Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JBL C36 Find Today

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    To avoid starting a flame war - here is a straight telling of WTF Bose 901s are ... Most JBL fans are less than enthusiastic over Bose speakers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    901's are BOSE speakers that are very common in today's high tech, fast paced world.
    no, not really.

I've heard them . Not really bad, but not "my cup of tea" . Consumer Reports magazine got sued when they reviewed the 901 and commented that the image "was not stable, tended to wander" (not a direct quote - but my recollection")

found something on their website:
    Because Consumer Reports once wrote that musical sounds as produced by the Bose 901 stereo speakers ''tended to wander about the room,'' the magazine was ordered to pay the manufacturer $210,000 in libel damages.

bose released the Bose 901 speakers (you know, the strange design with lots of drivers on the rear of the speaker). A lot of stereo magazines gave the 901's good reviews. Consumer reports, however, did not.

"Worse, individual instruments heard through the Bose system seemed to grow to gigantic proportions and tended to wander about the room. For instance, a violin appeared to be 10 feet wide and a piano stretched from wall to wall. With orchestral music, such effects seemed inconsequential. But we think they might become annoying when listening to soloists. (May 1970).

Bose sued the magazine's owner, Consumers Union, for libel, and asked that they be awarded damages covering estimated lost sales.

They noted, for instance, that CR was the lone magazine to cast doubt on their products. Long time supporters of the Consumers Union would probably retort that the other journals were influenced by ad revenue (the six moons (http://www.6moons.com/) of the day?), whereas CR was subscriber supported.

Anyway, the case was appealed all the way to the Supreme Court, and in the end, the court ruled that the review was false, but not maliciously so. I'm not sure why it was a false review, it seemed to hinge on the reviewers use of the phrase "around the room". Maybe the 901s deliver a rock steady image that's nonetheless wrong.

However, you won't find very many reviews of speakers in in recent volumes of Consumer Reports.

from wikipedia

Criticisms
    Bose's systems have been criticized by Stereophile in 1975[48] who, in reviewing the 901 system, state that in the magazine's opinion the system was unlikely to appeal to perfectionists with a developed taste in precise imaging, detail and timbre and that the shortfall in these qualities was an excessive price to pay for the improvement in impact and ambiance generated by the large proportion of reflected sound. The review also said that while the system Stereophile magazine reviewed gave a more realistic reproduction of natural ambiance than any other speaker system, that they found it otherwise unexceptional.
    A reviewer in PC Magazine stated that he believes Bose is not a producer of high-end audio systems, because it didn't fulfill his expectations of what a high-end system should be.[49] (Widely-accepted performance characteristics of 'high-end' audio systems typically include a flat frequency response curve throughout the audible spectrum, and precise impulse response.) Audio enthusiasts frequently criticize Bose in online forums, accusing it of overpricing its products and criticizing the sound produced by Bose products.[50] Enthusiasts who have dissected and measured certain Bose products have found that the frequency response and build quality does not match their expectations for products at those prices.[51]

[edit] Legal Action

In 1981 Bose sued the magazine Consumer Reports for libel. Consumer Reports reported in a review that the sound from the system that they reviewed "tended to wander about the room." The District Court found that Consumer Reports "had published the false statement with knowledge that it was false or with reckless disregard of its truth or falsity" when it changed what the original reviewer wrote about the speakers in his pre-publication draft. The Court of Appeals reversed the trial court's ruling on liability, and the United States Supreme Court affirmed, finding that the statement was made without actual malice, and therefore there was no liability for libel.[52][53][54]
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Seawolf, thatis incredibly interesting...and slightly insettling.

Well, the C36 are all back together and looking as lovely as ever. I gave them another listen as well and there are many albums that sound wonderful on them, but then I listened to my Fortes and it is clear that the best decision for ME is to keep the Fortes and sell the JBLs. I will register the serial #s and if anyone wants to see more pics, i really did take quite a few.

Seeker, I sent you a private message. Give me a shout when you can.

No post in a day...

Did we scare seeker?

-Storm

By the way.

Those cabinets are C-38's.

My Bad!

It's a C-36 . Can't keep it straight. Sorry.

No post in a day...

Did we scare seeker?

-Storm

haha, i'm still here. I just had a busy weekend and spent a couple days recovering. did you miss me? All I will say right now is that I hooked the C36's up once again and listened to them. C36+Miles Davis=Heaven. C36+Pig Destroyer=Hell.

Who is pig destroyer?

Nah, I didn't miss you...but I sure did miss the thread. Best thread in a long time -- very entertaining.

-Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by seekerdestroyer View Post
    haha, i'm still here. I just had a busy weekend and spent a couple days recovering. did you miss me? All I will say right now is that I hooked the C36's up once again and listened to them. C36+Miles Davis=Heaven. C36+Pig Destroyer=Hell.

Who is pig destroyer?

Nah, I didn't miss you...but I sure did miss the thread. Best thread in a long time -- very entertaining.

-Storm.
    Metal band - have a number of albums out ...

http://www.amazon.com/Phantom-Limb-P...dp/B000PGTNF2/
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

The vulture has 'em parted out now on EBay.

Quote Originally Posted by sheltiedave View Post
    In America, unless your item is covered by heritage laws, you can do whatever you want with it. If he desires to make toothpicks from it, that is his prerogative. Prolly bad taste, tho, to publicize it on an enthusiasts forum.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    In America, unless your item is covered by heritage laws, you can do whatever you want with it. If he desires to make toothpicks from it, that is his prerogative. Prolly bad taste, tho, to publicize it on an enthusiasts forum.
    YUP - and some folks here are just sad it wasn't THEIR find to part out.

Y'know, folks here are knowledgeable and don't want to pay too much to own collectibles, but the bottom line is, if you want to sell them, you take what you can get. If folks don't like it, they should make a counter offer for the intact system, but otherwise, its a shame, but bound to happen.

The only other answer is - don't be so eager to tell folks what their speakers are worth in pieces - don't teach them hackery!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    YUP - and some folks here are just sad it wasn't THEIR find to part out.

Y'know, folks here are knowledgeable and don't want to pay too much to own collectibles, but the bottom line is, if you want to sell them, you take what you can get. If folks don't like it, they should make a counter offer for the intact system, but otherwise, its a shame, but bound to happen.

The only other answer is - don't be so eager to tell folks what their speakers are worth in pieces - don't teach them hackery!
    True,True,and True

Quote Originally Posted by sheltiedave View Post
    The VULTURE here. Your definition of "parted out" must differ from mine greatly. I am selling these speakers complete, if you see the auction I think that is quite obvious. I did, however, take the speakers out to photograph for the auction and for serial number documentation for this website...come on already. sheesh.

Heather /John Thanks again for backing me up when it wasnt even necessary. This is getting more and more like a tabloid.

If you are interested in the hubbub: http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-C36-SPEAKERS...QQcmdZViewItem

I'm glad to read (and see) that the sets of LE20s, 14s and other C36 guts on the disappeared EBay auction were not yours, seekerdestroyer. I made a mistake assuming there would not be two sets of C36s showing up in Chicago and hitting Ebay in the same 24 hours - my bad.

Thanks for keeping them together - I get fired up when I see something that has survived 50 years together torn apart. I apologize for the vulture comment sent your way. Good luck in your sale.

Thread Information