Thread: JBL L110's

JBL L110's

Well....I picked up my first set of JBL speakers. The JBL L110. This pair is rough for sure but the price was right. I have them at the speaker guys place getting those surrounds replaced on the woofers but it looks like I am going to need at least one if not a pair of JBL 033 tweeters and maybe a mid to get them up and running right. Gonna work w/ the boxes and get them as nice as possible. A plus is that the grills are there and intact.

Any suggestions on caps for a x-over recap would be appreciated.

I've read some good things about these speakers and am anxious to give em a try.

Any thought or impressions are welcomed.

Looks like a good project.

Tweeters and mids can be had on eBay with patience, luck and (unfortunately) the will to over pay sometimes.

Several fix up projects are in the archives here is a start:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=5321
    Paying debt to Karma...

RIP 2009
    If you haven't already, ask your refoamer to be sure to correctly mount the new foam on the inside, (back side, of the cones, like the original.

I just picked up a pair of L110's and really like them!

John

Thanks for the replies so far. I will take your advise and call him and make sure he knows for sure.

I found my L110's on ebay missing the LE111 woofers, which I just happened to have a pair of sitting on the shelf. One woof was good, the other I reconed using a true JBL LE111 kit($296).

One of the 033 tweeters did not work on arrival, but after some tedious work with the diaphram, I was able to find the broken wire in the tiny voice coil. I peeled off one or two turns, resoldered, and it works great!

After listening to these L100's everyday at work in my workshop/office, I am so very pleased with what comes out of them.

I have my laptop woth a new Creative expansion port sound card, driving directly into a Yamaha M-4 amplifier, then directly to the L110s.

I have dialed the l-pads to scrub them, and adjusted to taste.
    I get compliments from everyone that enters my office! They just sound great!

I believe they are a worthy pair of speakers, and if you can breathe new life into them, you will be very pleased with their over-all sound!

I was going to update the xovers with bypass caps, but just enjoy them the way they are.

The 033 tweeters are rare, but do come up on ebay, and you will be bidding against everyone of us that have a pair looking for a spare set. Be prepared.

Refinish or replenish the cabinets. I hope your reconer does an A+ job of refoaming. LE-5's are plentiful enough out there.

With a really good preamp/amp combo and your favorite Steely Dan cd, you can certainly raise the hairs on the back of your neck when the girls come in..."babylon sisters..."!!!

I also have the original white paper on these L100s and after reading the engineer's report, I understand them so much better!!!

Enjoy. Be Giddy! Tweak until your heart's content! You will lovethem!!!

and....
    if you don't,
    I'll give you $100 bucks for the tweeters!

Scott.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

You might want to hit up Larry, LRBacon, who is a big L110 fan. I think he has five or six pairs of them. He may have some insight or even some extra parts laying around?

Great speaker!

Mark

If memory serves me correctly you can dismantle the tweets by taking out the 4 screws on the faceplate. This releases the coil / dome assembly allowing you to re form the shape somewhat from behind the dome. The true shape will probably never come back but it has to be better than it is at present. Is there not a foam plug in there also . You will find out but you have nothing to loose going this route.

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    If memory serves me correctly you can dismantle the tweets by taking out the 4 screws on the faceplate. This releases the coil / dome assembly allowing you to re form the shape somewhat from behind the dome. The true shape will probably never come back but it has to be better than it is at present. Is there not a foam plug in there also . You will find out but you have nothing to loose going this route.

Thanks for the info. This has already been done and the one still distorts so it will need to be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by oznob View Post

Thanks!

Unfortunately I missed the 033 on eprey. Hope some more show up soon. I hope to be picking up the speakers w/ the new foam this week.

Quote Originally Posted by SMKSoundPro View Post
    I found my L110's on ebay missing the LE111 woofers, which I just happened to have a pair of sitting on the shelf. One woof was good, the other I reconed using a true JBL LE111 kit($296).

One of the 033 tweeters did not work on arrival, but after some tedious work with the diaphram, I was able to find the broken wire in the tiny voice coil. I peeled off one or two turns, resoldered, and it works great!

After listening to these L100's everyday at work in my workshop/office, I am so very pleased with what comes out of them.

I have my laptop woth a new Creative expansion port sound card, driving directly into a Yamaha M-4 amplifier, then directly to the L110s.

I have dialed the l-pads to scrub them, and adjusted to taste.
    I get compliments from everyone that enters my office! They just sound great!

I believe they are a worthy pair of speakers, and if you can breathe new life into them, you will be very pleased with their over-all sound!

I was going to update the xovers with bypass caps, but just enjoy them the way they are.

The 033 tweeters are rare, but do come up on ebay, and you will be bidding against everyone of us that have a pair looking for a spare set. Be prepared.

Refinish or replenish the cabinets. I hope your reconer does an A+ job of refoaming. LE-5's are plentiful enough out there.

With a really good preamp/amp combo and your favorite Steely Dan cd, you can certainly raise the hairs on the back of your neck when the girls come in..."babylon sisters..."!!!

I also have the original white paper on these L100s and after reading the engineer's report, I understand them so much better!!!

Enjoy. Be Giddy! Tweak until your heart's content! You will lovethem!!!

and....
    if you don't,
    I'll give you $100 bucks for the tweeters!

Scott.
    What are the two units next to the L110? How is Anchorage? I lived there from '72-'76 then moved to Cordova, AK from '76-'84. I was 8 mo. old when we moved to Anchorage.

The ratty tweet is probably off centre. Go get a signal generator free dopwnload from the web. take the faceplate off the tweet and loosen the securing screws. Find a frequency that excites the distortion and with the unit running try to eliminate it by re positioning the dome assembly. once it goes clean sounding tighten up ( fingers crossed ). You may alternatively have some crud in the gap - take the dome out as before and use a piece of thin plastic to clean out the gap. Have a good look at the coil whilst you are at it. Any burning or bubbling on the windings. You seem to know the drill

L110

I just bought a pair of L110s and found one mid was not working. Replaced a resistor in the x/o which solved the problem, but makes me think other x/o components need attention. If you get some x/o or recap advice, please let me know. Schematics are available, but I'm not confident I can follow one without a picture or some more help.
    Thanks.
    Dave.

Thread Information