Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TL260 or L890?

TL260 or L890?

TL260 is 5 way
    L890 4 way

A review of TL260 is found here:

http://www.areadvd.com/hardware/2007/jbl_tl260.shtml

In the review TL260 was found to be exceptional except driver timing (many drivers, difficult to engineer the timing)

With L890 a better timing would be expected but cabibet resonances may be a problem compared to TL260.

Hi.

I prefer the TL260 by far. There just something about 12"+ The 890 sound a bit congested in the lower regions when compared imo. On the other hand the TL260 needs a way bigger and better amplifier to really shine.

Best regard Tim

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    Hi.

I prefer the TL260 by far. There just something about 12"+ The 890 sound a bit congested in the lower regions when compared imo. On the other hand the TL260 needs a way bigger and better amplifier to really shine.

Best regard Tim
    Thanks, now I have the TL260s. (I paid 1290 euros).
    That was also my opinion based on what I heard when I listened to E80. I couldn't believe that a little larger double bass could be much better. I don't like too much upper bass and congested sound as often comes when too small woofers are used.
    The TL260s sound very natural! They are big but the bass doesn't make noticeable boom in my small apartment, it's so finely controlled even if I have only Rotel RA935BXMkII as amp. My girlfriend, though, even if fan of metal music, said that the sound was too aggressive. Yes, it is bright and and natural. Cymbals sound very aggressive live and even violin a little aggressive; so it is compromising between a natural and smoothened, soft sound when designing loudspeakers. A live concert sounds much more aggressive, she admitted. But they arrived just today; the salesperson said before they had arrived that they would sound good after one week of playing. But I find the sound wonderful even now! All kinds of music sounds detailed and natural. The faithful reproduction of the lowest tunes of instruments makes listening very nice, and treble is detailed, bass rhythmic, and I like the way human voice is reproduced. There is an overall ease in the reproduction of sound and it is not at all congested as the E80 and many other loudspeakers are. I like also that they can keep the rhythm and play the drums so well.
    With my small amp the sound is detailed and bright. But because of a deep bass response, they sound good even with a low volume.

I think I should upgrade my amp; in a french forum someone said that Rotel 1092 could be a perfect match. I have thought about the cheaper 06-series, integrated or with power amps bi-amped.

Wow, thats really something ... a new model like the classic 250s ...

Some of the other members who have bought new JBLs (or gotten new drivers) have said it takes a few days for them to "wear in", or hit their stride. By all means - keep us informed!

(I just wanted to capture the image locally, for the future!)
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Very interesting...

-Storm

The look of the TL260 just doesn't do it for me sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyoz View Post
    Likewise...and what is a caution sticker doing on a speaker?

-Storm.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Well, those drivers have a look that one member of the site called kabuki (probably mispelled) ... I know what he meant, its that high tech metal plastic on black look ... I prefer wood that looks like wood with grain, etc,
    but there is a big market for black-finish speakers, and these look no worse than many others.
    Frankly, with the grills on, they look ok.
    To me, the real issue would be the sound.

That's one thing I can't tell from a picture.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

If they only cost €1,300 (new?) you are certainly getting a lot of drivers for the money.

If they only cost €1,300 (new?) you are certainly getting a lot of drivers for the money.
    1290 eur/pair new, the normal price is 2590 eur/pair. They had the TL260 and E series with reduced prices. The sonical difference between E80 and TL260 is huge!

The TL260:s play so naturally! They don't produce booming bass and are bright & clear. Possibly I should uppgrade my amp; it's only 60 watts DIN.
    How much more bass do I get if I bi-amp or only upgrade for example to Rotel RA06? And what is the sonical difference?

Yes, RRP of €2600 sounds more like it.

Re. amps, if they are anything like my 250Ti's, the more the better. I run a Bryston 4B SST and have also tried a few other decent amps on them but I found a large difference in the bass. The "beefy" amps will tend to give you more extension and "punch". The amp/speaker interaction is VERY complicated so you have to try a few really.

Seriously though, a nice second hand Bryston 3B ST would be a good start.

Maron Horonzakz
    I question the two different tweeter waveguides, seems like a afterthought or covering up some anomally. Cheep cheep cheep looking. We have an old saying ,, If it dont go, chrome it.

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    I question the two different tweeter waveguides, seems like a afterthought or covering up some anomally. Cheep cheep cheep looking. We have an old saying ,, If it dont go, chrome it.
    You have appearently have never heard those speakers. I have had the L890s, and they have the same tweeter pairing, and they sound very good. And unless your hearing goes above 20Khtz, you'll never hear the sound from the upper tweeter anyway.

As far as how they look, as mentioned by others, if you only see pics on the computer, those pics will not do the TL260 justice, or any other speaker. The L890 is a perfect example, much better looking than any computer pic of it.

Maron Horonzakz
    You can hear the 20K??? my, my, since the fundamentles are below 5K And above that are the harmonics Im sure that 20K really makes you compete with your dog...Remember a 20K is less than one inch..If you shift your head you,l miss it. Not many people can pick out 20K.

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    You can hear the 20K??? my, my, since the fundamentles are below 5K And above that are the harmonics Im sure that 20K really makes you compete with your dog...Remember a 20K is less than one inch..If you shift your head you,l miss it. Not many people can pick out 20K.
    I didn't say I could hear above 20k, because I Can't; I said, "unless you can hear above 20k you won't hear the upper tweeter anyway."

Thread Information