Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cool Craigslist find JBL Endtables

Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie View Post
    Actually, I was referring to Advance. For at least three years, there were always sets for sale in their main showroom. For a while, they were selling 030's in Karlson cabinets as well.
    thats where i got my le 85/hl91 stuff but i just dont remember the jb stuff...........maybe thats before they deemed me worthy of the big rooms....i do remember they used to have the big infinities.quantum line source and maggies,the three section grey ones come to mind.....was that during the reign of roseman and siwiki............i ran into brenda a while back........its amazing that they remember after all this time but the guys they got there now probably would forget you as soon as you walk out the door......

Quote Originally Posted by kingjames View Post
    I hadn't noticed before but just noticed that the LF driver is on top and the 075 is on the bottom. Why do you suppose someone would do it this way?
    The 075 was used in rail yards to beam ultra high frequency sound across the yard to a detector... as cars rolled by they would break the beam and get counted... maybe someone devised a similar setup in their home to keep track of the cat's traveling back and forth?

Widget

i wonder if they were originally designed for a single full range driver,and the 030 stuff added later...........a lot of the old cabinet radio/record players were set up that way.........

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    The 075 was used in rail yards to beam ultra high frequency sound across the yard to a detector... as cars rolled by they would break the beam and get counted... maybe someone devised a similar setup in their home to keep track of the cat's traveling back and forth?

Widget

Dollars to donuts that they are Barzilay cabinets that were popular in the 60s. I picked up a set that looked quite similar (but without the opening fronts) with an 030 system in them for my father-in-law many years back.

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    Dollars to donuts that they are Barzilay cabinets that were popular in the 60s. I picked up a set that looked quite similar (but without the opening fronts) with an 030 system in them for my father-in-law many years back.
    Now that you mention this these look very similiar as to the equipment cabinets that I see on ebay from time to time which were barzilay cabinets.

I have put this link here as it confirms that these are Barzilay cabinets.Mod's I used this link to continue continuity in this thread and not as a sale item that should be in market place.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-JBL-spea...QQcmdZViewItem

THE "end tables" were part of a equipment cabinet made by Barzilay1967-8 with many opitions,one being doors for speakers cabinets,the sample you picked up are a excellent example and the link to a ebay auction is the whole system.I should have added,the picture is from 1968-9 catalog,the most common that you see on ebay.I have had a few of these cabinets,that I reworked with excellent results(Le15a)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by jblwolf; 06-26-2007 at 05:51 AM. Reason: info added

thanks Jblwolf, you're catalog pictures is also a confirmation.Where did you locate that catalog?

I think it came from a Allied catalog?,I found the page in a equipment cabinet with speakers,the speakers were Altec 605's,mac preamp/amp,sony reel to reel,garrard turntable,I redid the speaker cab to house a le15,I redid the equipment cab to house a single 2245(tent sale item $105)no pictures yet-and used the extra lumber to build the mounts for the 375/077's
    Last edited by jblwolf; 06-27-2007 at 04:24 AM. Reason: added

and

AWESOME!!!

Barzilay Design two cabinet...

I wish I had the 3 piece model. I have the model II which is a one-piece.

I can't even give that console away!!!

Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Quote Originally Posted by spkrman57 View Post
    I wish I had the 3 piece model. I have the model II which is a one-piece.

I can't even give that console away!!!

Ron
    I would prefer the 3 piece as well.

you said free?To bad your not closer,how close are you to the michigan/ohio boarder?.you may want to take it apart and save it for the vintage lumber.what I like about the barzilay stuff is its only 18" to 20"deep,I had a pair of L300(23-24"deep) and a B460(24-25"deep)and they really took away alot of room from the wall.I started picking up barzilay stuff and reworking the cabinets,or saving the lumber for future projects(pictured 6.5cuft for the le15a)and the project Im working on now,redoing a equipment cabinet to house a 2245h(15-16cuft-60x28x18).I guess I like to tinker around with my sound system,over the last 25 years my taste has changed,moving from factory made systems to completely custom,experimenting with different driver combos from Altec/Jensen/JBL/Tru sonic and so on.a sheet of walnut goes for $115 to $155 a sheet,when I can get the barzilay on the cheap you catch were Im coming from?

Thread Information