Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JBL C36 Find Today

Quote Originally Posted by seekerdestroyer View Post
    Right, I know. This is the thing here, I basically have a revolving system and bring in better components as I find them. In the case of the JBLs, they just don't out perform my Klipsch Fortes, especially with the wide range of music I listen to, so obviously that is a huge consideration. They really are beautiful and I wish I had a secondary tube based system to play with, but alas...
    They don't out wit and out last your Klipsch Fortes?

Wow...no words ---

-Storm.

Right, I know. This is the thing here, I basically have a revolving system and bring in better components as I find them. In the case of the JBLs, they just don't out perform my Klipsch Fortes, especially with the wide range of music I listen to, so obviously that is a huge consideration. They really are beautiful and I wish I had a secondary tube based system to play with, but alas...
    I hardly know how to respond without getting suspended from the forum, Josh.

You ridicule the motives of the other buyer who only wanted them for the legs.

Now, you're going to part them out because they're not better than your Fortes?

Because you have no room for them and your receiver is crapping out?

And because you can likely get more for the legs alone than what you paid for them?

Notwithstanding what they ARE?

What'd you come here for but to find out what the legs are worth?

Not quite sure what i'll do with this, but I'm just enjoying their song for the time being. Wondering if any of you had a definitive word on the Herman Miller-esque-ish legs?

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    I hardly know how to respond without getting suspended from the forum, Josh. You ridicule the motives of the other buyer who only wanted them for the legs. Now, you're going to part them out because they're not better than your POS Fortes? And because you can likely get more for the legs alone than what you paid for them? Notwithstanding what they ARE? What'd you come here for but to find out what the legs are worth?

Wow.
    I really didnt ridicule the "legs" guy...just kinda thought it added to the details of my story. I am not taking an axe to the speakers, its not as if these don't disassemble and reassemble easily...just a screw here and there.

"Notwithstanding what they ARE?"

Please tell me what these "ARE"?
    They are beautiful JBL speakers that sound really good, but just aren't the ones to replace my current POS speakers. Im selling these because they sound BETTER than what I own (where's the sarcasm emoticon when you need it?). There is no accounting for taste, Zilch, I like my current speakers more, I prefer the sound of horns, and i listen to everything from Classical to Grindcore to Jazz to Doom to Folk to IDM.

I apologize if i've offended you with my opinions. I just figure there are some people out there who are looking for exactly what these are or maybe just the woofers or legs. I am sure if you were in need of the legs and didnt need or want the cabs or drivers, then you would be pleased with my decision.

Thanks for the welcome.

What they are is ORIGINAL, classic mid-century JBLs, especially beautiful ones. They cannot ever be reassembled to be that again. It almost doesn't matter whether they sound good or not.

I have no issue with you not liking them or not wanting them.

Sell them complete to someone who appreciates them and will preserve them as such....

If you want to make money off the speakers (an obvious purpose in posting here), and still want to be thought well-of by this community (why should you care?), then simply buy a set of wooden legs from the hardware store that come with threaded rods in the ends and swap them into the C36 cabinets (threads should be the same) and sell the aluminum legs on Ebay. Then sell the entire cabinets, with the wooden legs like the later C36s had anyway, keeping the system intact.

Just trying to help keep the peace and be civil. We should really be blaming the original owner who flipped them to the re-sell-it shop in the first place. Wonder how they treat their children?

Maron Horonzakz
    God !!1 All this ruffelling of feathers over the C36,,,Looks good but Fortys sound better,,,,I know what a great set of legs look like and they are not on the C36. But parting them out is a Mortal sin.

The aluminum feet look something like Herman Miller thin edge ones, however
    the attachment & overall proportions are different. The JBL feet a shorter and attach via a length of threaded rod, the HM attach with wood screws. My guess is that JBL copied the look of the HM feet after noticing that their cabinets closely resembled the proportions of Nelson's HM thin edge case goods.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    The aluminum feet look something like Herman Miller thin edge ones, however
    the attachment & overall proportions are different. The JBL feet a shorter and attach via a length of threaded rod, the HM attach with wood screws. My guess is that JBL copied the look of the HM feet after noticing that their cabinets closely resembled the proportions of Nelson's HM thin edge case goods.
    Thanks for the clarification John!
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

another greedhead who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing...............let this guy do his thing and not waste any more advice on him.he's not worthy

I apologize if i've offended you with my opinions. I just figure there are some people out there who are looking for exactly what these are or maybe just the woofers or legs. I am sure if you were in need of the legs and didnt need or want the cabs or drivers, then you would be pleased with my decision.

Thanks for the welcome.
    your opinions are not the cause of offense...........the shameless destruction of a perfectly good pair of speakers with history does..........the one place where people actually value these things is here and now that you have mined the advice on the profit you can make you come up with the garbage in the quote.......maybe the profit will buy you a nice pair of 901's.........my guess is that you would enjoy those

O.K., let me put a different spin on this:

Josh has rescued these very fine vintage original C36s from an indeterminate fate at the thrift store, at minimal cost.

In the interest of preserving the legacy, he should offer them for sale complete, including the original legs, despite the potential of garnering additional profit via parting them out.

Seeker/Preserver

Very eloquently stated, Zilch.

-Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    O.K., let me put a different spin on this:

Josh has rescued these very fine vintage original C36s from an indeterminate fate at the thrift store, at minimal cost.

In the interest of preserving the legacy, he should offer them for sale complete, including the original legs, despite the potential of garnering additional profit via parting them out.

Seeker/Preserver

So, I think I will sell them complete after all. I guess I didn't at first realize that these were even that rare, considering my good friend has a pair of C38s, I just figure that these were lower in the JBL line for their time and fairly common because of it. This week they will placed placed for sale for anyone interested with all original components, including the legs. I just won't ship these unless the buyer takes care of all arrangements. I hope to make someone very happy with the sale of these.

Jim, I don't even know WTF 901s are.

Storm/Zilch, thanks for giving me some credit, information, and perspective.

S

Storm/Zilch, thanks for giving me some credit, information, and perspective.
    Your are most welcome.

901's are BOSE speakers that are very common in today's high tech, fast paced world.

What is your asking price?

Just an FYI -- your price that you will get for them will drastically decrease if you do not offer to pack and ship them. Trust me, I have packed and shipped many speakers and for the extra dough you get for offering them to a greater audience, it is time worth spent.

And...packing and shipping is not that difficult. There is even a thread on this website dedicated to show you step by step on how to do so...

Good luck.

-Storm.

To avoid starting a flame war - here is a straight telling of WTF Bose 901s are ...

They're Speakers, Jim, they're speakers!

Bose makes a large line of speakers but we are only talking about the Bose 901s -
    which have been around since the 70s.

http://www.amazon.com/BOSE-R-901-VI-.../dp/B00007AJ8D

Bose 901s are speakers with 5 sided D shaped cabinets that contain 9 mid size drivers mounted around the perimeter of the cabinet. The idea is that they radiate in all directions and make the room a larger listening environment. They come with an equalizer thats a required part of making such a speaker "accurately" reproduce full range sound. Some folks love them, some don't. Speakers stands shown are optional equipment (!).

Most JBL fans are less than enthusiastic over Bose speakers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information