Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video projection screens on the cheep!

JBL 4645

Smile Video projection screens on the cheep!

Now I know this is the correct thread but hear me out I’m trying to save you guys a few pounds or dollars, for this DIY project but seeing JBL is used in the home cinema and what better way than with you’re JBL matching loudspeakers behind a perforated screen with lots of tiny little holes to allow the sound to pass though!

So while shopping over at the Co-Op a short while ago, I noticed one of the the refrigeration units in the store had a screen cover, covering the unit up! After close inspection I saw it was feasible for use with home cinema.

The company that supplied the unit is “Enfield refrigeration” based here in the UK. So when the day comes I can always come back to this thread for a reminder!

The size of this one was around 5 foot square although I’m guessing it had a few more feet above it.

All this needs is a good stretch and a few cans of some emulation soft white spray paint and you’re sorted.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    wouldn't the spray paint clog the screen perforations?

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by louped garouv View Post
    wouldn't the spray paint clog the screen perforations?

Good piont! Now that kinder slipped my mind! It would have to be done very “these things must be done delicately” otherwise you’d be standing up in front of it for days punching out the holes!

Look closely: projection screens are reflective.

It's kind of what they're about.

[And also part of why they're not cheap.... ]

There is a HUGE thread about DIY projector screens, surprisingly, at the AV Forums website! http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=110

I think most folks would be better served reading THEIR thread from folks who have thought about it, and done it, and then thought about it some more, and may even be on their 3rd or 4th generation version!

No offense meant - but they talk about the reflective issues Zilch mentioned (to make the most of the lumens pointed at the screen).
    Some use reflective paint on a wall, some build their own frames and screens, lots of approaches!

I read the threads there extensively before digging into HD TV and surround sound.
    Given the option of some perforated plastic wrap to paint, I'd paint the wall first.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

JBL 4645
    Or best if a cinema was closing down chances are you’d be able to lay you’re hands on cinema screen but that rarely happens. So I was just thinking out loud on this one and it doesn’t seem too bad at trying it out. So, next time when you’re strapped for cash and you’re in the supermarket, just have a look around for anything to make that project dream screen doable.

I recently bought an Epson Cinema 400 720p LCD projector and experimented with a variety of cheapo materials to use as a screen. I settled on a 4' by 8' piece of 1/4" Baltic birch plywood that happened to be on hand. Cutting a length off the end brought the size to 85.33" by 48", which maintains a 16:9 ratio. I sanded the nicest side with 320 grit paper on an orbital sander, then applied about 15 coats of very light grey flat latex house paint with a foam roller, sanding between every few coats.

The only screen I have seen so far that I like better is made by Stewart, but it costs two grand!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post
    I sanded the nicest side with 320 grit paper on an orbital sander, then applied about 15 coats of very light grey flat latex house paint with a foam roller, sanding between every few coats.
    There are a few companies that sell specialized paint for this application. Some people actually paint an area of a wall with this paint and then paint a border around it.

Widget

I use a run of the mill "Day-lite" screen in my basement threatre with my DLP projector. I was going to build a screen for some odd reason? But then in the local buy and sell a guy had the Day-lite for sale brand new in the box for $100. Retail was about $225 Seems to work!!!

If I ever run into a Stewart at a sweet price perhaps I will give it a try, But at retail it costs more than some projectors.

NEWS FLASH!

Well okay, maybe that title was overly dramatic, but I found out that Epson is now providing a $500 mail in rebate offer for their Cinema 400 projector. This brings the price of the unit on the Costco.com web site down to $899, or $400 less than I paid.

I have been extremely happy with the performance of this 720p LCD projector. Everyone who has seen it says they want one, and one friend already bought one (at the old price!). Nine hundred bucks for a huge, bright, clear, high definition picture is a steal compared to the prices for decent projectors just a year ago.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...se=&lang=en-US

The prices have come down so low on some of these projector's that any one that is serious about owning one and has the room for one can own one.

They are the biggest bang for your buck right now.

And to tell you the truth I think a lot of people that think they do not have the space???

Think again, the screen takes up no space at all and there is a lot of options when it comes to finding a spot for the actual projector. It is pretty much point and shoot with these LCD and DLP units.

The CTR based units of days gone by were a pain in the ass with focus. Once you spent a few hours or more dialing them in they could not be moved, or there goes your set-up.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post
    I recently bought an Epson Cinema 400 720p LCD projector and experimented with a variety of cheapo materials to use as a screen. I settled on a 4' by 8' piece of 1/4" Baltic birch plywood that happened to be on hand. Cutting a length off the end brought the size to 85.33" by 48", which maintains a 16:9 ratio. I sanded the nicest side with 320 grit paper on an orbital sander, then applied about 15 coats of very light grey flat latex house paint with a foam roller, sanding between every few coats.

The only screen I have seen so far that I like better is made by Stewart, but it costs two grand!
    2K wow burnt my eyes! I’d go cheep and use some ingenuity and save a few pounds or dollars.

JBL 4645
    While looking though for a thread relating to 19” racks I stumbled back onto this one. The screening that is used in shops on fringes with that transparent look.

Thou it’s a bit on the small side and would need painting and the perforations cleared of paint clogs in the holes it would be real dog’s dinners.

Get a PLASMA!

Allan.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    Get a PLASMA!

Allan.
    LOL No pun mate, I wouldn’t touch plasma for £1million pounds, and that’s no joke.

Maybe a small cheap LCD in the future as its lightweight to replace the CRT when it gives, which will be many years as its had very little use in my hands but longer use in friends hands. Its only 9 years old and the SONY was around 16 or 17 years older, now then.

Thread Information