Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Behringer DCX2496 digital x-over any good

JBL 4645

The idea of turning the levels up makes my skin crawl.

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Correct.

Uh, you are looking at it wrong - it does. You do this two ways:

1. With the Inputs gains. You can adjust each individually - if you match them by say -6dB, it is as if you "turned down all the outputs" by -6dB. According to the text, "The setting range is from -15 to +15 dB." I have attached the Block Diagram, p4 of the Manual - see RED arrow.

I routinely do this on my KT DN9848 (a real nice DSP...) - moving between different mains with differing sensitivities requires maintaining the right gain structure to the amps. I have presets modelled for each "stack" of choice.

2. You can also do it with each Outputs gains, too - see GREEN arrow.

That said, -15 dB on the Inputs gains ain't enough - I bypass the unit all-together.
    That’s a slight thing I’ve noticed I’ve barely turned the levels to a point where I can see the action of the individual levels dancing around. So I’m going to have to make a few changes this afternoon, bloody amateur I am. I’ve got one of my favourite films running for the test "DIE HARD" (1988) so I’ll use extreme caution in setting the levels with a slight considerable reduction of the amplifier levels for LCR LF and HF outputs.

Hope I don’t blow this stack to smithereens!

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    Hi.

I disagree with you there. With the prices in Norway this is actually cheap. The Shark DSP in the Behringer is also found in Accuphase wich costs about 70k NOK, and the AKM DAC's is used in APL players wich retails in the US for about $6.5k. The complete cost for the Behringer with mods is about 7k NOK.

If i where to buy the box i really wanted, the BSS Omnidrive Compact Pro, that would cost med almost 30k NOK

So the deal with the Behringer is that the DSP section is top notch, but the PSU, Clock and analouge circuit is crap.

-Tim
    please refer to the 4435 dig. EQ thread I tried to explain things. FYI the DSP section of the cheapo B is crapola as well (uses IIR filters only)

nothin top notch there , maybe if we are about to write 1998 thn OK . I also say It not worths the hassle. Rather wait for something new (HDMI hint, hint) , this market is expanding.

JBL 4645
    Must say I like the new layout that way it should be lot easier to find and post new threads around here now.

Happy New Year guys.

I must admit, I was tempted a week ago, you know back in what was once 2007, I changed the crossover point to 48db 510Hz, own on the LF for LCR, it’s only an experiment, what I noticed was different tone in the bass mid.

I think I need new JBL for the LCR fronts at some point because of the demands that I’m asking for is too great and there’s only so much a 6 ½ bass mid can do.

JBL 4645

Bizarre

Picking up or receiving a cacophony of radio signals though the DCX2496 on the left channel only!

Now this is even being cursed by the slight temporary set-up along one side of the room, and thou I have to wait until I get everything racked up, there is a bundle of cables behind the audio equipment. But none more, none less then before.

I never had this issue at the last home, so I’m guessing the signals are being received though the…

…(electrics mains) or it’s something to do with (audio cables) possibly the mains the way everything is connected?

Now I’ve undone one Alesis RA300 and the DCX2496 and taken one JBL control 1 to the other room and set it up, and tested it for radio interference.

Nothing coming though this time, I’m a little puzzled and was puzzled for an hour after turning the amplifier volume right up, with no DVD or CD audio playing.

Now I’ve had the volume up all the way around the other home, same situation, no audio playing, just listening, to the background noise.

I’m going to re-try this back in the room in moment, and try a single mains terminal, for each unit, to see if the problem still exists, there is also a signal main terminal, on the other side of room, that I will try.

Talk about electronic Gremlins, little buggers.

Oh, there's just one other thing

I almost forgot to mention, it one of those sodden BBC radio stations (BBC Solent) with some other radio station underneath. The level of the signal with the volume on the RA300 was max, the radio signal must have been some -30 or -50db below, but it was audible.

JBL 4645
    Further testing the other room this time, using channel 2, output instead of channel 1, and I’m picking of a BBC radio station. I hate the BBC, there SCUM!

WTF is going on here, now this has got to got to be first, the DCX2496 isn’t even a f&%king radio receiver, WTF is going on here? Now its ether dodgy (electrical mains) in this building or the scummy BBC radio is sending out one of there British propaganda scummy signals, I f&%king hate the BBC!

JBL 4645
    Here is a picture of the three items that I’m testing the bedroom, I’m really f^%king pissed off, the scummy BBC is the last thing I want to here or see I hate the BBC, there SCUM!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    the scummy BBC is the last thing I want to here or see I hate the BBC, there SCUM!

