Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peter Gabriel - PLAY LIVE!!

I am jealous...

Glad you had a good time.

-Storm.

Thanks Andy. I'm sure those are the pics I took while you wussed away to get your rain wear.

Great spending time with you mate .

Rich

Just uploaded some videos to YouTube... Lay Your Hands on Me and No Self Control.

Sorry about the distorted sound on the bass peaks but my camera couldn't handle it (HUGE bass sound where we were standing!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlOtsGDRRBQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjQmntK0Fjs

Very cool.

-Storm.

Interesting pics.

There is almost no backline. The bass rig has two cabinets, but neither the lead guitar nor Gabriel's keys do. Everything is through the IEM. There is one small cabinet on SL behind Richard on the other keys / rhythm guitar, but that is it. Common for the bass to maintain some cabinets - it is damned hard to get good bass in IEM, so the cabinets help the artists feel the bass - it's important. But otherwise, that is a clean stage.

I don't see any Center Fills. If you were that close, you were certainly "behind the mains" and without any backline were not getting any real stage wash, so that would explain the disappointment on sound. You should ALWAYS wander back to Front of House (FOH) position and cozy-up in the zone in-front of the desk. That's what the FOH engineer is hearing...

Tony has some sorta pod thingy on a stand in-front of his rig - must have some great midi patches, huh...?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

What is that box thingy Downstage? Is that a TelePrompter?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    What is that box thingy Downstage? Is that a TelePrompter?
    Yes, there was also one stage left and right. Before the band came on, I could see one of them with some Microsft "windows" open on it which I assumed was a file list for the set that night. I couldn't get my camera to zoo enough to read it.

I don't see any Center Fills. If you were that close, you were certainly "behind the mains" and without any backline were not getting any real stage wash, so that would explain the disappointment on sound. You should ALWAYS wander back to Front of House (FOH) position and cozy-up in the zone in-front of the desk. That's what the FOH engineer is hearing...
    Yes, here's a picture from a gig they did a few nights later (see the little centre fill). The main system were Martin Audio Line Arrays and I am amazed we were getting any sort of decent sound at all as these were noticeable "behind" our position.

Name:  womaud5.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  329.9 KB

I know what you mean about getting near the FOH mixer but it was a choice between getting further away from the stage or hearing better sound. I had to sacrifice sound for position (worth it).

00Robin
    lucky,lucky you. Listening to great music through a great system ia great experience. But to SEE the entire band,and watch what everyone is doing right up there LIVE in front of you,now those are experiences you get to bring up on replay over and over in your mind. Oh God,I just love that more than anything. Forever,over and over. And no lip synching or fake tape crap. The REAL thing. Its Power,right there live right then.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyoz View Post
    Yes, here's a picture from a gig they did a few nights later (see the little centre fill).
    Ah, cute little bugger! I'll bet it did a good job right there.

Yea, the way that cube box is whited-out suggests it is some sorta screen, and that yellow cable looks ethernet to me. I'll bet it's lyrics. I use a music stand myself, just with cues for the start of certain verses - but I don't have a 50-ft wide stage to dance across!! With his vast song list, being able to nail the verses with confidence would be greatly enhanced with a couple a' cues...

Thanks for sharing the pics. As a FOH guy, it's always useful to see what mic types being used where, how they are positioned and what-not. I was surprised at that pic of him singing into a ß 57A - I've moved away from that deployment, myself. They have a pronounced presence peak at 3 - 6 kHz, useful for a couple of dB improvement on GBF, but that presence peak is an unnatural voice EQ and can lead to feedback (although running with IEM moots that concern). I've moved to the Heil PR-20's for vocals - much flatter response, and larger diaphragm. I'm having a great deal of fun with the change...

I was surprised at that pic of him singing into a ß 57A - I've moved away from that deployment, myself. They have a pronounced presence peak at 3 - 6 kHz, useful for a couple of dB improvement on GBF, but that presence peak is an unnatural voice EQ and can lead to feedback
    I have read that Peter Gabriel is picky about the mics he uses (well in the studio anyway). He has said he sometimes actually changes the way he sings depending on the mic to get certain effects...I imagine he is aware of that peaky response and uses it partly to get some of his unique sounding vocal sounds. I have never heard a voice rip through the rest of the mix like PG's does.

Re. the center fills, I know they had logistics problems with that gig as one of the trucks arrived late coming over from France the night before (by that I mean it arived at 5:30pm with a gig starting at 8:00pm!!!). There nearly wasn't a show at all.

Yippee!

I finally made contact with the guy that took some of the best photos from the night. Take a look here:http://www.petergabriel.com/user_pro...N0B5xYYz-GdM2Q..

Probably some of the best concert photos I have ever seen by an audience member! He is going to email me the hi-res files.

Some guy on YouTube has taken the CD recording of No Self Control from the concert and sync'd it with various video snippets of the gigs on YouTube. My footage lasts for about 10sec starting at 1:50 (flashing lights!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGg6X5VliKY

I've emailed the guy to see if he would do the same for Lay Your Hands On Me (the best song of the gig for me).

Thread Information