Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Behringer DCX2496 digital x-over any good

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    I've not read the manual, don't want to, and expect that any firmware uploads would be
    through the serial port... but I see no evidence that you've connected the unit to your PC
    properly. Are you using a 'null-modem' cable, as has been stated by several folks who I
    am quite sure know what they are talking about? This would at the very least swap pins
    2 and 3 from one end of the cable to the other... it is -not- a straight through cable.
    gumpy

No sorry you have got my stumped on the term (Null modem cable)?

It’s connected to the right output terminal on the pc as, bop, said.

Mind you this is an old pc that was used in school and maybe the terminals where disconnected.

Hey its not huge loss, I only wanted to see if it would make the task a little easier. Apparently not! LOL

I’ve had firmware updates to the bluray player without a single hitch.

Why this isn’t (or I’ve really overlooked the simplest task in connecting this up) sigh…I’m, stumped on this, one fellers.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    I was going to warn of that too, but...

xta DSP's require a one-to-one cable, but apprently not the Behringers. Oddly, their manual does not specify...
    Whoa, whoa hold on a second there!

Do you mean the cable that patches into the (modem rooter) and plug an extra lead from that device over to the DCX2496 Ethernet lead input?

The one thing I dislike the most is the Behringer user manuals.

Blimey it needs decryption (page for page) to make the illogical sound logical.

There isn’t even a trouble shooting page in this manual!

JBL 4645
    (Top picture) shows the RS-232 connected to the DCX2496

(Bottom picture) shows it connected to right output on the pc.

And yes I’m sure I can find way around this cables.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

There is a regular RS-232 cable ... and then there is a NULL Modem Cable!

In a Null Modem Cable, the transmit and receive lines are reversed on one end, compared to a normal RS-232 ...

(OR, you can buy a Null Modem Adapter - its a dongle connects to one end of a regular cable - it flips that pair so you can use it with a REGULAR RS-232 cable)

The Wikipedia explains it pretty well -
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Null_modem_cable

If you are NOT getting communications with the Behringer,
    using the wrong cable is PROBABLY your problem.

(Normal use of a Null modem cable would be when you connect 2 PCs together through the serial port - its kind of an obscure cable ...)

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Whoa, whoa hold on a second there!

Do you mean the cable that patches into the (modem rooter) and plug an extra lead from that device over to the DCX2496 Ethernet lead input?

The one thing I dislike the most is the Behringer user manuals.

Blimey it needs decryption (page for page) to make the illogical sound logical.

There isn’t even a trouble shooting page in this manual!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    There is a regular RS-232 cable ... and then there is a NULL Modem Cable!

In a Null Modem Cable, the transmit and receive lines are reversed on one end, compared to a normal RS-232 ...

(OR, you can buy a Null Modem Adapter - its a dongle connects to one end of a regular cable - it flips that pair so you can use it with a REGULAR RS-232 cable)

The Wikipedia explains it pretty well -
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Null_modem_cable

If you are NOT getting communications with the Behringer,
    using the wrong cable is PROBABLY your problem.

(Normal use of a Null modem cable would be when you connect 2 PCs together through the serial port - its kind of an obscure cable ...)
    No not wrong cable (male and female) on each end of the cables otherwise I wouldn’t be able to connect the two ends up.

It’s puzzling. I should have had this up and running days ago.

Anyway I’m moving on the DCX2496 is working fine as it is, its just not communicating between (pc and DCX).

Yeah I'm looking at the link, cheers

It could it not be the upload is faulty? I loaded it a year or more or so ago.

Would fully removing the program and (uploading it again make a difference)?

No no - it has nothing to do with the connector GENDER, male or Female connectors, it has everything to do with the Transmit and Receive (TX and Rx) lines in the connectors ... its all about the throughput! You can have a male or a female DB9 connector at each end - but the pairs must be crossed if the Behringer wants a null modem cable.

You can have a cable that connects up FINE, but the signal can't get through if it doesn't have the TX and Rx flipped as it does in a Null Modem config ...
    TX on the one device MUST go to the RCV pin on the other

If the computer's TX line is connected to the TX line on the Behringer - they can't talk, so
    no data communications between PC and DCX, NADA, Kaput!

This is a real deal - if you need a NULL Modem cable as the other folks keep saying, a regular serial cable won't work. Period, end of sentence ...

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    No not wrong cable (male and female) on each end of the cables otherwise I wouldn’t be able to connect the two ends up.

It’s puzzling. I should have had this up and running days ago.

Anyway I’m moving on the DCX2496 is working fine as it is, its just not communicating between (pc and DCX).

Yeah I'm looking at the link, cheers

It could it not be the upload is faulty? I loaded it a year or more or so ago.

