Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Behringer DCX2496 digital x-over any good

http://support.radioshack.com/suppor...oc43/43059.htm

if it's there, it will likely be under "advanced", and "device options"

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Don't forget, you can avoid all this BIOS editing and just use a USB->serial adapter and maybe make some headway...

You have USB ports.

Attachment 45560
    bop
    That looks smart! is that an Alesis crossover management system in the diagram?

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    http://support.radioshack.com/suppor...oc43/43059.htm

if it's there, it will likely be under "advanced", and "device options"

Wow grumpy good field work research.

Its late and thou I would jump in it at, I'll get some kip in jiffy and come back to it in the morning after I've had good nights kip.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    bop
    That looks smart! is that an Alesis crossover management system in the diagram?
    No, it is the AudioCore software supporting the xta DSP's. The laptop screen images AudioCore supporting six separate DSP configs (systems), simultaneously. But, that is not the point of the posted image.

The point was to highlight the USB-serial adapter that grumpy suggested. I'm of the mind that it may be your easiest solution.

JBL 4645
    No, it is the AudioCore software supporting the xta DSP's. The laptop screen images AudioCore supporting six separate DSP configs (systems), simultaneously. But, that is not the point of the posted image.

The point was to highlight the USB-serial adapter that grumpy suggested. I'm of the mind that it may be your easiest solution.
    bop

I took a few pictures of the possible solution (I'm not going to bother posting them) seeing this whole thing as dragged 7 days now! I think I'll ask down the road about this "new option".

You sure that will work with my pc though the USB and is it cheap is it less than £20.00 if its over now way.

Chreers

twofer

xta DSP's require a one-to-one cable, but apprently not the Behringers. Oddly, their manual does not specify...
    I use a rs485 network cable to daisy-chain the two dcx's so that I can simultaneously control them both from my laptop.
    Unfortunately, I cannot individually address the dcx's to vary the setup on each (although the manual says this is possible.
    in the end, the simultaneous control (while seated at the listening position, with music playing) is more useful than individual control (which I can use at the front panel), so I have not perused the reasons why....
    jack

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by jack_bouska View Post
    I use a rs485 network cable to daisy-chain the two dcx's so that I can simultaneously control them both from my laptop.
    Unfortunately, I cannot individually address the dcx's to vary the setup on each (although the manual says this is possible.
    in the end, the simultaneous control (while seated at the listening position, with music playing) is more useful than individual control (which I can use at the front panel), so I have not perused the reasons why....
    jack
    I think it is possible. Do you have it set to run in stereo only or 5.1 or more configuration?

I just set the output configuration to LH/LH/LH over channels 1 2 3 4 5 and 6 for the LCR fronts.

Un-checked the (stereo out link) otherwise the LF or HF moves up and down at the same time if moving one of the other. Same goes for the EQ the dynamic EQ the audio limiters the whole thing! (So I set it up for independent control).

Hi Ash,

- I've looked at the manual for the DCX / and as I suspected / one must select which data port will become active & allow the 2496 to receive control commands from the computer .
    - This choice is made in the DCX unit itself .

- Since you have already failed at RS-232 control, I would suggest that you now try RS-485 protocol using a standard networking cable ( with RJ45 ends on it , I believe ) .

<> cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I'm wondering what RS-485 port would then be suggested to use on the computer...
    Often, that is an add-on board or something that -might- come on an industrial controls
    computer.

Has something as simple as verifying that the modem/terminal program that comes
    with Windows works (recognizes the rs-232 port)? Hyperterminal, IIRC...

I'm wondering what RS-485 port would then be suggested to use on the computer...
    Often, that is an add-on board or something that -might- come on an industrial controls
    computer.
    - Well "RJ45" is the same connector that's found on a computers EtherNet ( Networking ) port .

- I'd just buy a networking cable / plug it in ( to the computers' networking port ) / & give it a go .
    - One may need to reboot ( if the Behringer was powered up last ) for the hand-shaking to start up between the two units .

- A company that I do work for has one of these DCX units ( & I now have the software ).

So ;

- I'll borrow their unit later next week and give this theory a test ( if Ash wants to wait ) .

<> cheers

I'd recommend a look at rs-485 spec and pinouts (regardless of connector type),
    vs a cat5 network/Ethernet connection first...

I'd recommend a look at rs-485 spec and pinouts (regardless of connector type),
    vs a cat5 network/Ethernet connection first...
    - Well Okay, I suppose that a bit of caution is warranted .

WARNING KIDS : DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME !!!!

- FWIW ; I did a bunch of Googling yesterday on adapting the RS-485 protocol to a cat5 connection / without coming to any firm conclusion .

>< CHEERS

Nice warning. cat5 connectors and cabling
    have been used for many things because they
    are cheap, readily available, and semi-reliable.
    But it's just a connector.

The chip between the connector and CPU bus
    makes all the difference (serial UART vs. Ethernet
    transceiver). Different o/s drivers too, to accommodate
    the bus and interface.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    - Well "RJ45" is the same connector that's found on a computers EtherNet ( Networking ) port .

- I'd just buy a networking cable / plug it in ( to the computers' networking port ) / & give it a go .
    - One may need to reboot ( if the Behringer was powered up last ) for the hand-shaking to start up between the two units .

- A company that I do work for has one of these DCX units ( & I now have the software ).

So ;

- I'll borrow their unit later next week and give this theory a test ( if Ash wants to wait ) .

<> cheers
    Mate, I’ve hopelessly given up on it. sigh The unit is still attached to the pc.

But I’d listen, what you have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Hi Ash,

- I've looked at the manual for the DCX / and as I suspected / one must select which data port will become active & allow the 2496 to receive control commands from the computer .
    - This choice is made in the DCX unit itself .

- Since you have already failed at RS-232 control, I would suggest that you now try RS-485 protocol using a standard networking cable ( with RJ45 ends on it , I believe ) .

<> cheers
    I’d ask about the connector for this next week when I do the shopping.

Is there a picture of this device that connects to pc?

So basically I’d have to use a USB lead output that is working and they are all working on the pc! Use the USB as the remote to control the DCX.

But I have feeling the program might be damaged on the (installing) I even deleted it and reinstalled and it’s the same issue? Something is not right?

The real question is, do you have a Network card in that tower of yours?
    ... 'cause, ... if you can't figure out how to get the Serial port going, and you don't have a network card already working in there now, its just another endless Digital Configuration Dance you have to learn ...

Honestly - it just may not be worth the grief if you are not up on computer port & hardware setups - but - I think we came to that answer 5 pages back, ya think?

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Mate, I’ve hopelessly given up on it. sigh The unit is still attached to the pc.

But I’d listen, what you have to say.

I’d ask about the connector for this next week when I do the shopping.

Is there a picture of this device that connects to pc?

So basically I’d have to use a USB lead output that is working and they are all working on the pc! Use the USB as the remote to control the DCX.

But I have feeling the program might be damaged on the (installing) I even deleted it and reinstalled and it’s the same issue? Something is not right?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information