View Poll Results: Do you want an OT section?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 47.73%
  • No

23 52.27%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposal Per Don's Suggestions

OK, I have a few minutes.

Yes, religion and politics are tough topics, but, you cant deny, they are part of our everyday lives too!

I might venture to say that we should be able to hold normal conversation without becoming overly excitable? If something happens, the govt decides to abolish income taxes, we shall say, I would jump for joy, and I want to talk about it.

And, if something bad happens, we like to talk about that too. In some cases different perspectives, differering opnion, etc. In some cases, we comfort each other through bad or horrible incidents.

Rob, do you have any way of defining what is a SLOW START into talking about religion and politics? OTOH, I kind of feel the start of a new private OT section, the beginning is great and runs smoothly.
    scottyj

Rob, do you have any way of defining what is a SLOW START into talking about religion and politics?
    Sure it's like smoking without inhaling.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Sure it's like smoking without inhaling.

Rob
    scottyj

Maron Horonzakz
    Let me get this straight....You want a private talk site by invitation? A private talk club, Invitation or paid exclusive site,,,How about Email Thats what its for.. This sounds very eleteist like a buisness conference line.. or a private confessional group...Or work theropy sessions?

Hey Maron

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    Let me get this straight....You want a private talk site by invitation? A private talk club, Invitation or paid exclusive site,,,How about Email Thats what its for.. This sounds very eleteist like a buisness conference line.. or a private confessional group...Or work theropy sessions?
    You're invited

Maron Horonzakz
    Thank you I,ll leave my gun at the door,,,But I,ll keep the knife.

Hello Heather

I don't know why you deleted your post. It certainly is another option that would be fine by me.

Hello Maron

Thanks I won the bet. I knew that would come up. This is all in the lets see stage. There is no solid concensus if we are going to do this. If we did it wouldn't be exclusive where there was a selection commitee to join the country club if that's what you mean.

Rob

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    just to throw something else out there,
    I have been on forums that require so many posts
    in the regular section that can be reviewed
    (by whomever/for whatever) prior to getting into the "special"
    parts of the forum...

I think it was to show that they were
    vested someway in the site to begin with...

Good Afternoon, Everybody,

Actually, by 'Private Section' that means a section that guests and non members cant see. Any forum member would be able to join. ANY OF YOU!

The option to not be part of this section comes in where a member that doesnt like this type of talk, or flinchs at seeing images of things not totally appropriate on the regular forum.

The RULES of this section would also be different. But, also strictly enforced. You go into this section KNOWING the rules, and that means you get into vocal fist fights, your out of this section, PERIOD!

Another thing on my mind is that those of you who DONT like this type of thing, dont try to constrain the rest of the forum by saying why do we have to have this. If we were at ANY office or factory, even JBL, they talk about more than just what they make! People talk to each other about dating, buying things, who looks good, who has whatever going on in their lives, whats hot in the world, politics, crime, anything, etc!!!!!!!!! Simply put, its a place for people to socialize, and talk, about whatever is going on in their lives or the world. It does, IMHO, become fun, and maybe even a bit ' Locker Room ' at times, but, hey, WERE HUMAN TOO, and cannot be expected to talk speakers all the time. SO? If you dont want this, thats fine, but dont tell the rest of us we cant have it because you dont like it, THATS elitist thinking too!

Most importantly, a section like this acts like a pressure release valve and can actually keep the entire forum running smoothly and drama free because its a place where we can let out hair down, and BE OURSELVES, and have FUN! THIS is important to. Cause let me tell you, audio is amazing, BUT audio is WORK for me, it isnt always hobbyist, and lifting cabinets that weigh several hundreds of pounds, and reconfiguring the system is WORK, and sometimes I just want to have FUN too.

Truthfully, and I mean no one any disrespect, but I was waiting for anyone to say why do we need this? Because some of us like to just BS with each other too. Kind of like going to the tavern after work and having a beer with your buddies.

So, if you dont want this, you dont have to have it, but you'll have the option of taking it or not!

ALL members will be welcome, if they want to be in that section! In that repect, IT WONT be elitist like 'Oh Im sorry your not dressed properly, you cant come in here'!

Does this explain things? I really hope it does, because I happen to be FOR a section like this! Again, this is just ME, Scott.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by louped garouv View Post
    just to throw something else out there,
    I have been on forums that require so many posts
    in the regular section that can be reviewed
    (by whomever/for whatever) prior to getting into the "special"
    parts of the forum...

I think it was to show that they were
    vested someway in the site to begin with...

Think of the logistics of that - how many moderators would THAT kind of system need?

My personal thought is that there is a need for a real-time chatroom somewhere, tho maybe not on the main site, so folks here could go there and chat in real time (kinda like text messaging or PMs or IRC). That would allow a higher level of interactivity and could provide for a more conversational discussion between the folks who want to do so, and maybe limit some of the off topic posts in the threads in the main forums. Just a thought, but there is a different between a chatroom and the kind of individual postings board like the Forums currently have.

If folks want to chat they could have a chatroom to do so ...

+1 vote by me

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Think of the logistics of that - how many moderators would THAT kind of system need?

there are about a dozen mods on the site i am thinking of....

Maron Horonzakz
    I know another forum (audio circles) that has a LIMBO site. Where any thing not audio is thrown into....They also had a special fight club site where you could get things off your chest but was closely moderated to eliminate threats. Could get interesting..

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post

My personal thought is that there is a need for a real-time chatroom somewhere, tho maybe not on the main site, so folks here could go there and chat in real time (kinda like text messaging or PMs or IRC). That would allow a higher level of interactivity and could provide for a more conversational discussion between the folks who want to do so, and maybe limit some of the off topic posts in the threads in the main forums. Just a thought, but there is a different between a chatroom and the kind of individual postings board like the Forums currently have.

If folks want to chat they could have a chatroom to do so ...
    Well, basically isnt that what this would be? A chatroom within the the forum, one tht is not veiwable by all the guests, non-members, and people who just dont want it!

Again, I reiterate my position on this, Heather, IF you dont want to be part of that section, you dont have to be, BUT, let the folks that do, have their place to be.

Truthfully, about moderating this, WE can handle it! Believe that. And I am willing to work this room as moderator. So whats the problem, havent I always tried my best to be fair? If Im willing to do the work, whats else is neccesary to know? But, there is more than just myself here, and Im sure I would not be alone in having to take care of things. The forum has an owner, and administrators who oversee everything.

scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    I know another forum (audio circles) that has a LIMBO site. Where any thing not audio is thrown into....They also had a special fight club site where you could get things off your chest but was closely moderated to eliminate threats. Could get interesting..
    Yeah, Ive heard about that, but I dont know if I would want to take it that far, Barroom brawls will get UGLY!

I just want to enjoy myself! Not fight.
    scottyj

Thread Information