Thread: Mann’s Chinese theatre 380 channels

JBL 4645

Arrow Mann’s Chinese theatre 380 channels

No not 380KW to surpass the Empire but 380 channels! Or is there a brand new Dolby format that I don’t know about? The mind boggles.

Now is there any truth to this or is it some late April fools joke?

380 channel now I can believe this in digital age but not in analogue age of the past no.

So what's the deal with this and has anyone heard this at the Mann's cinema as of yet?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

JBL 4645
    I also found this of interest some JBL control 5 yes they are or where on the JBL cinema install list as surrounds many years back.

This is different site not Mann’s.

If you have an eye there is what to be appears a possible JBL 8330 thou I’d say more likely 8340 just visible in the dark shadow on the sidewall of the first post.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wave Field Synthesis (WFS):

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...90&postcount=1

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    Wave Field Synthesis (WFS):

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...90&postcount=1

So this is all connected or related in some way or another.

I’m going to steadily push forwards and complete the JBL control 1 and line the sidewalls and back wall with no gaps between, not that I have listening issue with the current x10 that are spaced out evenly that helps to create that cinema like diffused surround anywhere in the room.

The cost of arrays would cost more than fronts stage speakers, wouldn’t they?

Stage speakers
    Amplifiers
    EQ
    Possible baffle wall
    And all that the cost over hundreds of arrays for surrounds plus the amplifiers processor and EQ it boggles the mind!

I mean what type of atmosphere is it reaching out to create?
    An outdoors sense and what about indoors which doesn’t have to be silent and still, there maybe some type of activity happening in the surrounding background somewhere?

Speakers need to be placed underneath! No not sub lows but some kind of directional surround that can flip with the onscreen sound as it passes away from screen and loops from overhead surrounds to back surrounds and underneath and then pan or veer sharply towards right sidewall surrounds and then over to right front and centre!

Where at point now where sound technology can make the impossible seem possible.

If its to reach everyone that wants it, it has to be affordable. But even if it is, I doubt somehow the wife would say yes to having the living room ripped up and turned into some flight room simulator for sound. LOL

3-D as far as I remember from H.G. Wells The Time Machine no not the remake the original.

1 dimension forwards and backwards
    2 dimension up and down
    3 dimension left and right

I’m not sure in which order he mentioned it in the film, but as far as know cinema sound is still working with!

Fronts lined across the fronts Left Left-centre Centre Right-centre Right
    Surrounds in arrays spaced out along the sidewalls
    Surrounds in arrays one half of the sides in the old days thou some still practice this if the cinema doesn’t happen to have Dolby SA-10 or dts-ES decoder for centre back discrete

Surround for overhead sound! What ever happened to that! Used for one film We Were Soldiers (2002) and there are those who clam the mix isn’t intact on the split-surrounds on the DVD?

So cinema is only covering an average
    1 dimension forwards and backwards
    3 dimension left and right

It’s missing the sound that is in-between now then.
    2 dimension up and down

I don’t see Blu-ray being any bigger than it is I mean the surround channel configuration is totally messed up for the format!

All they do is add extra surround side channels WTF! is the use of that anyway?

7.1 in the cinema is Fronts lined across the fronts Left Left-centre Centre Right-centre Right and split-surrounds and subwoofer track.

Unless they can mix something and say all you need to do is reconfigure the surround layout in the home by re-plugging! I doubt many could even be asked to do that.

I would if they stopped jerking the format around and start to get a bit serious with it for once and then I might show positive interest in the format rather than bashing the format.

Thread Information