Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Behringer DCX2496 digital x-over any good

Behringer DCX2496 digital x-over any good

Hello folks!

Sitting here and planning to change some of my audio gear to more flexible parts, if its a benefit, I dont know.

What I plan to do is to get rid of my Ashly 4-way stereo XR4001 analog x-over and then buy two new Behringer DCX2496 digital x-overs, but I dont know how they sound. Anybody here who have a longer of time experience to this digital x-over? To me it looks to be a little bit complicated to all this programmings one must do before one is able to use it. But the possibilities looks to be infinitive and if buying two of those it will cover my needs that the older XR4001 couldnt do, a 5-way stereo soundstage.
    So, is there someone who can post some comments, positives and negatives no matter what, then I should be grateful.

Thanks in Advance

Regards
    Flodstroem

Freerider made some investigations found here:
    http://freerider.dyndns.org/

Of special interest:

Evaluation of the DCX2496
    Improved digital input stage for the Behringer DCX2496
    Expanded Soundstaging and 3D-Imaging

Freerider adds (in German) that Black-Gate-Capacitors at the output will improve clearance of soundstage. When tolerating a slight DC offset at the output these capacitors can be replaced with wire with same sonical advantages.

I do have a digital xover, but not in my "audiophile" (loosely used...) home set-up - I use it in my SR gear.

I use a Klark Teknik DN9848 - 4 in, 8 out - which will enable 4-way stereo (but not 5). It is a really great unit - relatively easy to program. Each out has 6 PEQ's and time-delays, etc. Each of the 4 inputs has 12 PEQ's and time-delay, etc. Very powerful for ever-changing SR situations.

xta has a couple of great units - the DP224 and DP226 - but these are "only" 2-by-4 and 2-by-6 respectively.

I would not even try a Behringer digital, but that is my bias. Digital, done right can sound good - done cheaply, it's wrong.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    I would not even try a Behringer digital, but that is my bias. Digital, done right can sound good - done cheaply, it's wrong.
    I understand Bo's hard line on Behringer. This company spends more time in court fighting patent infringement than practicing there own R&D.

That being said, I have a couple of friends that have had great success with the 2496. I have been seriously tempted to buy one to modify. With a couple of hundred bucks and soldering time, they can perform quite well.

An affordable alternative to the Deqx units? At 300 bucks a unit you get a powerfull processing tool.

Just for the record. I support the personal decision not to support companies that steal other's patent's. Microsoft has been doing it for 20 years.

Ken

Hello
    If you want to try a DSP that sounds very good, has real human tech support...if you need it, very versatile programing options, front panel or easy PC & MAC software programing and is VERY economically priced.
    The Peavey VSX26...yes I said Peavey! With some shopping around $350 or less. Way out performs what the price suggest.
    You would need of them to do your 5 way stereo set up. For that matter you will need two of almost any DSP to do 5 way stereo. 4 in 8 out is the standard large configuation for most DSP's. Any DSP that does 10 outputs would not be a starter unit just to see what their about.

Mike Caldwell

JBL 4645

Smile Behringer Ultradrive Pro DCX2496 Speaker Management System

This looks promising the Behringer Ultradrive Pro DCX2496 Ultra High-Precision Speaker Management System and like the (dbx 4800 that’s been installed at the Empire Leicester square as part of its THX installation), the Behringer Ultradrive Pro DCX2496 is priced normally around RRP £327.83 but at mad price of £168.99 at Turnkey yeah that positively on the list for the summertime.

dbx 4800
    http://www.dbxpro.com/4800/4800.htm

Behringer has something along the same lines yet the cost is has high as $3K! No, this one can be picked up for $249.99 or £168.99 at Turnkey site over here in the UK.

Turnkey / Behringer Ultradrive Pro DCX2496 Ultra High-Precision Speaker Management System
    http://www.turnkey.co.uk/web/produc...496&context=WEB

Parts-Express / Behringer Ultradrive Pro DCX2496 Ultra High-Precision Speaker Management System
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psh...tnumber=248-669

So I have plans to save up and buy a few yes a few is needed to address the audio and at the price these are going for well that’s a huge saving

Behringer Ultradrive Pro DCX2496
    http://www.behringerdownload.de/DCX...SPECS_Rev_C.pdf

The ULTRADRIVE PRO DCX2496 is the ultimate digital loudspeaker management system with an unheard-of audio quality and feature list. It is an indispensable tool for the precise set-up of multiple loudspeaker systems or arrays. Installation contractors, live-sound engineers, cinemas / discotheques / concert hall operators will quickly learn to love this model's rich features. Signals can be split in various ways to assure precise sound by using the optimal frequency range of each loudspeaker.

