Thread: Re-edged one of the JBL control 5

JBL 4645

Smile Re-edged one of the JBL control 5

Last week as the edge foam surround finely gave up the ghost! It was messy affair doing this, I can’t say I was pleased but that’s the fact of foam surround does suck and it’s only got short expectance lifespan until it just crumbles in you’re fingertips.

So what did I use I cannibalised a 6 ½ rubber edge surround off some other JBL bass mid drivers that I brought for a few quid a few months back, I stripped the edge rubber of using a sharp knife to pile back just a small amount so I can take the outer part away from the basket.

Next I used the knife underneath the cone to pile back some rubber until I had completely removed the whole rubber intact. Now I was out of glue and while I was doing this task at around 8pm in the evening until late, it wasn’t until about 10.50pm that took a breather a short walk up the road to Sam’s food store to see if they had any glue that would be tacky enough to stick and hold together the rubber with the cone and basket.

Paper glue was all they had, would you believe that, so I brought it anything thing I’ll try anything to make this work.

So far it was sticky enough to hold but for how long and under what temperature conditions over the strength of time? I kinder aborted that type of glue and then popped over to the Co-Op and they had all purpose glue which I tried so far so good its hold but we’ll she, hold?

The mess it was make was unbelievable lucky I had a kitchen tissue to wipe the mess up as I was plodding along slowly and trying to get the rubber to stay in place at the right position needed many fingers to shape it, well I’m no octopus, but I did manage to figure out one thing.

By placing the rubber closely to near the right shape expect for one part, I placed the gasket parts down to hold it in place and then a DVD-Rom drive on top of it and left it for an hour.

Now that’s better now I can work this thing into shape with the glue, with the underneath part glued to the cone and the rubber glued down to the basket and the gaskets glued down and held down into position with some weight placed on top it.

After leaving it for an hour it was time to check the JBL bass mid driver out by hold it up to some light and looking underneath the basket with one eye closed and rotating it while looking for any stray light passing though where the rubber holds to the cone.

Yes I saw a few spots that I dealt with quickly and after checking and checking again it was ready to be fitted back into the enclosure.

I ran a few sine wave low frequency tests with the port hole plugged up to make it airtight, I played a 16Hz tone a 32Hz tone a 125Hz tone and 250Hz it was holding together. I also tested it side by side with another JBL Control 5 using the same speaker lead, via swapping the leads around and placing the SPL db meter close to JBL Control 5 it passed.

So why in the world doesn’t JBL use rubber edge surround on all there JBL Control 5 rather than edge foam surround, foam is pants.

I didn’t take as many pictures as I would have liked, I just don’t what to think about it sucked.

control 5's

I have working control 5 parts if your interested ! . No cabinets though.

Rich

JBL 4645
    richluvsound

Yeah I’m very interested how would like to do a deal.

How much and how many drivers, is that two bass mid and two HF titanium tweeters?

I have a few other JBL Control 5 enclosures that are placed between at inner centre and inner right with different drivers, so I’d be very interested very.

Gentle readers...

As inventive as this approach is, it lacks much of best practices.

If you want your transducer to achieve something close to factory specs, you should:

1. Get a factory authorized recone. If a recone kit is no longer unavailable, you should...

2. Acquire a properly fitted surround kit. "Cannibalizing" and trimming a surround off a different cone will not provide the desired performance.

3. The proper kit will contain instructions and the correct glue. "Paper glue" is not recommended.

4. You should not have to "weight down" the driver, mid repair. The proper glue remains tacky just long enough so you can position the voice coil in the gap to avoid rubbing.

5. You should run either a steady 30Hz tone (or something near it) and/or use a frequency sweep to listen carefully for any voice coil rubbing while the glue is drying. Importantly, you want to do this in free-space, without an acoustic load on the cone. That is, do this on the bench.

There is a reasonably complete compendium within the Resurround step-by-step which has been contributed to by many, and includes resources.

No offense intended or implied...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

JBL 4645
    boputnam

Oh no none taken I’ve tackled this before about 2 years ago almost now, and it was kinder easy, although I would have been a happier if I had brought a rubber re-edge surround kit, here I the UK I don’t what to wait 2 to 8 weeks for some the size and weight a few CD’s to get delivered.

I was looking around on the Ebay the other day and noticed someone is doing re-cone kits here in the UK, I’ll have to see if they have a phone number and see if they do rubber, “no edge foam surround” rubber is my friend.

I’ve seen your thread before no longer than 4 mouths ago I think, and it’s excellently detailed in visuals to show step by step how to tackle this common problem.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Oh no none taken...
    Cool...!

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    I would have been a happier if I had brought a rubber re-edge surround kit...
    Yea, that's generally the consensus.

Kudo's for the deserted island solution!

Thread Information