Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Backyard Box Building - The Build

Quote Originally Posted by Russellc View Post
    Absolutely gorgeous! Let's hear about installation of the zilch cloth please!

Russellc
    I'll second that! Very Nice Mac!
    Just Play Music.

Zilch cloth

If you have had a peek at the construction so far you will have noticed that the grilles are one piece and have a general shape and form that emulates the look of the 300 grille. However to alleviate the bulk somewhat , as JBL did in some of the 43xx monitors, I elected to create a split horizontally.
    Trouble is that there was not really a suitable space to allow the grilles to be in two separate pieces, or at least not where I figured the best visual option was.
    Hence the slot across the grille in the above pics.
    It had been my plan to use a piece of wire with the insulation on to jam the fabric into the slot but as it happened this was not necessary.

Proceedure was as follows. : Glue is that spray adhesive that carpet fitters use. NOT the fine stuff that you can use for mounting photos ( 3M T fix ). The stuff you need is the kind that sprays out in a kind of fan shape from the nozzle and lands on the target as a lacy pattern . It looks creamy colour to start and then goes clear.
    What you have to do is mask any areas that you do not want covered with sticky. Quite important to do this. On the back of the frame you want to leave 1/2" for your adhesive so mask accordingly. In my case because the edge of the frame was quite deep It got some adhesive mainly to reduce the pull on the back side.
    For my slot I gave it 2 coatings at fairly close range right down into the slot.
    On the back of the cloth in that area ( masked ) it got a light coating. It is important to let this stuff tack up whereupon it behaves like contact adhesive.
    All the other areas that need adhesive get coated before you fix the cloth. Two coats is good if you are careful, and a light coat on the cloth if you can map out where you will need it. Do not overdo the coating on the cloth it does not need it and you do not want seep through. LET IT SET UP A BIT BEFORE YOU HANDLE IT
    I fed the cloth ino the slot first starting in the middle and working outwards.
    It was forced down as far as poss and over the side edges before any attention was paid to the main panels. It was at this point that i discovered that the wire was not needed as this type of glue grabs a good hold.
    From there on it was pretty easy, stretch to the corners first, but not too tight and then gradually work away from the corners stretching so that a flat fit is made. The adhesive will allow a couple of adjustments if needed and also if it is easier to get everything flat you can do a mitre at the corner back. This will take out a segment roughly 45 deg thereby allowing the fix along the straight edges to be simpler. Do have a fresh blade in your craft knife and if it helps use some release paper to prevent things sticking where you dont want them.
    Actually that glue will grab a hold without leaving a residue as long as it is not pressed too hard and as long as it has been allowed to tack up . You can leave that stuff quite a long time without it loosing its grabby properies.
    Once you are in place and happy apply firm pressure where the glue is esp. along the back edge, and then trim to a neat finish.
    Clean up is with zippo lighter fuel or similar. Probably best to do a little test piece just to get a feel for it.

I used to make temporary air locks for the asbestos removal people. This involved wooden frames with plastic sheeting over all stitched up with this stuff. Sprayed on both surfaces there is no way it would come apart.
    If you want duct tape to stick forever spray this on your target area and then use your tape. Never comes off.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Greetings,

WOW!!! I am gobsmacked by the quality and detail of your work Sir!!! Makes me want to burn every cabinet I've ever cobbled together!! Outstanding tutorial, Sir, and thank you, very much, for sharing it with everyone!! Wonderful, simply wonderful!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Yes, A1 for sure. Thanks for the cloth tutorial!

Russellc

Thanks peoples

I really hate that stinking flash on that camera, It just washes out everything. Ihave on occasion put a little toilet tissue over the flasher. This seems to subdue the harshness somewhat. My buddy has a Nikon dig SLR. I'll see if I can get him to have a go. The pics are not natural at all particularly on the wood which has now picked up a nice deep lustre. That hot look when they were first finished has settled down nicely. They will get a final wax with proper beeswax and that as they say will be that.