I would think if you are picking up BBC radio (is BBC AM or FM? - I'd guess AM) it would be getting into your system in the low level places - input cables and such. Ground all the equipment cases together. Make sure all your covers are on top bottoms and sides, that kind of thing.

Worst case - you can build a Faraday cage for your gear and shield it from the stray signals ... If your test tracks the problem down to your preamps and processors, my guess is that they are all that needs to be shielded - you shouldn't need to wrap the whole room in a cage, just your equipment rack.

Some info -
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

http://www.google.com/search?q=Faraday+cage
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post

I would think if you are picking up BBC radio (is BBC AM or FM? - I'd guess AM) it would be getting into your system in the low level places - input cables and such. Ground all the equipment cases together. Make sure all your covers are on top bottoms and sides, that kind of thing.

Worst case - you can build a Faraday cage for your gear and shield it from the stray signals ... If your test tracks the problem down to your preamps and processors, my guess is that they are all that needs to be shielded - you shouldn't need to wrap the whole room in a cage, just your equipment rack.

Some info -
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

http://www.google.com/search?q=Faraday+cage

Cheers for that Heather, I’ll going though each item step at a time, and see if this solves (the funny) because funny is what it is, this goes beyond ground-loops where I’ve managed to solve the problem before.

I was picking up “girls want to have fun” only a few moments ago, the level in the bedroom must have been some -90db down it was so faint, yet in the other room it was bit louder.

I wonder if it has something to do with (atmospherics in the upper ionosphere).

JBL 4645
    Hell of time for humour, no I don’t fancy one of those LOL

Tesla coil - Faraday cage 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiDjwyV7qCg

Ad my vote to checking the grounds as well as proper wiring of the xlr cables. Here in Ohio I can get the BBC on short wave, is that the same broadcast you are picking up there. Start bypassing pieces of equipment to help narrow it down.

Mike Caldwell

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caldwell View Post
    Ad my vote to checking the grounds as well as proper wiring of the xlr cables. Here in Ohio I can get the BBC on short wave, is that the same broadcast you are picking up there. Start bypassing pieces of equipment to help narrow it down.

Mike Caldwell
    Mike

No this wasn’t on the (short wave band) this was sodden (BBC Solent) which is along the south coast somewhere.

Tell you want the first opportunity, I get, I’m getting a professional 19” rack and then another and another, I’m sick of this crap.

Has to where and how this BBC, signal is sneaking though to the DCX2496 is mystery, and its giving me bellyache.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Mike

No this wasn’t on the (short wave band) this was sodden (BBC Solent) which is along the south coast somewhere.

Tell you want the first opportunity, I get, I’m getting a professional 19” rack and then another and another, I’m sick of this crap.

Has to where and how this BBC, signal is sneaking though to the DCX2496 is mystery, and its giving me bellyache.
    Ok, but for us statesiders, what Frequency and type of signal is it?

Where I used to live we had a BIG problem with a local all-news station WTOP-AM - a 50,000-Watt AM (Amplitude Modulation) station that used to be at 1500kc, the "medium-wave" band in the US ... You could pick that puppy up with dental fillings!

Wikipedia says
    Medium wave is 520 kHz–1,610 kHz. In the Americas (ITU region 2) 10 kHz spacing is used; elsewhere it is 9 kHz. ITU region 2 also authorizes the Extended AM broadcast band between 1610 kHz and 1710 kHz. Medium wave is by far the most heavily used band for commercial broadcasting. This is the "AM radio" that most people are familiar with.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Ferrite Beads

I've used ferrite cores successfully in the past. Currently, in my location, I don't need them. But if your grounding/shielding scheme turns out to be OK, give them a try, they can be effective into the AM broadcast band 500-1200 kc, (get the right ones.)
    I chose this link because it gives a decent explanation:
    http://www.bytemark.com/products/ferbead.htm
    Edit: For this application you'd need ferrite "cores" not "beads" as I improperly indicated.
    Last edited by Skywave-Rider; 02-14-2008 at 12:36 PM. Reason: correction

If you look at this page:
    http://www.palomar-engineers.com/Fer...ite_cores.html
    You'll see ferrite cores, and you'd need cores of "77" material to be effective in the medium wave broadcast band. Since they are a core, you'll have to wrap about 3 turns of your signal wire (interconnect) through it to be effective. You'll probably need the larger diameter doughnut, to make it physically work. (More wraps = higher impedance to the RF (radio frequency) interference. I think I bought ferrite cores from Palomar Engineering in the past.

Hello
    It's been some time since I warmed up the tubes in my old short wave receiver I have but I remember the BBC somewhere around 6000 khz.

Mike Caldwell

Thread Information