View Poll Results: Do you want an OT section?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 47.73%
  • No

23 52.27%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Proposal Per Don's Suggestions

Dome's presentation is compelling, primarily in the distinction it makes between OT subject matter. There is a major difference between Edge's wedding, Northy's pics, Heather's blooms, and Jim's grandkids as a class, versus the political, religious, and cultural crapfest which ultimately overtook that forum.

If OT comes back, I'd prefer if the latter were excluded. I enjoy learning more about members here as persons, where they live, and about their lives, but what those other discussions reveal is more than I want to know, and the spillover is certainly disruptive in the main forums....

First Idea: Make it hidden by invite only, or make it a must apply first b4 entering. Just call it the Freedom Of Speech thread (FOS) and don't moderate it, because it is Freedom Of Speech. Then no one has to waste their time worrying about the content. If you want to participate it is your choice, ENTER AT OWN RISK, but don't bitch about it, if and when things get out of hand, remember YOU make your own enemies.

Second Idea: Do as the Zilchster and others recommend and bring back the OT thread, but insist it is only about topics of fun, family, other projects, cars, boats, hobbies, and vacations. Nothing offensive, and no bitch festing period.
    Jeff-S1A

Quote Originally Posted by sourceoneaudio View Post
    Make it hidden by invite only, or make it a must apply first b4 entering. Just call it the Freedom Of Speech thread (FOS) and don't moderate it, because it is Freedom Of Speech. Then no one has to waste their time worrying about the content. If you want to participate it is your choice, ENTER AT OWN RISK, but don't bitch about it, if and when things get out of hand, remember YOU make your own enemies.
    I guess that I just don't get it. Why would we want something that unpleasant here? You make it sound like a thread where every post is as bad as your avatar.

I voted no for the idea of bringing an OT back. My idea was reflective of all the blowouts previous. If it's hidden and if people want an area like that people like us on the outside wont care what goes on in there.

(if you can't see it :dont-know )

Besides that recommendation was meant more as a joke. I would much rather have a OT area that is not abusive, and more fun. That is if one opens up. ??
    We just don't need the same issues that happened b4.

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    You make it sound like a thread where every post is as bad as your avatar.
    Do you like this one better Don?
    Jeff-S1A

I have voted for a OT forum. Of any kind, just so friends with the same hobby can talk together ... about other things than just speakers and other hi-fi stuff.

I do not know what will became the outcome of this discussion, but I will strongly recommend the the OT forum is brought back in some way.

This will bring back a lot of members, and many of them will give contributions that the forum will have the benefit of. Including me. As it is at this time, I am not interested in giving anything, and I am talking money.

Strange that I should pop in today and read this thread, as I have not been here much since the closing of the OT.

Hope you get to your senses moderators, and open the OT is some way you can accept.

Rolf

P.S. I sent a PM for some time ago (you know who you are). No reply, and that says something to me about the arrogance that I mean should change in this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    The old off topic forum served a number of useful and graceful purposes. It wasn't all bad; in fact, it was mostly good.

It gave Don a place to post some of his interesting photographic essays, which I truly enjoyed. It was a main platform for our brother northwood to post some truly amazing pictures, including one of the best photos I've ever seen. Sadly, now it is lost to me. It offered me and others the chance to create small threads of beauty and interest and entertainment through words and pictures.

Yes there were a few photos that for cultural or political reasons, a few members raised concerns over. IMO these were gross over-reactions and demonstrated an inclination that runs through American culture that isn't so pleasant: quick judgment and cultural intolerance. Now that's a topic for off topic, eh?

In addition, OT would be an appropriate venue for edgewound's and magnet3's happy news. It would be the right place for Scott and me to rev up a discussion on bumper cars, hot dogs, and summer nights. It would be a good place for Heather to show the backyard in bloom, or Jim to tell about his grandkids, or Ian about his last (or next) trip to the States, or folks to talk about their dogs, cats, fish, cars, etc.

This was at least 50% or more of the old OT in terms of content, though not necessarily in terms of post. The conflict centered around a very limited set of topics which generated petty, vindictive, defensive, and mean-spirited streams of posts that really ramped up the post count in those threads.

I looked at northwood's photo essays countless times, but didn't add a post every time I looked. Yet, some inane topic like Anna ..... (I can't even write it) death seemed to attract posts like flies to a spoiling carcass on a Tennessee road in summer. I probably visited that putrid thing four times, posted a few, then abandoned it and wouldn't care if it were closed and removed.

But I dislike the "baby with the bath water" approach that shovels that thread, Don's photos, northwood's work, the anti-Bush stuff, etc., etc. all into to one trash bag and sets it by the curb.

That, my friends, is overreaction, and it strips the site of perspective and depth.

Why do we need perspective and depth, when all we should be talking bout is Lansing Heritage and nothing more?

Well, first because we already tacitly acknowledge that we need it by hosting several non-Lansing forums. Sure, we dress it up by calling them Lansing-related or forum issues, but that really is just a way to dress up the fact that they're off the main topic yet we still REALLY want to talk about them.