Would fully removing the program and (uploading it again make a difference)?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    No no - it has nothing to do with the connector GENDER, male or Female connectors, it has everything to do with the Transmit and Receive (TX and Rx) lines in the connectors ... its all about the throughput! You can have a male or a female DB9 connector at each end - but the pairs must be crossed if the Behringer wants a null modem cable.

You can have a cable that connects up FINE, but the signal can't get through if it doesn't have the TX and Rx flipped as it does in a Null Modem config ...
    TX on the one device MUST go to the RCV pin on the other

If the computer's TX line is connected to the TX line on the Behringer - they can't talk, so
    no data communications between PC and DCX, NADA, Kaput!

This is a real deal - if you need a NULL Modem cable as the other folks keep saying, a regular serial cable won't work. Period, end of sentence ...
    Let me see if I have this straight now.

There are two types of leads?

I trust that is the wrong question.

Okay which side on the pc would be the (TX) transmit?

Edit:
    Okay I’ve double checked with the box, thank goodness I didn’t toss it away in the dustbin!

Yes it says Serial on the box.

Wow lucky I brought an all-day bus ticket. Okay I’m heading out down to Maplin and get this changed over to (RS-232 crossed lead).

I might be able to get this resolved after-all.

Cheers Heather

JBL 4645
    Would you believe this town doesn’t do RS-232 lead that is crossed over!

I got a refund then went to D.J. Electronics and they didn’t have crossover lead, much less an adapter that would make it doable.

So after small (chit chat) the owner got me thinking. Why not cross the leads wires over by cutting the lead in half.

All I need to do is find the pins that are colour coded with volt meter and attach the wires up with the (connector) and swap the wires over (2 to 3 and 3 to 2).

Lead same length only cost £3.00 pounds over a £10.00 lead sigh.

JBL 4645
    Well lead is cut-in-half now all I need to do is run the volt meter on it to find out which colour is pin (2 and 3)?

Sooty was lending a paw.

JBL 4645
    Brown is 2
    Red is 3

That was rather easy.

Okay I need to connect the rest of the leads up including the ground lead and the (swap wires 2 and 3 around).

That is (Brown 2 to red 3).

pins 2/3 crossed (TX/RX)...

Note that you -might- get away with just connecting the wires to both pin 5's
    (straight through) as signal ground then stopping, as the remaining lines are often not used.

But you might as well do the full null-modem arrangement while you have the soldering
    iron out.

Hope this solves your issue, selecting a comm port in the program works, and Bouska
    was right about requiring a null-modem connection.

JBL 4645
    Nope its not working or I have missed a step.

So who has one presently up and running on the pc that can do step by step with photos and print screen computer guide.

Who ever put the owners manual together needs to be shot!

JBL 4645
    DCX2496 Synchronizing

Now is the Synchronize suppose to be idle on the page I mean I can’t click on it.
    Same goes with Software update service and Stay Synchronize.

The search DCX2496 doesn’t do anything?

Should there be information in the filed boxes

Version
    Name
    Device ID

Communication Port nothing?

So anyone that is currently running the DCX2496 with the pc any useful step by step guides to get this functioning would be appreciated.

Off the Top of My Head .

Communication Port nothing?
    Step One : Should be to select ( from a drop-down menu ) the communication port that you have your RS-232 "null" cable hooked up to ( on the way to the DCX2496 ) .

Step Two : Would be to click the "Search DCX2496's " button .

- If you have built your cable correctly and/or if you are using the proper 232 cable ( I'll assume the "null" type is correct ) / then the software query will find the DCX2496 and return with the relevant "hand-shaking" information ( assuming you've set up the communication port correctly ) .

- If this "Search DCX2496" query is successful, then the returning info-results will be automatically displayed in ( filled into ) the 2 text windows called "Recognized Devices" & "Device Information" .

- Having No" information displayed in these boxes means your "Search DCX2496's " query is failing ( either because of a cable issue and/or you don't have the "Communication Port" properly setup to talk to the now "232" cabled DCX22496 . Additionally, you may need to go into the DCXs Utility menu to enable/activate/allow some form of remote control / via the RS-232 ( look for "Enable Serial Control" or something logically similar ) .

Step Three : Once you see "device" info displayed ( in "Recognized Devices" & "Device Information" box ) then & only then can you start a synchronizing routine ( one direction or the other ) .
    - The "Synchronize" button is disabled ( grayed-out ) until you've actually succcessfully accomplished Steps 1 & 2 .

<> cheers

Ashley, both Earl and I are trying to get you to do the same thing...

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    I think you missed the most important drop down - the one that asks: Communications port?

You have to tell the software how the PC is communicating to the DCX.

Then, hit Search and it will try and synch with the DCX.
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Step One : Should be to select ( from a drop-down menu ) the communication port that you have your RS-232 "null" cable hooked up to ( on the way to the DCX2496 ) .
    You must pull that drop-down menu and select the port being used on the PC.

Thread Information