Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Behringer DCX2496 digital x-over any good

JBL 4645
    So dos JBL-Urei, do there own loudspeaker management system?

And if so at what cost, you see I’m not made of money.

BSS FDS-366 on ebay, with a "by it now" price of 1300€ :

http://cgi.ebay.fr/BSS-FDS-366-omnid...QQcmdZViewItem

How much is 1300 euros in american dollars?

I have a 366t, Ill let it go for $1900 + shipping!
    scottyj

JBL 4645
    That model looks nice but its out of my price range that would take nearly a years saving just to buy one, so lucky for the Behringer. I’ve more or less started saving this week so all I need is another two weeks at the most before I have the funds to buy the first one.

I know JBL has produced active crossovers, but as far as a JBL/Urei bass management system......they never produced anything that I am aware.

The biggest cost hurdle isn't in the cost of the DCX2496, but in the cost of additional amplifiers. As is always the "downside" to active crossovers....COST.
    Frederick

Quote Originally Posted by UreiCollector View Post
    The biggest cost hurdle isn't in the cost of the DCX2496, but in the cost of additional amplifiers. As is always the "downside" to active crossovers....COST.
    Yea, there is that, for certain. But as you know, once you cross that "threshold" the improvement on control is compelling. There is also a tangible increase in efficiency - my mains gain +10dB in sensitivity, active vs passive mode. That saves a lot of amp power...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

JBL 4645
    I’ve doing some thinking about the loudspeaker management system, can this unit operate in three ways, that is the dynamics on the soundtrack from the softest sound to medium and loudest with different threshold settings to look at the front mix and say arr, that’s playing softly and there’s quite a good deal of complex sounds happing on the left and right.

For example 2010 the year we make contact, where Floyd is talking to a government person on the outside of the white house, the scene is complex that dialogue level and partly the sound effects in the centre channel drown out the left and right when set-up with basic 75dbc for each of the three channels, it needs something special to make more sense of the Dolby film mix.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    I’ve doing some thinking about the loudspeaker management system, can this unit operate in three ways, that is the dynamics on the soundtrack from the softest sound to medium and loudest with different threshold settings ....
    You are describing the function of a compressor.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

JBL 4645
    Yes I guess so.

Drawmer 1968

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    You are describing the function of a compressor.
    If that is your wish, the DCX2496 is not "specialized" in that function. It does have a Limiter function, which is more of a "hard-knee" algorithm, which will not provide the more subtle gain support you describe.

If you are truly after a subtle, warm, soft-knee support of gain, I can only suggest the Drawmer 1968. This dood will blow you away.

The Drawmer 1968 is so subtle you question whether it's active in the signal path. Yet, switch to "bypass" and you'll know how wonderfully effective and transparent this tube compressor is. The 12AX7's on the output stage are genius.

I am a serious fan of this unit. Show after show, it blows me away in it's effectiveness and ease of use.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Ahhh.....Drawmer.
    I have the 1960 in my main insert rack and Like Bo says you know it's working but you can't really here it....if that makes sense.
    I also have their DL241, DL441 and DS404 units. If you want to save a little money and still get an excellent compressor take a look at the DL241. Not saying it sounds as transparent as a 1960 or 1968 but still very nice!

Mike Caldwell

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caldwell View Post
    Ahhh.....Drawmer.
    I have the 1960 in my main insert rack and Like Bo says you know it's working but you can't really hear it....if that makes sense.
    I also have their DL241, DL441 and DS404 units. If you want to save a little money and still get an excellent compressor take a look at the DL241. Not saying it sounds as transparent as a 1960 or 1968 but still very nice!
    Yea, Mike...

My 1968's live across the Mix inserts in both my racks - it is such a great sound, and tool. I too use DL241's in individual instrument inserts or across the instrument Group buss - they are wonderful in those applications. I would love to have nothing but 1968's, but the 241's are plenty fine. Drawmer makes some really, really great gear.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    For me, DSP has gotten better, but still has quite a ways to go before Im convinced they got it totally right.
    Scott

I told you you peaked my curiosity. I hooked up the HRX after a year of running the dual Deqx system. I'll be damned.

Enough said.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky View Post
    I hooked up the HRX after a year of running the dual Deqx system. I'll be damned.

Enough said.
    Not so fast, cowboy...

That is sort of ambiguous - what did you hear...?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Not so fast, cowboy...

That is sort of ambiguous - what did you hear...?
    Look who's lurking on this thread

To be honest, I like them both. What surprised however, was how great the HRX sounded.

After a couple of hours listening to several of my favorite CD's I have to admit the high end sounds slightly more natural. I really noticed it on cymbals and in the harmonics on an acoustic guitar.

However, the sound stage using the fir filters on Deqx is more focused and perhaps just slightly more dimensional. He is right however, it does sound slightly metallic. I was quite surprised. You have a great ear Scott. If I had not switched back and forth several times I doubt that I could have picked it up.

Makes me wonder if I should just stop trying to find "IT"

Nice to hear from you Bo.

PS: The house sold.........don't ask.

Ken

Thread Information