Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Behringer DCX2496 digital x-over any good

Mr. 4645,

I genuinely appreciate your eventual response to RobH, who spoke up more tactfully
    than I. No smiley attached. -grumpy

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    I did create the post for a separate discussion and it was moved here by one of the moderates so please be cool you might lean a few things or two ...
    Yea, that was me.

I thought it important to compile all your observations and uses of the DCX2496 together, here. It is becoming quite a compendium, and easy for interested parties to walk through.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Mr. 4645,

I genuinely appreciate your eventual response to RobH, who spoke up more tactfully
    than I. No smiley attached. -grumpy
    Well then allow me please to inset a happy face.

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Yea, that was me.

I thought it important to compile all your observations and uses of the DCX2496 together, here. It is becoming quite a compendium, and easy for interested parties to walk through.
    Bravo I salute sir. Thanks it dose make it worthy to see what can be done with DCX2496 within its technical tolerances.

JBL 4645
    I’m tempted to switch over to the active crossover mode tonight with a rather temporary hook up. I’ve stripped three RCA cable leads down with the one end chopped off and soldered to the pins for HF outputs this will be changed by tomorrow, I’ll pop up to D.J. Electronics to buy three XLR female outs and a three RCA phone plugs and some lengthy cable.

Now thou I havent got the third Alesis RA300 as of yet I can use three channels from the Marantz 1050 for the HF and use the other channel for centre back and I’ll hath to disconnect the height surround temporarily until I get a third Alesis RA300 to run the three-screen. So looks like a little re-plugging tonight.

I’ll be back in a jiffy with an update happy listening.

JBL 4645
    I like it now that all three screen channels are in (active cross over mode) it’s a problematic issue to loose most of the EQ filter bands due to the X over function but after listening to some of my favourite films late of last night and this even with some extracts from, The Bourne Identity films with clearer wider frequency response on the ole JBL Control 5.

The harsh brittle sound in the mid bass has been greatly reduced with warmer sounding tones HF is free from that cross talk which resulted in shrillness that was too much too bare.

The cross over is set for Linkwitz-Riley 24db LF 50Hz to 1KHz – HF 24db 1KHz to 16.1 KHz 80Hz +7.0db Q 1.0 for the LF LCR channels.

Audio limiter
    -16.6db LF LCR
    -20.0db HF LCR

The dynamic EQ needs a little more experimentation at the time being but it does sound way better than before only wished I had larger JBL monitors matching LCR for the fronts but I’m pleased never the less very pleased.

I noted how clear STAR TREK the motion picture sounded when Sulu was pressed a button right channel just before Enterprise departed wow now that’s how I remember it in the Empire Leicester square back in 1989.

Going back to the Jason Bourne adventures with the wild car chase in “The Bourne Supremacy” toward the end was cracking tire screeching and metical hits glass and gunshots shined surprisingly over the three-screen.

JBL 4645
    These pictures where taken a few nights back while I was modifying each of the three JBL Control 5 monitors.

Here I have installed two extra cables into screw socket holes that hold the passive crossover. With the passive crossover HF disconnected and with the new cables connected power the HF tweeter via an electronic frequency dividing network system.
    The crossover is set for Linkwitz-Riley 24db LF 50Hz to 1KHz – HF 24db 1KHz to 16.1 KHz 80Hz +7.0db Q 1.0 for the LF LCR channels.

A closer view of my little JBL Control 5 and for the first time they sound a lot better this way without the harshness of brittle sound thou they have been quite beneficial for the past 16 years, but now its time for active crossover active is the way to go its cleaner and its got far more potential.

Catwomen was the first film to be tested with the Behringer DCX2496 loudspeaker management system. I was astonished at how the hash sound disappeared into the JBL Control 5 thus leaving it with cleaner more dynamic lower and higher range, meow.

JBL 4645
    The delay setting fools the ear very effectively and works very on the DCX2496 so far with films like HEAT chapter 16 “Dead Man Talking” when “Roger Van Zant” gets phone call the tone is heard from the centre channel as well as the left channel.

Here the tone can be heard from the left channel just as it was in the cinema from the conventional optical Dolby stereo soundtrack. The Dolby digital track presents a lot more and few hidden Easter eggs sound surprises that I doubt you’ve even heard before on this rather complex Dolby film mix.

JBL 4645
    With a slight curiosity I decided to take an exclusive inside peek at the Berhinger DCX2496 loudspeaker management system to much of my surprise there was very little but it surly does a lot for which I couldn’t have managed without.

Its all software today and cleaver it is cleaver that its light weight and affordable to mass produce, so there it is an inside look for some of the users here that own the DCX2496.

JBL 4645
    I’ve taken a few extra steps tonight via placing (three) JBL Control 1 on top of each JBL Control 5 and readjusted the crossover settings. LF is now presently set to 50Hz to 260Hz Butterworth -18db.

The HF is set to 277Hz to 20KHz Butterworth -18db. Thou this only an experiment with the crossover filter, I still like to explore for overall smoothness from the Control 5 down to the sub bass extension so far it’s performed well with STAR TREK II. Bass over the three-screen was placed more in the box and help to tighten up the Enterprise slowly moving down right front as it draws closer to Reliant.

The sub bass extension does need a DCX2496 as soon as can get around to it. But for now it sounds okay.

Note the HF on the JBL Control 5 has been disconnected.

JBL 4645
    UreiCollector

How do you activate the (input gain) control’s that is described on page 17 of the DCX2496 user’s manual? I’ve tried a few times without any success and since you’ve got a DCX2496 maybe you could shed a little light on how to activate it, thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

input gain control for sum

press the 'sum' button on the front of the unit. it is the first page of options.
    Frederick

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by UreiCollector View Post
    press the 'sum' button on the front of the unit. it is the first page of options.
    Urei

Okay the thread is here and I’ve noted that one press the (sum) I’ll turn the sound system on in a few hours and exercise that part. Thanks mate.

Hello.

Just ordered a DCX. I will post my experience with it once I've tried it out.

Best regards Tim

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    Hello.

Just ordered a DCX. I will post my experience with it once I've tried it out.

Best regards Tim
    Tim

Hello we where just speaking via MSN! Yeah post you’re personal description on the DCX2496 when you obtain one. They can be brought for low prices if you look around in you’re region of Norway, just use the word (Behringer DCX2496) in "Google" under (Product) and look for the best low prices available.

Got my DCX2496 today and hooked it up with analouge source.

Sounds ok considering the crappy source i use atm. EQ is doing what i want. So far so good.

Now i just have to save up som money to buy the modification kit. Gonna get them all. I//O board, PSU and clock.

Best regards Tim

Thread Information