Thread: Just for fun--Can you guess what it is?

Just for fun--Can you guess what it is?

Wasn't sure where to post this.I was cleaning out one of my parts bins and found this,and remember how useful these things where.so lets have a little fun.What is it?? or maybe Ive been watching too much of this old house on PBS,you know when they have this strange part and they try to guess what it is/what is it used for.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by jblwolf View Post
    Wasn't sure where to post this.I was cleaning out one of my parts bins and found this,and remember how useful these things where.so lets have a little fun.What is it?? or maybe Ive been watching too much of this old house on PBS,you know when they have this strange part and they try to guess what it is/what is it used for.
    Easy, I use these in my model trains to generate smoke!

The windings are nichrome wire and there is a "wick" that goes around them. Capillary action draws the smoke fluid (similar to lamp oil) onto the windings were it burns and smokes.

Alternatively, it could be the winding out of an L-pad.

Not from train set(but could have were they got the idea)not part a L-pad,HINT- naw to early in the game

Come on no guess as to what it is

Hint:a speaker company made this part

OK, how about the resistance element in a ceramic, non-inductive resistor used in a crossover. I've pulled them apart to make smoke units for the railroad.

Cool

Your getting real hot,I worked at a service center that did warranty work,in the repair pack we were told to add this part-this speaker company also had problems with other models-pictures to follow of the other fixes we installed and what I used them for.it was funny because they all had the same name,just different wattages

Your getting real hot,I worked at a service center that did warranty work,in the repair pack we were told to add this part-this speaker company also had problems with other models-pictures to follow of the other fixes we installed and what I used them for.it was funny because they all had the same name,just different wattages
    Sounds like some kind of current limiter, resistance goes up when it gets too hot?
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

Easy, I use these in my model trains to generate smoke!
    I only use diesels on mine, I haven't seen any smoke unit for those...
    4331B - L65A

OK- all the guess were very good,when Bose first put out the model 101,people kept blowing the driver,so when they took it in under warranty,the repair pack came with a new speaker and what they called a "speaker limiter",the first 301/501's had the same problem-blown tweeters,so they would put a replacement tweeter,a fuse holder and speaker limiter in the repair pack,this one looked like a automotive light blub,if you have one of these models,take off the grill cover and look down the port,crank the volume up and you should see some light flashing.around my house when the kids were little I always owned vintage/highend equipment and had these things wired to my speakers,just in case the kids would play my sound system when I wasnt around,at first I had fuses wired in line but they blew to easy,these"speaker limiters"worked real good.I only have a few left,whats real funny is I made a call to "the mountain" a few years back and was told they had no idea of what I was talking about and if I had a problem with a product to take it to a repair center,I wish I had saved the flyier that came with the repair packs so I could have sent it to Bose,I may be older but I havent lost my mind. anyway they really did this kind of stuff to fix their BOSEjunk,I will post the picture of the light blub type when I dig it up.

Quote Originally Posted by JohanR View Post
    I only use diesels on mine, I haven't seen any smoke unit for those...
    Yes, all of my diesels also have smoke units.
    Some even have multiple units.

Oh yes, I do remember those limiters. When the 301s first came out, the tweeters were run quite hot and many dorm-room parties blew the tweeters. Installed many, many of them.

JBLwoof, re: your experience with Bose today, I doubt there are many folks there who remember those days when you could actually meet Dr. Amar at the Mountain. The same thing happend at HP, where I recently retired - the smart ones left early....

Cheers,

David

OK- all the guess were very good,when Bose first put out the model 101,people kept blowing the driver,so when they took it in under warranty,the repair pack came with a new speaker and what they called a "speaker limiter",the first 301/501's had the same problem-blown tweeters,so they would put a replacement tweeter,a fuse holder and speaker limiter in the repair pack,this one looked like a automotive light blub,if you have one of these models,take off the grill cover and look down the port,crank the volume up and you should see some light flashing.around my house when the kids were little I always owned vintage/highend equipment and had these things wired to my speakers,just in case the kids would play my sound system when I wasnt around,at first I had fuses wired in line but they blew to easy,these"speaker limiters"worked real good.I only have a few left,whats real funny is I made a call to "the mountain" a few years back and was told they had no idea of what I was talking about and if I had a problem with a product to take it to a repair center,I wish I had saved the flyier that came with the repair packs so I could have sent it to Bose,I may be older but I havent lost my mind. anyway they really did this kind of stuff to fix their BOSEjunk,I will post the picture of the light blub type when I dig it up.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    ,the repair pack came with a new speaker and what they called a "speaker limiter",the first 301/501's had the same problem-blown tweeters,so they would put a replacement tweeter,a fuse holder and speaker limiter in the repair pack,this one looked like a automotive light blub,if you have one of these models,take off the grill cover and look down the port,crank the volume up and you should see some light flashing.
    I have heard of this being done in electronic circuits also...

the people were being purposefully vague, but they were alluding to having a small lightbulb somewhere in the circuit to help the mixer from being overdriven too hard....

I know how you love Urei mixers so I have sent you a separate set of drawings with the Urei fix. Urei used the most advanced technology at the time that included IC chips. The problem with the chip is they do not have a high saturation point like the Bozaks transistors. By installing ... in the Urei circuit it acts like a variable saturation device. If you use a fixed resistor it limits the Urei from producing a higher gain output. The ... installed where I have shown you only absorbs the distortion and lets the mixer reach higher and cleaner output levels. This is a trick we used when we went from tubes to transistors back in the late 50s. Funny how ... installed properly can correct and make the Urei mixer respond and sound so much cleaner.

Ocean Springs, Missississippi. United States

Help

I am very new here to the Lansing Heritage Forum and I desperately need some help. Please excuse my ignorance. How do I post ( actually I believe I need to start a new thread) I have a question regarding my possible purchase of some JBL-112 and I dont know where to post or how to post. Thank you in advance for any assistance. VR Mark

Ocean Springs, Missississippi. United States

Thank you

I really do appreciate your response and yes I have several question. Very helpful and I apologize for intruding into the wrong area. R/Mark

Thread Information