Start with its 3 analog inputs (one suitable as a digital stereo AES / EBU input) and 6 analog outputs. You get maximum flexibility in just one rack space. Superb high-end AKM 24-bit / 96 kHz A/D and D/A converters give you ultimate signal integrity and an extreme dynamic range of 113 dB. Easy connection of external digital signals with sampling rates from 32 to 96 kHz is a breeze with the integrated sample rate converter. There are precise dynamic EQs for level-dependent equalization and extremely musical parametric EQs, selectable for all inputs and outputs, and "Zero"-attack limiters on all output channels guarantee optimal signal and loudspeaker protection.

You also get four different mono and stereo output operating modes, all with individual crossover filter types (Butterworth, Bessel and Linkwitz-Riley) with selectable roll-off characteristics from 6 to 48 dB/octave. The delays for all inputs and outputs are adjustable. This allows you to manually or automatically correct for room temperature, phase and arrival time differences. An additional sum signal is easily derived from the A/B/C inputs.

Now that remote control is such a hot topic, you'll be glad that the future-proof ULTRADRIVE PRO software enables single or multi remote control via PC through RS-232 and RS-485 interfaces. And the link option via RS-485 network interface enables cascading of several ULTRADRIVE PROs. A Windows-based editing software is available for download free of charge. No matter what the future brings, its open architecture assures easy software updates. A PCMCIA slot allows you to store all your settings and recall them anytime you change the location-virtually taking your ULTRADRIVE PRO with you.

But don't be fooled by the ULTRADRIVE PRO's sleek design. Its high-power 32-bit SHARC-DSP and ultra-high resolution CRYSTAL/AKM A/D & D/A converter provide outstanding audio performance-and the servo-balanced, gold-plated XLR connectors for all inputs and outputs guarantee excellent connectivity for the years to come.

Features:

3 analog inputs (one suitable as digital stereo AES/EBU input) and 6 analog outputs for maximum flexibility
    High-end AKM 24-bit/96 kHz A/D and D/A converters for ultimate signal integrity and wide dynamic range (113 dB)
    Integrated sample rate converter for easy connection of external digital signals with sampling rates from 32 to 96 kHz
    Precise dynamic EQs for level-dependent equalization and extremely musical parametric EQs, selectable for all inputs and outputs

Several types of EQs (LP/BP/HP) for each input and output
    "Zero"-attack limiters on all output channels for optimal speaker protection
    Four different mono and stereo output operating modes

Individual crossover filter types (Butterworth, Bessel and Linkwitz-Riley) with selectable roll-off characteristics from 6 to 48 dB/octave

Adjustable delays for all inputs and outputs-allow manual or automatic correction for room temperature, phase and arrival time differences

Additional sum signal derived from the A/B/C inputs offers a fourth internal input signal
    Future-proof ULTRADRIVE PRO software enables single or multi remote control via PC through RS-232 and RS-485 interfaces (www.behringer.com)

Link option via RS-485 network interface enables cascading of several ULTRADRIVE PROs
    60 user-defined internal presets storable via PC software or on PCMCIA card
    Open architecture assures easy software updates

Ultra low-noise 4580 operational amplifiers for outstanding audio performance
    Servo-balanced, gold-plated XLR connectors for all inputs and outputs

High-quality components and exceptionally rugged construction for long life and durability
    Internal switch-mode power supply for maximum flexibility (100 - 240 V~), noise-free audio, superior transient response plus lowest possible power consumption

Thumbs up Ultradrive DCX2496

I am using the Behringer Ultradrive DCX2496 in my system, and absolutely love it!! The box is very flexible and works flawlessly!!! My father also uses 2 in his system as well, with good results.

I'm using it below ~80hz on my JBL2242H's, currently utilizing 6 parametric equalization points per channel (but it will do many more), limiting, dynamic eq (adding a little gain as the volume is decreased), and high pass filtering at 20hz.

For the price, you can't beat it, and I have no issues with performance.

Behringer does offer free sofware to program this unit with your PC/laptop, and that makes it super easy to use. Also if any of you have Bodzio's Sound Easy, new versions will also interface with the DCX2496.

It does invert from input to output, so be careful!!
    Frederick

JBL 4645
    UreiCollector

Why thanks mate that is the type of response I’m looking for first hand hands on experience!

Well I plan to use at least five for the JBL control 5 and the JBL control 1 arrays not to mention the sub bass extension and LFE.1 as well.

