Thread: D130/075/N2400 combo

ecl86

D130/075/N2400 combo

There are lot of model using these combo and I am just wondering how good do they sound. Are they worth to duplicate. I have enough parts to put it together but is it worth the effort. If not what would be a better 2 way setup. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ecl86 View Post
    There are lot of model using these combo and I am just wondering how good do they sound.
    As someone who has listened to the 030 system for now over fifty years, they sound great! The D130 does a great job at all volume levels and gives a realistic musical sound that puts you in the instruments. That being said, low-bass reproduction is lacking compared to a dedicated JBL woofer, as opposed to a fully-instrumented speaker like a D130. Whether it makes sense for you to build a system with these depends on what you want, and really what you're used to.

ecl86
    "Whether it makes sense for you to build a system with these depends on what you want, and really what you're used to."

Yes, I hear you... I guess I just want a pleaseant sound setup in my "work/play" room - nothing critical, just to hear music while I work, doing stuff... I guess for that I can just hook up a pair RadioShack Minimus 7 right. but why suffering myself when i have these jbl drivers sitting collecting dust from obsessively collecting way back when...

Light bass is not an issue for me (it's the nice tone that i am after) so I guess I will put this combo to work this weekend sometimes.... thanks for the recommendation...

They've been my main listening-room speakers for over fifty years. My smaller rooms get L112s and 4412As. I will tell you they like more power than you might expect. More power seems to equate to a fuller and more effortless sound. I've used a mono Pilot tube amp, a Fisher SA-1000 tube amp with a Mac C20 tube pre-amp, but I think they sound best with my current set-up of Soundcraftsmen DX-4200 pre-EQ with a Crown DC300A-II. Next I'm trying my "new" Crown VFX2-A crossover to bypass the N2400s. I hope you like them. They're very "listenable" and never cause me fatigue.

ecl86
    If they are your main listening-room speakers for over fifty years they got to be more than good. I will power them up with my 10watt Ecl86 tube amp. This ought to be cool. Thanks.

Let us know what you think. I find them very clean and well-defined at low volume levels as well as being able to fill the back yard when played on a porch aimed at the mountains (nearly every weekend while I was in college). Played them one weekend until the D150 Crown hit thermal limit. Stuck a pencil under the Crown (non-faceplate model) for air flow and kept on going. I've even played the 030s in my car connected to a cassette deck/radio on an 800-mile trip. (Had to move them anyway so figured why not hook them up. The ultimate pair of headphones!)

ecl86
    I sure will. By the way, I built the N2400 crossover using the schematics from this page: http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Net...tics/N2400.pdf and I use a 8uf follow the inductor for the D130 instead of 6uf as I dont have anymore 6uf on hand. I wonder with the larger cap in this position, what would it do to the sound.

Hi ecl86
    I would recommend sticking to the N2400 schematic and use a 6uf cap.
    Putting an 8uf cap across the D130’s voice coil instead of the required 6uf value is going to cause a drip in the response somewhere right around the crossover point.
    If you’re going to modify N2400’s design in any way, then think in terms of bypassing and charge coupling the caps.
    I did find one big surprise when I opened up my 1973 N2400 crossover networks. The inductor was 1.0mH (JBL Part # 10421) and not the published 1.1mH value.
    Here is a link to all of the details:
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=12938

Baron030

ecl86
    Thanks Baron for the tip. I was about to put in an order for a couple 1.1MH and I am glad that I see your note just in time. I will get the 1 MH and two 6uf caps for this. Thanks again.

Thread Information