Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8" or 10" + 2245H for Bass Guitar?

RIP 2009

8" or 10" + 2245H for Bass Guitar?

Not for a home system, but for a portable rig for bass guitar. I've got a 2245H 18" that I'll be putting in a ported 6.15 cu.ft. cabinet, (small because I need to get it into the trunk of my car for transportation). The 2245 is currently in a larger cabinet, and I've noticed it's hard to get much in the way of clean higher bass harmonics, (600-2500hz), at least as far as dispersion goes.

So I'm thinking of adding an 8" or 10" for this upper range, in a tight , sealed "internal" enclosure. Which would likely fill my needs best? I'm thinking of a 2118H or LE8T-H for 8", or an E or K110 or other pro series 10" if that makes more sense.

I've got a Crest P3500 amp for power, and could do either active or passive crossover. The amp is 400 watts/ch stereo or 800 mono.

Any recommendations/suggestions?

BTW - my home stereo system consists of 4 Jubal L65 and 2 L150, plus other misc JBL...

John

Hey guy - the 2245H is the *wrong* choice for your app....the 2240G/H would be much better.

The foam surround types are not designed for fast transients and will suffer damage if over-driven ( very easy to do in normal tuned cabinets )

I have a single 2240G ( 4 ohm ) that is sitting in my shop - perhaps some kind of trade? I also have a K151-8 that has a cone rip repair if you're into alnico.

As far as a midrange, the JBL 8's ( 2118 / 2119 ) tend to buckle with high power - I would suggest the 2123H or newer 2012H 10" types.

I have made a number of 15 / 10 with that 10 and it screams....

sub

RIP 2009
    subwoof - I might consider trading the 2245 for the 2240 - let me dig through the specs for a while. I've had the speaker for a while, and just figured with the low FS and high Xmax, the 2245 would be capable of the strongest 40hz output, which is the most important benchmark to me. I generally rely on a compressor to prevent overdriving if playing at high volumes.

Thanks for the info on the 8" models. 'Anyone got a good 10" they'll let go for cheap?

Alex Lancaster

Smile

I would use 2 E140īs and forget about xovers.

Alex.

I'm with Alex on this, but I don't play a 5-string
    and I don't slap/pop much (on bass).

Current cab is 2x15 w/Foster horn (usually
    turned down). Tried a 5-string w/ it before
    buying and that combo sure moves a lot of
    air ... different than old Cerwin-Vega 18" cab
    I used to have, but in a good way... tighter.

Let us know how your 224x+ system ends up!

-grumpy

I really think you'd be much happier with the 2240 or K151, than the 2245, for yet another reason- the 2240 and K151 have lighter cone assembles than the 2245, and will respond to higher midbass frequencies. This will help with the "pop" you need for the bass harmonics. This, combined with say, a 2123 or 2012 10" driver, and maybe a small horn above that (anything along the line of a 2410/2420/2425 or similar stuff on a decent flare should work fine) would probably kick some serious booty, as far as being able to get a serious funk bass slap sound going on...

Of course, the idea of a pair of E140, or even better IMHO, a pair of K140s (larger X-max on the K's, IIRC, they should handle more bass output on the bottom octave) with a horn to provide the upper harmonics, can also kick butt. It's just a matter of having a driver in there, that can "move fast" enough to produce those midbass/midrange harmonics on top of the bass fundamentals...

Regards,
    Gordon.

2123 on eBay

Hey John,

Here's a used JBL 2123H on eBay for a BIN of $80. I've bought an amp from this seller and had a good experience.

Regards,

David

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=23794

RIP 2009
    Hmmm...I seemed to have missed that one...and the BIN is now gone. There are a couple other auctions going for 2123H speakers right now...(please don't outbid me... )

Thanks!
    Last edited by johnaec; 02-11-2004 at 07:18 AM.

Originally posted by johnaec
    ... I generally rely on a compressor to prevent overdriving if playing at high volumes.
    Hey, John...

A bit off topic - but do you have an outboard compressor you use for this (footswitch/pedal)? Or, is it in the "head"? I've a Behringer rack-mounted comp/limiter at the board, but would prefer to do this at the bass. Got a recommendation for me?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

RIP 2009
    I've got a compressor mounted in the equipment rack I drag around for bass. Contains amp, crossover, compressor, and EQ. Someday I may look for a head unit that has these all in one...

BTW, bo - where in northern CA are you? I'm in San Anselmo, about 15 miles north of San Francisco. I just put an offer on a house in Rohnert Park, though, so I hope to be moving soon...
    Last edited by johnaec; 02-11-2004 at 09:18 AM.

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Originally posted by johnaec
    BTW, bo - where in northern CA are you? I'm in San Anselmo, about 15 miles north of San Francisco. I just put an offer on a house in Rohnert Park, though, so I hope to be moving soon...
    Ha! I commute to marin daily, so we are not so far apart!

And on the compressor, that's what I figured, John - thanks. I think I'm gonna get the bass player to sort this out with a footpedal - afterall, fledgling rockstars are literally awash in cash, right...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Tom Loizeaux
    A quality 18 in a tuned cabinet teamed with a pair of 10s (E110s?) should sound very nice. Gauss actually made this conbination years ago as their preimere bass rig. My experience is that a quality, "hi-fi" bass cabinet rig may not be the most sucessful set-up.
    I bought an Ampeg SVT 4 Pro a while back and tried the bi-amp feature. I have a number of single 15 and double 15 cabinets fitted with JBL K140s and EV15L & 15Bs and a Gauss. Though the bi-amp mode may have "cleaned up" the sound by dividing the spectrum, I ultimatly settled on the sound of multiple 15s running full range. If I was playing jazz and was going to mic my rig, I suppose the bi-amp 18 & 10s would work great, but when playing rock and playing to fill a large room, I find the full range 15 stacks do a better job.
    Just my thoughts.

Tom

RIP 2009
    Tom - I actually have a K140 with aluminum dome and E140 reconed with paper dome, (I don't know what kit - I got it that way), that I may put in a dual 15 cab to match the cab with the 18. Right now I've just got a little 2-2.5 cu.ft. cab I alternate them in - 'pretty useless...

I'm in the process of buying a house right now to get out of the little place I'm in, and one of the things I'm looking forward to is having a garage where I can put a table saw, etc.

BTW - I used to work in Hard Truckers/Ultra Sound's cabinet shop, making equipment for the Grateful Dead, so I'm no stranger to speaker cabs...we also made most the raw cabinets for Meyer Sound Labs at that time. 'Haven't been involved for years, though - 'might say I settled down a bit...

Yeah, definitely skip using the 2245. The 2241 should be fine, or all the other choices actually sound nice. Fifteens are great; I don;t care as much for the four 10 inch cabs that have been all the rage.
    A proper 18 and a 10 would be cool. I still like an 18 for electric bass, but many good 15 inch arrangements are really just as good, it seems.

Thread Information