Thread: L100t3 modification

L100t3 modification

I know someone... I think Zilch, in the past, has talked about putting their L100t3 components into a different cab. To mirror them, and maybe to get rid of the rear porting. Anyone done any major mod to this speaker yet? I'd love to hear anything anyone wants to share on the subject. They're a great speaker, but it seems like someone thought they may be tweaked a bit.

I love mine and don't see parting with them, period.

Chris

You may be referring to Johnaec and I talking about repackaging them in trapezoidal enclosures. Not done yet, but still a priority project.

In the meantime, I have closed the rear ports temporarily and installed 2213H woofers as an acoustic suspension experiment, since mine only came with one 2214H-1 between them, and that's approximately the optimum box size. I also built new biased crossovers with a different LF section for this combination.

Result: I very much like the altered bass, although it's a bit boomy; I've yet to enhance the damping with heavy fill as I did with L88s to optimize the alignment.

I'm not suggesting anyone do this with L100t3s, just reporting it, but I believe it's good enough that I'll be asking John to build both vented and closed-box versions of the cabinets for listening comparisons....

Please let me know how it goes. I may consider doing something similar depending on how technical this gets.

The 2214 woofer is similar to the 128H except for a heavier cone. I've modeled this woofer in a smaller vented cabinet and the response is smoother.

If I can get a pair of 035 tweets I intend to make a small studio monitor from my extra 2214 drivers and see how it goes. A three way studio monitor like the 4312 using the 2214 woofer is one combination JBL never offered. I will probably start with a L100T crossover network and add L-pads for starters and go from there.

ETA on this is probably August. If I don't get a set of tweets by then I'll steal them from my L20T system.

Thread Information