Thread: Stewart Hegeman's handbuilt speakers - Omni-Directional

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Stewart Hegeman's handbuilt speakers - Omni-Directional

I have recently acquired a set of ('73-74) Hegeman Labs Model 1a Omni directional speakers. To my knowledge, these were some of, if not the first omni directional speakers to be developed.

A. Stewart Hegeman apparently is responsible for quite a few audio achievements. The Harmon Kardon Citation amp was designed by him, as well as The original Dynaco tuner, I believe.

Hegeman's original design utilized his own hand spun aluminum woofer cones/woofers. These first models contained a Philips AD 0160/T8 tweeter.

The idea is to perfectly recreate a room where a good, old fashioned stereo recording (only TWO microphones) had taken place. I must admit, even with my lowly receiver, and acoustically challenged room, on a quick dry run, they gave quite a remarkable soundstage. I have never heard a more accurate upright bass, nor have I been able to walk 360 degrees around the bassist as he plays near my china hutch. Johnny Cash never sounded better.

In '77 Hegeman, for a number of reasons, decided to hand his knowledge and speaker company down to Don Morrison. Some may know his E.L.A.D. preamp, or other products. The innitial design of my model 1's have since evolved under the new name, Morrison Audio.

Morrison still hand makes every speaker/amp and is completely a one man operation.

Here are a couple of pictures of the speakers.

Wondering if anyone has ever experienced any Morrison Audio or Hegeman speakers. Would love to hear your opinion.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thread Information