Proof of the pudding

I truly look forward to seeing the results of my efforts in putting this together.
    I have my tangible reward but lets see what you folks can achieve.
    PICS PICS please, c'mon Russell what are you up to and all you others.
    Anyone who has a wrinkle on the way please PM me i will try to help as best as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Thats alright, I'm sure Mac wouldnt mind sharing it with some girls
    What does she say about Bud-Weisse/er beer?

Um..ah...I'll have to plead the fifth out of respect for many of my American friends, here.

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    I truly look forward to seeing the results of my efforts in putting this together.
    I have my tangible reward but lets see what you folks can achieve.
    PICS PICS please, c'mon Russell what are you up to and all you others.
    Anyone who has a wrinkle on the way please PM me i will try to help as best as I can.
    OK, this friday the 2225Hs are going to the reconers to be converted to 2235H. Crossover parts are ordered, and work will commence. I have been side tracked on cab building b/c I snagged a JBL 4647 pair and have been using them for bass bins for various projects. Its a cool box I may veneer using your techniques. Its 5 cu ft and has four ports. With all open, its 40 hz, plug one, 34 hz (4430 range) plug 2 ports and its like a B 380 sub.

Right now it has a JBL waveguide ( only 9.90 from JBL pro parts) and a selenium 220 ti compression driver and a crossover designed by Zilch and Jackgiff over on the AK forum "econowaveguide" thread. This simple inexpensive combo is kicking major arse!

the coolest developement is that I may aquire a new house that has a killer "speaker room" (2 actually) in the basement, and it has a nice sized shop right off it....too bad I'll be broke, so Im aquiring everything I'll be needing project wise NOW! Pics to follow, I'm at "work" now.

Russellc

Thats more like it

I'm thinking of finding a small tweeter horn box to veneer first, as this will be my first attempt at such. I guess I could build some 1/2 cu ft boxes for some 2123Hs I have on hand, in case I want to try 3 way.

Russellc

The Pic JBL 4647 w/Jbl waveguide

Here's the 4647 with 2225H drivers. On top is the JBL waveguide ( inexpensive 9.90 one ) and Selenium 220 ti. This is one of the least expensive speakers I have personally owned in a LONG time, it really sounds good for what it is, I kid you not! Based on a thread in another forum by Zilch.

Zilch told me that eventually he will do it with the JBL 2425H, and I will install that driver then, making it an all JBL system, except the crossover of course.

A7 for size comparison. The 4647 is 5.0 cu ft I believe. It's a big ugly black box right now, but when I veneer it, and build a grill for it, will be prettier, I hope! Waveguide will be cut into the lower part of the face plate and the cabinet turned "upside down."

Russellc
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Wow

So how does that compare against the A7 ?

So how does that compare against the A7 ?
    I love my A7s, I've been tweeking them for years and got them to sound fairly nice. they are more vintage, i.e. diffuse sounding, big, warm, very enjoyable.
    The 4647 boxes are more like high end type speakers with the high efficiency edge. WAY more bass of course, with all the imaging and so forth. The crossover makes the response really flat on these things. The 9.90 wave guide is a minor miracle as far as I'm concerned, the results are indeed astonishing! basically, I love the A7 but these things kick their ass in almost every parameter, with the exception of the "frankenstein laboratory/Industrial" styling.

Russellc

Quote Originally Posted by Russellc View Post
    with the exception of the "frankenstein laboratory/Industrial" styling.

Russellc
    Interesting comments. We know how to deal with the styling issues don't we , hmmmm ?

Interesting comments. We know how to deal with the styling issues don't we , hmmmm ?
    I believe Russell's alluding to the unique aesthetics of A-7's.

Several members have "domesticated" 4507/4647 cabs, e.g.:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...985#post179985

Most of my work with PT waveguides has been using smaller cabs and 2213H or LE14. With those, there's always an issue of raising or aiming the horn axis to listening height, so I'm working on a "tower" configuration right now....

Thread Information