £10.00 pounds, well I‘ll think about. He thought, that maybe wires (4 8 9) might need changing around to get the (hand shake) working between the pc and the DCX, I didn’t say it was DCX just device.

Oh, well I’ll ask someone tomorrow if he can pop over and have look to see if the port is (enabled).

It’s a good thing I didn’t take a USB lead and chopped it up and wired it to the RS-232 lead as the adaptor is 5volt thing, and there is something in-between the casing. I could have killed the pc.

RS 232 adaptors USB or PCIMA are not all created equal. I know that DBX and Shure are picky if you are using and adaptor to connect to their RS232 ports.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caldwell View Post
    RS 232 adapters USB or PCIMA are not all created equal. I know that DBX and Shure are picky if you are using and adapter to connect to their RS232 ports.

Right !

- The reason I purchased what I did was because the manufacturing company made the effort to post some performance specs. about their adapter .

- In my research I noticed that not all companies posted specifications for their USB-232 adapters / an omission like that triggers suspicions about the companies motives, so I just keep on researching .

Features
    • Chipset:Prolific PL-2303
    • USB Specification 1.1 compliant
    • Supports RS232 serial interface DB9
    • Supports over 1Mbps data transfer rate
    • Supports remote wake-up and power management
    • Available for USB Port
    • Supports: Windows 98/ME/2000/XP/Vista
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashley
    It’s a good thing I didn’t take a USB lead and chopped it up and wired it to the RS-232 lead as the adaptor is 5volt thing, and there is something in-between the casing. I could have killed the pc.
    Ash , note ; these adapters do have a chip embedded within them .

- Ie; as you suspected, you can't just whip these up out of spare parts, ( by soldering wire onto the proper ends ) .

<> cheers

JBL 4645
    Right !

- The reason I purchased what I did was because the manufacturing company made the effort to post some performance specs. about their adapter .

- In my research I noticed that not all companies posted specifications for their USB-232 adapters / an omission like that will usually make me suspicious about the companies motives and I'll keep on researching .

Here are the specs. for the adapter that I purchased :

Features
    • Chipset: Prolific PL-2303
    • USB Specification 1.1 compliant
    • Supports RS232 serial interface DB9
    • Supports over 1Mbps data transfer rate
    • Supports remote wake-up and power management
    • Available for USB Port
    • Supports: Windows 98/ME/2000/XP/Vista

Ash , note ; these adapters do have a chip embedded within them .

- Ie; as you suspected, you can't just whip these up out of spare parts, ( by soldering wire onto the proper ends ) .

<> cheers
    Earl
    I thought with all pc windows the standards would be universal?

Well I spoke to my mate down town and he suggested that I bring the DCX2496 down to the school and test it on one of the pc. I explained that a program needs to be loaded up and its fairly easy to delete the program, so its not an issue.

I’ll take along the same lead I made up for it and if it doesn’t work it ether the wiring but I followed the instructions as told to me by the other chap.

If it works then it’s my pc.

I’ll take it down tomorrow and see how it goes. I was going to push myself to the limit and do it today but with the heat no point rushing around, I’ll just be cool.

So all I have to do is undone the XLR leads take spare three pin power lead down with me thou there are plenty of those leads at the school.

The units’ battery back-up for the memory I think lasts for a week so unplugging it for the 30 min trip will cause no issues.

You know I think I’ll try both USB and RS-233 but the USB depends if the guy at the school as one of those adaptors.

I have spare USB lead that I’d be glad to cut in half and try and unravel what wire goes where LOL with the RS-232 and if it needs to be crossed over.

Why did I even bother this has been the worst product to speak hand-shake with the..sigh

This whole thing reminds me of the Space Shuttle Colombia on, her maiden voyage where the computers wasn’t talking and then to matters worse the back-up computers failed.

I think its down to 1 out of 3 possible mistakes (that I have made) I dislike computers.

So this USB/RS-232 connector does it have a small resistor in-between it? Or is just simply connected together and sealed in plastic to prevent opening it.

Nice weather today by the way guys.

Do not cut up USB cables. There is no point.

As Earl already mentioned, the USB<->RS-232 adapter
    is not just a wiring, pin-out, connector thing... it translates
    levels and protocols with internal circuitry.

Hoping your local friends can help.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Do not cut up USB cables. There is no point.

As Earl already mentioned, the USB<->RS-232 adapter
    is not just a wiring, pin-out, connector thing... it translates
    levels and protocols with internal circuitry.

Hoping your local friends can help.
    Okay no cutting up leads then.

I just want fitting positive outcome from all this madness. How many weeks now? Even I lost count?

If this doesn't work I'm going to be grumpy2.

Thread Information