Thread: Resurrection of the L 222 Disco’s

Salty Al

Resurrection of the L 222 Disco’s

Hello All, I wanted to take this opportunity to share with all of you that the L 222 Disco’s that were parted out in Salt Lake City, UT live again. They got a new face lift with veneer and grill cloth. The drivers were re-foamed and brought back to life and function just as they should. The major change was using the 2405s in place of the 076. For those kind of prices the collectors can have the cat eyes! The 2405s do a real nice job. Using a spectrum analyzer it reveiled that the 2405s were a little bright so I had to tone down the 2405s a little bit but they tuned in nicely in my daughters listening room, giving a great flat line with only the equalization of the 222's xover. The grill cloth is the red brown that was used on the L 220. The brown cloth went better with the decor in my daughter's home. CHEERS, Salty Al
    Attached Images Attached Images      

WOW

Wonderful job. Happy to know they live again. Would love to see some full size pictures.

Chris

Salty Al

Resurrected L 222 Disco’s

All, Here are some larger photos. Sorry, I'm still learning the process of uploading top this site. CHEERS, Salty Al

Salty Al

Resurrected L 222 Disco’s

All, Additional photos. The site will only take 5 at a time. The logo's were not on when I took these pics. They're all polished up and in their proper place. CHEERS, Salty Al

Thumbs up Xlnt

Al, those look great! Take a bow for job well done.

The L222 Disco is not highly regarded by some (many?) of our members, but I think it's a great looking design with a satisfying sound. And it'll do what its name implies: Dicso all night long!

Very nice Al! Where did you get the veneer and cloth?

Salty Al

Veneer and Grille Cloth

The veneer was purchased from Oakwood Veneers. They are reasonable in price and shipping and have a large selection. They also have the 48" x 120" and 48" x 144" so you can match the corners on the larger cabinets as you wrap the veneer around them. They are on the web at www.oakwoodveneers.com One can enter and choose the type, size and get a quote on the web page. The grille cloth; I usually buy the original blue from Zilch. But in this case I had a piece of the L220 cloth and one of the local fabric stores had an end of bolt, that they had kept around for some time, that just happened to work out for me. I really lucked out on finding the cloth. These really aren't my listening pleasure. I have 4350s and 4435s. But the price was right and they worked well for my daughter home and their use. Cheers, Salty AL

Quote Originally Posted by Salty Al View Post
    The veneer was purchased from Oakwood Veneers. They are reasonable in price and shipping and have a large selection. They also have the 48" x 120" and 48" x 144" so you can match the corners on the larger cabinets as you wrap the veneer around them. They are on the web at www.oakwoodveneers.com One can enter and choose the type, size and get a quote on the web page. The grille cloth; I usually buy the original blue from Zilch. But in this case I had a piece of the L220 cloth and one of the local fabric stores had an end of bolt, that they had kept around for some time, that just happened to work out for me. I really lucked out on finding the cloth. These really aren't my listening pleasure. I have 4350s and 4435s. But the price was right and they worked well for my daughter home and their use. Cheers, Salty AL
    The link should be www.oakwoodveneer.com (singular), that gets you to the web site, the plural gets you to a search engine sort of disguised as a website.

Bart
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Salty Al

Correction of web site

mech986, Thank you for the correction to the link!! Salty AL

Thread Information