Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cool Craigslist find JBL Endtables

Cool Craigslist find JBL Endtables

Got these on Craigslist.

I'm sure these cabinets weren't made by JBL but they are built very well. There are wheels on the bottom as well.How practical these really are. Put lamps on them and when you're ready for the music just open the doors. Pictures attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

cont

cont.

cont

Quote Originally Posted by kingjames View Post
    Got these on Craigslist.
    I'm sure these cabinets weren't made by JBL but they are built very well. There are wheels on the bottom as well.How practical these really are. Put lamps on them and when you're ready for the music just open the doors. Pictures attached.
    Are we to congratulate you on your finding a very tidy JBL 030 system or are you posting these to sell? I'd guess you want to sell them since they are in the Market place??

Either way, they do look quite nice... the cabinets are not my style, but someone with a shag carpet theme may really dig them.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Are we to congratulate you on your finding a very tidy JBL 030 system or are you posting these to sell? I'd guess you want to sell them since they are in the Market place??

Either way, they do look quite nice... the cabinets are not my style, but someone with a shag carpet theme may really dig them.

Widget
    Mr. Widget I put these in the marketplace because my last post on free items that I was offering to members was moved there. I'm not sure where anything goes anymore. I just like the concept of these, an out of the way cabinet so to speak.It definately has that 60's look. I can remember in those days when all end tables looked like these. I like wood items and though I really don't care too much for the finish on these they are still wood none the less.

You say these are the 030 system, I will have to do a search on this to feed my brain. I haven't hooked them up yet but they look to be in good shape and don't think there will be a problem. I am curious to see how they sound.I don't know if I can get used to a 2 way system again.

I remember in the early 70's I had a 2 way system with a 15"LF driver and this 075 HF driver. Don't remember what model cabinet. I also remember that it took some getting use to a 2 way system. After a while though it grew on you and sounded outstanding as you would expect from JBL in those days.

The history on these as told by the person who sold them to me is that they have been in a warehouse since the 60's and have not been used.The owner of this property died in 1968 and the property was just more or less abandoned,maybe he had no realitives or something. This guy purchased this warehouse for the land and found a few goodies after entereing the building.

In one room that had been completely sealed for this long revealed these speakers and a JBL console equipment cabinet which had an old Teac reel to Reel, Mcintosh Amp and Mcintosh preamp and a Knight microphone.

These items have probably 40 years of dust when I picked them up but what was good there was no dust whatsoever inside the cabinets.It's just good that these 15's don't have foam.

Inside one cabinet I found a perfect cartoon section from the Chicago Tribune dated July 16th 1967.I have posted a couple of picture's of it.

Isin't this D130 LF driver considered a guitar speaker? If so why would it be matched with an 075 HF driver?

I have to admit I am still confused. Are you:

1. just posting interesting pictures you found on Craigslist?
    2. selling this system?
    3. keeping the components and giving away the enclosures?
    4. just wanting to find out more about the system?

The D130 is not a guitar speaker, though variants have been made for that purpose. It was the first 4" voice coil driver made by JBL and was personally designed by Jim Lansing in 1947. Like the speaker you have illustrated, the system you recall from the 70's would have been the 030 system, consisting of the D130, 075 and N2400 xover. JBL never packaged this system in a dedicated enclosure but offered a number of enclosures that could accept this kit, the last 70's version being the L45 Flair. I would gues that many more systems were installed in custom enclosures than were ever supplied in JBL cabinets. In the 70's our local JBL dealers pumped out scores of these systems in locally built, unfinished 13 cu. ft. cabinets.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie View Post
    2. selling this system?
    The D130 is not a guitar speaker, though variants have been made for that purpose. It was the first 4" voice coil driver made by JBL and was personally designed by Jim Lansing in 1947. Like the speaker you have illustrated, the system you recall from the 70's would have been the 030 system, consisting of the D130, 075 and N2400 xover. JBL never packaged this system in a dedicated enclosure but offered a number of enclosures that could accept this kit, the last 70's version being the L45 Flair. I would gues that many more systems were installed in custom enclosures than were ever supplied in JBL cabinets. In the 70's our local JBL dealers pumped out scores of these systems in locally built, unfinished 13 cu. ft. cabinets.
    western sound im guessing,as i remember i bought my stuff there after a side by side demo with an 030 in grey cabs........my original receipt said 030-3 as it was a 136a,077,and an le 5-2 in a slightly smaller box,unpainted mdf.......

clmrt
    Where did the tweets go in the cabs? I don't see the opening.

Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell View Post
    western sound im guessing,as i remember i bought my stuff there after a side by side demo with an 030 in grey cabs........my original receipt said 030-3 as it was a 136a,077,and an le 5-2 in a slightly smaller box,unpainted mdf.......
    Actually, I was referring to Advance. For at least three years, there were always sets for sale in their main showroom. For a while, they were selling 030's in Karlson cabinets as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie View Post
    2. selling this system?

Don, thanks for the info on the 030 system and specifically the D130. Now to answer you're questions.

1.Wanted to share another find with the forum

2.Eventually I will sell this system sometime as I have no desire for DIY projects.

3. I would like to sell as complete system when I do decide to sell them

4.I always want to know about stuff I find.

1.Wanted to share another find with the forum

2.Eventually I will sell this system...
    Cool find then.

I'll move it to "General" then... you can always sell them on eBay, post a link in the Market Place or simply post them on the market Place when the time comes.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by clmrt View Post
    Where did the tweets go in the cabs? I don't see the opening.
    In the box there is a cutout below the woofer and the cutout looks like it was originally designed for a horn. In this cutout not noticeable in the pictures is a little area that was cut off on the top edge and they were mounted here with the brackets. I hadn't noticed before but just noticed that the LF driver is on top and the 075 is on the bottom. Why do you suppose someone would do it this way? Is there any advantage to this setup? I never seen a setup where the HF driver was below the LF driver but I haven't seen too many sytem's anyway so I am not an expert.

In the box there is a cutout below the woofer...
    That rectangular cutout is likely a "tuned" port.

Widget

Smile

That rectangular cutout is likely a "tuned" port.

Widget
    Yeah, well you can tuna port in an enclosure, but you can't tuna fish.

Cool find then.

I'll move it to "General" then... you can always sell them on eBay, post a link in the Market Place or simply post them on the market Place when the time comes.

Widget
    Thanks much Mr.Widget.

Thread Information