Second, we are all humans with depth and perspective in our personalities. The notion that we can parcel ourselves out and seek out different sites for each element of our personalities is a neat logical trick, but in practice not so neat to execute. It has the emotional and psychological effect of stripping us into discrete pieces which we try to address in the different venues where we present one-dimensinal, cardboard images of ourselves.

Here's my Lansing face. Here's my picture taking face. Here's my music face. Here's my woodworking face. Here's my movies face. Etc.

We have the ability to make the site a representation of the reality of Jim Lansing's legacy. It was brilliant, visionary, complicated, conflicted at times, filled with family and hopes and dreams, technical, musical, cinematic, rough, troubled, and real. In other words, it had depth and perspective.

If the main problem is moderation or the workload, then someone needs to address the simple solution that's been floated here often: more moderators. It seems as though there's a resistance to a simple solution.

Scott can't/shouldn't shoulder this alone. It's unreasonable. If others have their hands full managing their current duties, then find additional help. But let's not have the impression that moderators belong to a finite group, that there's no possible way to increase the numbers, or that it's a special club that no one else gets to join serve as excuses for inaction on this.

I won't single anyone out in public, but I think a number of us could identify one or two or three members whom we believe could add to those ranks.

So, my vote is "yes."
    How is I can't write like this? YES I agree.

You know, you guys should maybe just let it rest a while, I mean this. Everyone pretty much said everything there is to say about this subject, including myself.

Now the comments about who should say what, when to do it, and why it shouldnt are coming in, and hey Ya know, this is the same stuff that fired up the old OT into ending up shitcanned.

I dont know what more to say to you guys, except, this thread in the last few posts is really showing all the reasons we dumped OT in the first place.

And FWIW, IF we were to have another OT, this is why we would like it to be somewhat private, with a controlled entry, TO STOP all the BS and bickering.

But hey, continue on, it wont matter what I say, YOU guys are doing a good enough job of showing why there shouldnt be another OT section.

And here I voted yes, and am willing to donate my time to moderate a section like this, you'se make me wonder, though!

Let it rest, already.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    Rolf

P.S. I sent a PM for some time ago (you know who you are). No reply, and that says something to me about the arrogance that I mean should change in this forum.
    Rolf - you sent me a PM a while back and wanted me to call you after we had a disagrement - but I'll be honest, its not likely that I would call Norway on my nickel for an argument
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post

Glad you joined the discussion. Make sure and cast a vote!
    I have done my vote bo. Guess what. Y/N?

I believe in a life outside LBL ... Or is it JBL ... Or Lansing Heritage?

Therefore I believe in a OT forum where people can be people and talk about other stuff inside the forum we all love so much. If not inside the forum we have to search the Web, and I do not believe we will find what we seek there anyway.

So ... Please make it come back in one way or another.

I promise to behave and be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Rolf - you sent me a PM a while back and wanted me to call you after we had a disagrement - but I'll be honest, its not likely that I would call Norway on my nickel for an argument

It was NOT you, and my PM was a serious mail to somebody "high up" in the LH system.

Because I had nothing left to say. Thats why I never answered your PM. I am truly sorry your still holding a grudge against me for it, but I just had nothing left to say.

Furthermore, I have had to reconsider my position on an OT section as well. The last section of posts on this thread show me that unless we really did run the section with exclusivity, it WILL be the same BS all over again.

I will not moderate a section with people whining and bitching why this, and not that, and who says?

GREAT, you guys want OT? YOU GUYS talk to Don, IM OUT!

scottyj

no.

sorry can't help you there.

(revised quote): "10 - 'Lansing Heritage' has no opinion on outside issues; hence the LHF name ought never be drawn into public controversy."

If you are not sure where this revised quote is sourced from, please ask someone. They will surely know.

Scott M. Koeller.
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    Because I had nothing left to say. Thats why I never answered your PM. I am truly sorry your still holding a grudge against me for it, but I just had nothing left to say.

Furthermore, I have had to reconsider my position on an OT section as well. The last section of posts on this thread show me that unless we really did run the section with exclusivity, it WILL be the same BS all over again.

I will not moderate a section with people whining and bitching why this, and not that, and who says?

GREAT, you guys want OT? YOU GUYS talk to Don, IM OUT!

But it was not you Scotty!! I cant get in tuch with you on PM or e-mail. Can somebody who knows him give a call or e-mail him? It was not him!!!

Sorry about the mess my comment of who that did not reply has done. I have got PM's and now this from Scotty, so I just have to tell you who it is, and it is Don, reganding the donation. Nobody else.

I have no hard fellings to anybody, and I hope nobody has anything against me.

I have apologised for my "blow out" some time ago, and that's it. If anybody have anything to say to me, please PM me.

Well, I had PM,s from you that I left unanswerd, so I apologize for taking you out of context.

Now it appears we are going to have a trial run on an OT section.

So, lets all just be cool and enjoy the ride!

scottyj

Thread Information