Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Behringer DCX2496 digital x-over any good

Do you have a link to the supplier of the mods? I have not been lucky with a Google search.

I'm curious if anyone has performed these mods, and what the general feeling is on them.....

I personally only use the device below 120hz or less, so I doubt any real gain will be had for my application.

Thanks!
    Frederick

Quote Originally Posted by UreiCollector View Post
    Do you have a link to the supplier of the mods? I have not been lucky with a Google search.

I'm curious if anyone has performed these mods, and what the general feeling is on them.....

I personally only use the device below 120hz or less, so I doubt any real gain will be had for my application.

Thanks!

Look at the 1st post on the 2nd page.

Best regards Tim

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    Got my DCX2496 today and hooked it up with analouge source.

Sounds ok considering the crappy source i use atm. EQ is doing what i want. So far so good.

Now i just have to save up som money to buy the modification kit. Gonna get them all. I//O board, PSU and clock.

Best regards Tim
    Tim

High numbers on the perchance, of the (DCX2496) look forward to seeing some pictures of the modification.

I have now adjusted my bass response to what i percieve as flat. Not measured. Sounds very good. Fast, dry response with lots of detail.

Conclusion so far: As long as you are just using it for bass adjustment, modification isn't a must. For fullrange use you HAVE to do it. Mids/Highs are not good.

-Tim

Hello
    Just a thought to ponder. Is it worth the expense and time to modify a behringer unit or just go and get a better DSP in the first place?
    Having said that I have no idea what your paying for the DCX2496 units or what the mod kits consist of and sell for. I have nothing against mods and tweaks to equipment, I've done it for years but sometimes you have to step back and think is it really worth it or is the piece I'm modifying worth it. But everything is a learning experience, I have been known to take perfectly good new equipment apart to see how well it's built. Case in point a new mixing board I got about 8 months ago! So I guess who am I to talk.

Mike Caldwell

WTF? Where is the ratio of time/money/effort on audio vs. video at in your scenario?? You're enjoying your movie sound while watching THAT? Or am I missing something?
    Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    These pictures where taken a few nights back while I was modifying each of the three JBL Control 5 monitors.

Here I have installed two extra cables into screw socket holes that hold the passive crossover. With the passive crossover HF disconnected and with the new cables connected power the HF tweeter via an electronic frequency dividing network system.
    The crossover is set for Linkwitz-Riley 24db LF 50Hz to 1KHz – HF 24db 1KHz to 16.1 KHz 80Hz +7.0db Q 1.0 for the LF LCR channels.

A closer view of my little JBL Control 5 and for the first time they sound a lot better this way without the harshness of brittle sound thou they have been quite beneficial for the past 16 years, but now its time for active crossover active is the way to go its cleaner and its got far more potential.

Catwomen was the first film to be tested with the Behringer DCX2496 loudspeaker management system. I was astonished at how the hash sound disappeared into the JBL Control 5 thus leaving it with cleaner more dynamic lower and higher range, meow.

May be some people would be interested by those mods

I did not try myself even If I got one dcx2496 .

http://www.selectronic.fr/dcx2496_fr.asp

Gerard

Hello
    Thanks for the link to the Behringer mods.
    I looked them over and did a Babel Fish French to English translation. It looks like the mod parts alone would cost 266 Euro or $375 US dollars!!!! To buy an already modified unit would be 975 euro or $1374 US dollars!!!!!! There is no way modifying any Behringer unit is worth that kind of money not to mention the time.

Mike Caldwell

Hi.

I disagree with you there. With the prices in Norway this is actually cheap. The Shark DSP in the Behringer is also found in Accuphase wich costs about 70k NOK, and the AKM DAC's is used in APL players wich retails in the US for about $6.5k. The complete cost for the Behringer with mods is about 7k NOK.

If i where to buy the box i really wanted, the BSS Omnidrive Compact Pro, that would cost med almost 30k NOK

So the deal with the Behringer is that the DSP section is top notch, but the PSU, Clock and analouge circuit is crap.

-Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caldwell View Post
    Hello
    Thanks for the link to the Behringer mods.
    I looked them over and did a Babel Fish French to English translation. It looks like the mod parts alone would cost 266 Euro or $375 US dollars!!!! To buy an already modified unit would be 975 euro or $1374 US dollars!!!!!! There is no way modifying any Behringer unit is worth that kind of money not to mention the time.

Mike Caldwell

If anyone have some problems with babel french translation , I can help .

regards

Gerard

A new interesting link unless it already exists

Again a french one !

http://www.dcx2496.fr/en/index_en.php

Gerard

JBL 4645
    Well I’ve just soldered a dry joint on other equalizer, and thou it is a rather nasty piece from “Tandy” it just needed a little housekeeping to it afloat, until I can afford several DEQ2496 units to take over.

Apart from what timc has been talking about, I welcome any modifications if it offers a marginal improvement. So if you can, provided clearer and better pictures step by step on what circuit board track to cut, if any? And where to apply the new components I would be very happy to buy a modification kit and do it myself.

Oh as long as the modification kit is affordable and under £100.00 pounds UK!

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebake View Post
    WTF? Where is the ratio of time/money/effort on audio vs. video at in your scenario?? You're enjoying your movie sound while watching THAT? Or am I missing something?

I like hearing complexities of detail moving from side to side centre to left and right and most of all I like Catwoman. Meow.

Quote Originally Posted by gerard View Post
    A new interesting link unless it already exists
    Again a french one !
    http://www.dcx2496.fr/en/index_en.php
    Gerard
    Here's the English version. I've been tempted to purchase one of these little gizmos myself just to see what all the fuss is about. I'll have to wait until the new house is built but then it should be fun to dink with it and the JBL 4670 theater system I picked up in June. My biggest concern is that I'd end up just tweeking all the parameters and not really enjoy the music.

As for the mods, I spent some time looking at them but, frankly, I'd really _want_ to have a problem to fix with them. At the moment, the Euro and $$ aren't really speaking to each other, which lowers my interest.

Cheers,

David

JBL 4645
    Well where’s the step by step visual guide and interpretation to this all I see is a load of circuit boards and so where’s the step by step guide to all this.

Thread Information