Thread: Bass for my Fender Jazz Mod Roscoe Beck

Talking Bass for my Fender Jazz Mod Roscoe Beck

Hello,
    My friend plays bass guitar and he would build a bass cabinet for his Fender Jazz Mod Roscoe Beck using a Gallien-Krueger amplifier. What is the best JBL bass loudspeaker for my friend? And about the bass cabinet volume?
    Ciao
    Giuseppe

You ask a huge question almost impossible to answer. So much depends on personal taste in tone, playing style, need for volume....it's very personal and subjective.

My favorite bass cabinet was the old Dual Showman twin D-140 box from the 1960s. Just a couple of D-140s in a big sealed box. But that's just MY opinion, no doubt many modern players would dislike the sound. No tweeter.

The Bass player at our nightclub, Dave from Manchester, England, has a little 2-10 Hartke cab he carries with his Galleon-Kruger head.

I offered him a JBL Cabaret 4625 with a single E-140 with a tin dome. He really liked it because it had NO tweeter.

He is very accomplished and I know how particular every musician is, as I am the son of two very accomplished musicians.

Dave asked me to build him an enclosure using a single D-140F, which I have, and will try to make it fit into his gig rig.

Good Luck.

Scott.
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

I have a friend, a bass player, with a pristine-but-empty Sunn cabinet designed specifically for a twin D140 load. This thing is HUGE, but he's offered it to my daughter who has just started taking up electric bass. Anyone have a pair of D140s sitting around at a price I can afford to be playing with as an cabinet bottom for a twelve-year-old? Are the D140s desirable for anything else that might make them too valuable for hobby work? Or are they, like D130s, pretty easy to come by cheaply? Anything else easily found that would work? Thanks for any opinions and I hope this add to rather than hi-jacks this thread.

When I saw the Jimi Hendrix Experience Noel Redding was using those JBL loaded Sunns, Hendrix was using two Marshalls and one Sunn.

Mountain was big on Sunn too, that band roared live.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

This little Ampeg is all I need now, I've an offer to play Dixieland, who'da thought it.

RIP 2009
    Hearing the bass player for the Steve Miller Band play through four Sunn bottoms with two D140's each is my first perception of JBL's. 'Nothing but ever since.

Myself - I use a JBL Sub1500 in a 4628B cabinet for bass, powered by one 900 watt channel of a Crest CA-9 amp, along with graphic and parametric EQ.

John

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I have a friend, a bass player, with a pristine-but-empty Sunn cabinet designed specifically for a twin D140 load. This thing is HUGE, but he's offered it to my daughter who has just started taking up electric bass. Anyone have a pair of D140s sitting around at a price I can afford to be playing with as an cabinet bottom for a twelve-year-old? Are the D140s desirable for anything else that might make them too valuable for hobby work? Or are they, like D130s, pretty easy to come by cheaply? Anything else easily found that would work? Thanks for any opinions and I hope this add to rather than hi-jacks this thread.
    your daughter might find that a 2 15 cab is a bit awkward to lug around if she ever plays pro.i have these locally made single 15 cabs that one of our members used to make years ago and that kind of thing might suit her better.if you want i can e mail a pic

Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell View Post
    your daughter might find that a 2 15 cab is a bit awkward to lug around if she ever plays pro.i have these locally made single 15 cabs that one of our members used to make years ago and that kind of thing might suit her better.if you want i can e mail a pic
    Hah! Of course you're right; it'd be a tough thing to lug around. I just thought it would be nice to revive it for "home" use. Seems a shame to let it go to waste.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Hah! Of course you're right; it'd be a tough thing to lug around. I just thought it would be nice to revive it for "home" use. Seems a shame to let it go to waste.
    Thanks.
    I'll be heading up to NYC at the end of July, I'll check my contacts there to see if there's a viable pair of 15's around & let you know.

I've got a 2 x 15 Altec cab I like to use for bass:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ad.php?t=15046

...and a smaller 1 x 15 + 2 x 10 used for either bi-amping or a band-in-a-box approach (bass plus one or two guitars all in one cab). Looking for a Cabaret 4625 or similar for a lonely E140 I have lying around, if anyone has a line on one in any condition.

I used to have two of the old Kustom 3 x 15 tuck'n'roll cabs, they were a hoot. Like having Stonehenge on stage with you. They were apparently available with a JBL-loaded option, I unfortunately had the OEM drivers.

je

I've been thinking of finding a nice old Kustom just to have for "furniture" if nothing else.

It is interersting to me to consider the ratio of sound generated from stage amps versus the main PA back then. Alot of the firepower,or in many early instances, ALL of the firepower was from the stage amps. Several 15's on stage was pretty potent. Nowadays, of course, most bands don't want the high SPL on stage.

I've been using the 4 x 10 format (SWR Goliath) for the past 15 years and find it perfect for most styles. When we play outdoors I add an 18 extension. The four tens will faithfully reproduce the low B (30 Hz)
    and add clarity to to that crucial low mid-bass region that 15's can't.

Don't use guitar speakers (D110), make sure the cab is at least 18 in.
    deep, well braced and vented.
    OPUS POCUS

Bass setup

Hi all, A very interesting quetion. The schoo; of thought 25 years ago was an E140 in a small cabinet tuned around 45 hz. Real punchy and easy to transport. Then it tended toward a dual 15, like a 4508 with E140 or 2225 depending on taste. But my favorite would have to be four 10" with an 18". The best of both worlds, great top end and nice bottom end.

Allan

Thread Information