Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stereo Sound Article

Stereo Sound Article

As many of you know, Steve Schell and I were honoured with the assignment to develop a comprehensive history of JBL that was published as the core article in a commemorative edition of Stereo Sound marking JBL's 60th anniversary. I promised Stereo Sound that I would hold off on making the English language version available on our site for some time in order not to compromise Stereo Sound's sales. Stereo Sound's chief editor, Koji Onodera, has been kind enough to grant permission to publish it now, so here it is.

There are two versions. The first is a web version. Unfortunately, I am having publishing problems with our main site, so for now, it is located on our test site here:

http://test.audioheritage.org/html/h...acy/legacy.htm

Second, there is a printable PDF version that can be downloaded by clicking on the link below. Be forewarned that this version is 14 MB in size, so I would suggest you only attempt to download it if you have broadband service.

http://test.audioheritage.org/stereo...5-two-side.pdf

This printable version is formatted for two sided printing so that illustrations appear on the left and the main text article on the right. Obviously, you can still print it single sided, but the postioning and photo references will be off. If you just view it within Adobe reader, there is an option to display as two sided by selecting the page display under the view menu as two-up.

I could use your help with these articles. I have proof read them as best I can, but at over 35,000 words, I have been unable catch everything. If you come across typos, spelling or grammatical errors, or factual errors, please post them into this thread so that I can update the articles to finalize them.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Olympus image mislabled as LE8T on LE Drivers page.

[Still reading....]

http://test.audioheritage.org/html/h...y/06_altec.htm

6900 McKinley After Alec Merger

s/b Altec ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

stpower
    The link Seawolf has shows an Altec A-2 system and has it labeled an A-4. The A-4 only used 2 woofers in one 210 enclosure.

stpower

Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie View Post
    ...I could use your help with these articles.
    You, sir, are generous beyond words.

I'll stuff my head into this after tomorrow's gigs...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I could use your help with these articles. I have proof read them as best I can, but at over 35,000 words, I have been unable catch everything. If you come across typos, spelling or grammatical errors, or factual errors, please post them into this thread so that I can update the articles to finalize them.
    On page 10, the sentence reads:

"The model D-130A was offered as a low-frequency variant of the D-130; it featured an edgewound copper voice coil and a paper center dome."

That should be "130A", not "D-130A"; the "D" was reserved to indicate an aluminum domed speaker.

Note: The "D" was also used to indicate a system instead of an empty cabinet. For example if you loaded a 001 speaker system in a C34 cabinet, it became a D34001 system.
    -------------------------------------------------
    On page 13, you talk about Transducers Inc., which was run by William Burton, one of the first JBL engineers, who designed the D123 and the 075. Bart Locanthi would come in on weekends to consult. (Bill and Bart actually built the polar plot recorder from scratch.)

When Ed May came on board at Casitas (as Bill Burton's replacement), Bill Burton started Transducers Inc. in La Canada, CA.
    Small Footnote: The curved map behind William Thomas (on page 13) was made by me and Bill's secretary, Margaret Jackson, while JBL was still on Fletcher Drive (later, Margaret married Bill Thomas).
    Page 30: "As early as the 1940s, Les Paul, the inventor of the electric guitar, had established a personal relationship with Jim Lansing, and JBL was his preferred vendor for loudspeaker components."

Les invented the "solid body electric guitar"; he didn't invent electric guitars. And it was only after the Fender solid body guitars became popular that Gibson agreed to come out with a solid body guitar.
    Other instrument manufacturers that offered JBL speakers as options included Mosrite and Standel.

Thanks for the input Harvey. It is appreciated and I will incorporate the additional information. Just to clarify, the D130A reference is correct. While the "D" was later dropped, Jim Lansing personally chose to name all of the drivers he developed with a "D" prefix for reasons that have been lost to time. For example, the 175 was originally called the D175. This is illustrated in the late 40's catalogs on the site.

Don

Ahh okay, I didn't realize that we had a D130A designation. Never saw one. The "D" might have stood for "Driver" - which would make sense. The 175 assembly during my day was called the 175DLH, which stood for "D"river, "L"ens, and "H"orn.

BTW, I have some JBL catalogs, cut sheets, and booklets that will fill in some blanks that are missing here. Who do I send them to for scanning?

Thanks Harvey. We can make use of this.

I have to ask, can anyone volunteer to do the scanning? I have too many things on my plate for this and would appreciate if someone had the time to undertake this.

Don

Erratum

On page 21, the infinitive marker is missing in "... made the decision to cease production in 1983".

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Thanks Harvey. We can make use of this.

I have to ask, can anyone volunteer to do the scanning? I have too many things on my plate for this and would appreciate if someone had the time to undertake this.

Don

I can scan if no one else can/wants to....

On page 14 (the downloaded PDF version) it says:

"After Jim Lansing’s untimely death on September 24",

but on the stone on the gravesite it says September 29.

Rolf

Quote Originally Posted by louped garouv View Post
    I can scan if no one else can/wants to...
    Scanning is not a problem for me, but I don't know what sizes you want, or where to send them once they're scanned.

I can do dome scanning as well. Just send a PM for my mailing address.

Thread Information