Thread: find & question

find & question

find:
    yesterday I picked up a pair of Epicure M150's. Took the grill off one of them to see what was there. Rather unremarkable 2 way with an 8 inch LF and the inverted dome HF. The cabs are fairly large at 12x15x25, but I'm a sucker for 2 ways (and even 1 ways)...what really struck me was the inlaid brass in the veneer. 2 Strips running down both sides, brass trims on the fronts and 4 weird brass circles in the tops and bottoms. Have never seen that done before. So I grabbed them , hauled ( 42 pounds each ) them home and wired them up. WOW , for 1973 technology they sound great. Very detailed . I think the large box volume for only an 8 incher must extend the bass. Very happy with the purchase.

Question :
    my amp is a commercial unit that only takes XLR or 1/4 TRS inputs. No rca. The pre is a consumer unit with only rca outs. So I've been using rca to 1/4 TRS converters. no complaints. Also picked up yesterday a handful of XLR plugs. SO, would it be worth it to toss the TRS converters and butcher up some rca cables to wire directly to the XLR's ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I use some of both in my biamp system. I have a pair of the 1/4 (mono) phone plug to rca female connectors for signal IN on my JBL crossover, and use the XLR to rca connectors for the crossover out and Amp in for the
    JBL power amps for the low Freq and hi Freq side of the system.

If you are keen to solder go for it, but other than the logic of "every adapter is a point of failure" I'm not sure you need to change anything.

BTW - Nice looking speaker boxes ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    find:

Question :
    my amp is a commercial unit that only takes XLR or 1/4 TRS inputs. No rca. The pre is a consumer unit with only rca outs. So I've been using rca to 1/4 TRS converters. no complaints. Also picked up yesterday a handful of XLR plugs. SO, would it be worth it to toss the TRS converters and butcher up some rca cables to wire directly to the XLR's ?
    if you are going to be buying and selling gear its probably a good idea to have a few sets of xlr-rca cables made up.........some are pin2 hot and some are pin 3 hot so it might be a good idea to have both marked ............1 pair of 3 foot rca cables cut in half will make 2 sets of 18 inch when the xlrs are grafted on..........nice find by the way

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    ...The pre is a consumer unit with only rca outs...

SO, would it be worth it to toss the TRS converters and butcher up some rca cables to wire directly to the XLR's ?
    I'd be inclined to upgrade the pre-amp to the balanced regime...

:dont-know
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

when I got the M150's , of course searched the web for nfo. Surprise .....found our own GordonW has a set for sale. Asked him about them and this is part of the answer. I dont think he'll mind since its not propriotary.

"I like 'em so much, they're the L, C and R in my home theater! And a pair of M70s are the rears!"

"But yeah... even in stock form, I like 'em a lot. I've put stock M150s up on stands, and run them off of pretty exotic electronics (ie, Sonic Frontiers Line 1 tube preamp feeding an Aragon 8008 amp, with a Wadia 861 CD player at the head of the chain, for one example), and the M150s sounded GREAT. They're one of those things, that the better the stuff you connect to them, the better they sound!"
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thread Information