Like you said the price is unbeatable I’m not made of money and when I saw the dbx 4800 some time last year I was kinder disappointed that the price was £3k and that’s for each unit!

Well I’d say £168.99 UK is more realistically down to earth or when I get my hands on my first one sometime around early April I’ll be able to find out for myself.

Thank you all for your valuable inputs. Ok, it could seem to it is worth the money. But, Hoerninger, I read all of what you have posted here and what you are trying to telling me is that I had to upgrade for a better jitter performance (filtering), do I understand it right?
    Otherwise I liked the comments on the performance of this x-over.

Ken, what modifying are you talking about? Is it the same as Hoerninger was pointing at, if yes then I know what it is, if not, is it possible for you to make a comment on that a little bit more specific (maybe a link)?

Wander if Behringer has done this upgrading after the suggestions you has pointed to (article was from 2005 I think). If not, is it possible to buy finished PCB´s somewhere for this upgrading? If not, where to find only the boards? and for two x-overs to.

Regards
    Flodstroem

Quote Originally Posted by Flodstroem View Post
    But, Hoerninger, I read all of what you have posted here and what you are trying to telling me is that I had to upgrade for a better jitter performance (filtering), do I understand it right?
    ... Wander if Behringer has done this upgrading after the suggestions you has pointed to (article was from 2005 I think).
    ... where to find only the boards?
    Flodstoem,

there is no more to me than giving you the link. I have no experience with this piece of gear, although I once looked carefully at it when thinking about a certain horn system.

When there are DIY upgrade possibilities it must be considered whether there is time and skill to do so. It might be easier to spend more money into another part which performes better. (So it has been a sort of critic).

In this forum there is another thread right now, where someone is quite satisfied with the DCX2496.

I doubt Behringer has changed anything significantly, it is still selling.

Freerider has given a link to http://www.gsel.com/ where you can order 2 PCBs for aprx. 80 EUR (down side).

JBL 4645
    I see that there’s a second thread going on this. Well I’m not going to be put off by any of the comments in this thread not after some of the audio masking issues I’ve had to listen to for many years.

So is the unit all pc software uploading and does it come with a CD-Rom to deal with the multitudes of audio problems fast and painless as can possible be?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky View Post
    Just for the record. I support the personal decision not to support companies that steal other's patent's. Microsoft has been doing it for 20 years.

Ken
    Yeah and his still the richest tight a££ on the planet! £20biliion! or is £200billion?

Quote Originally Posted by Flodstroem View Post
    Ken, what modifying are you talking about? Is it the same as Hoerninger was pointing at, if yes then I know what it is, if not, is it possible for you to make a comment on that a little bit more specific (maybe a link)?
    Regards
    Go here and join this Yahoo Group. You will find many links to websites that instruct you how to mod the 2496 from simple to complex mods.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/DCX2496/

Like I said, at 300 bucks I have been damned tempted to play around modding one.

Keep us posted on your quest. I do highly recommend the Deqx....no mods required .

Ken

I'm sure you'll be happy with it, but as I said, I only use it below ~80hz, so I can not comment on it's sound quality above say 120hz or so. But for what I'm using it for, it is amazing! I see no reason to not use it for sub-woofer applications. Perhaps someone else has experience using this box "full range".
    Frederick

Funny this gets mentioned now....

as I've been considering getting one just dink (technical term?) around with. Actually, what I'd like to do is to use it with the UREI 813s by bypassing the existing crossover and then implementing it with the DCX.

I suppose, when I consider it, that I probably have too much time on my hands if I'd really decide to do that.

I've noticed quite a few 3rd party upgrades for this box, though. These from an outfit in France look interesting but cost almost as much as the unit does new: http://www.selectronic.fr/dcx2496_US.asp#03.

Still, its an interesting project.

Cheers,

David

My father wants to do the same with his 813's. In theory, this could be quite an upgrage in performance for the system....at the obvious cost of amplifier $$$.

One thing does trouble me however....the 24/96 sampling. Granted, most recordings I listen to are 16/44, but for my super audio recordings, the 24/96 of the DCX is a nail in the coffin.

I'm also 100% sure that the engineers at Urei are smarter than I am.....but if DSP technology was as readily available at the time, I'm sure they would have used it.

Worth trying? YES, I think definately so. Just from the stand point of time-alignment, the DCX should be much better. For $250, you can't go wrong, and you can always use the DCX for subwoofer applications where the sample rate isn't going to hurt the sound a bit (in my opinion).

It's never a waste of time to experiment, and I would love to hear your results.
    Frederick

Thread Information