Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Signatures

Why is the sky always falling???

My post was directed at a few who know who they are, why I did it, and that is all it applies too. It was quoted in support of the point I was trying to make with an admitedly terse post on my part, again to make a point. When I saw it had been read I deleted it. That's all there is. There are no plans to change anything other than what Don posted.

You guys are so quick to take things to extremes.

Rob

Obsolete
    Evidently Don should have made it a sticky and locked the thread.

No doubt there was an event that made it necessary for Don to step in.

I'd like to see Don pen more posts to do with the actual Lansing Heritage.

Aside from recent events they are sparse, very few and far between.

This is not a criticism, just and observation.

Is there a way to post a small paragraph or two in our profile of what gear we have or whatever folks want to say there, and then just hyperlink to that from a simple signature? That would help the folks who want to list gear avoid listing it in each and every post, yet it would still be available for those who want to look and read it.

I looked at my Profile, but was more a list of hobbies and such than what I'm speaking of ...

I know there is a way to link to a personal Homepage in the left column near the Avatar, but the few I've looked up just use that to link to their Ebay page and not a true personal site ...

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    I'd like to see Don pen more posts to do with the actual Lansing Heritage.

Aside from recent events they are sparse, very few and far between.
    I agree completely and have said as much in PM's and phone conversations.
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I know there is a way to link to a personal Homepage in the left column near the Avatar, but the few I've looked up just use that to link to their Ebay page and not a true personal site ...
    Yes, some people really need to get their own personal websites to link to. Those ebay pages don't cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    No doubt there was an event that made it necessary for Don to step in.

I would agree...I've never known Don to "jump the gun" or force his personal ideas on anything here. Dons' approach to situations has always been logical, well thought out and for a purpose( even when he chastised me )...... If he sets some limits on the Sigs then I'm sure there's a reason that has to do with the forums functioning...From what I understand he's redoing a lot with this site ......

my 2 cents

I think it would be for the best in so many ways......

Even a little to start with, then slowly.

Don's post about the Lansing Heritage of the 4311/L100 was one of the most memorable.

Ian

so weve dumped off topic,2000 or no non or infrequent posters,now were going after signatures.................i wish someone would just come out and say in plain terms what the problem is,propose the remedies,let the members have their say and carry on...........so far all we seem to be doing is walking on egg shells waiting for someone to cross some imaginary line that few know the location of, then pounce..............jeezus ...................

Obsolete
    Hello Jim,

The off-topic issue is actually still in discussion with currently more against than for. Feel free to start your own public poll with respect to it. I'm personally technically against it because I think it's out of scope and it seems to create more tension and drama than anything else, besides, it's Googled for the whole world to see and that has a whole bunch of ramifications. But I could be for it under the right circumstances, with the right set of rules. For example, can our kids visit this website? Can our spouses? Can our employees and employers? Maybe a private off-topic away from non-members and Google is in order? I personally have no problems with that idea but Don would have to ruminate on the potential pitfalls and say yes or no.

The non-posters was an effort to clear out all the spammers past, present and future (accounts created beforehand for future use). I believe there was also another reason but I can't remember right now since it isn't really an issue.

The signatures issue is exactly as Don posted in the thread starter post.

The only other issue that I can remember right now is the signal to noise ratio which includes blogging, spamming and generally overgrazing the commons, and that is being looked at.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    Hello Jim,

The off-topic issue is actually still in discussion with currently more against than for.
    That is, a handful of us along with Don, Rob, and myself have been privately weighing in on the positives and negatives of having an Off Topic area.

Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell View Post
    so weve dumped off topic,2000 or no non or infrequent posters...
    I don't understand your egg shell comment, but as for eliminating Zero Posters that was not done to penalize anyone. No infrequent posters were dropped... only those who had never posted. Any member who was deleted due to the zero poster cleanse was allow to re-register if they wanted to.

Widget

well there is no shortage of off color words in posts past,so i guess given that,we all must police our own computers from underage eyes if that is our choice........i just feel that if two or more members of this forum sat down for a brew somewhere the topics of conversation would stray from lansing related subjects..........and i think that the forum would not be lessened if it reflected that........ the forums that dont interest me i just ignore.........like diy...........i am just not doing that kind of thing any more but i would not wish it gone as there are lots of guys here who value it.sure there have been dust ups and such but thats kind of natural.............if they get out of hand the moderators step in and.........well nobody got shot..........i would rather see the odd spat,or ignore the odd thread, than have to walk on egg shells in some kind of pc nightmare,afraid to say anything lest it be lambasted for being too wordy or off topic..........

i dont know if its practical or not but i wonder if software allows for an optional self destruct of posts after a time.........the tech guys could be spared endless scouring of ot posts to find relevent info.......and i think that most would not care if posts were deleted after they are no longer topical.........

so weve dumped off topic,2000 or no non or infrequent posters,now were going after signatures.................i wish someone would just come out and say in plain terms what the problem is,propose the remedies,let the members have their say and carry on...........so far all we seem to be doing is walking on egg shells waiting for someone to cross some imaginary line that few know the location of, then pounce..............jeezus ...................
    What exactly are you worried about?? Crossing an imaginary line?? What line would that be?? Are you personally doing anything that would call for a Moderators attention?? If not what are you worried about.

I did the zero post member trimming. The reason was to shed the nearly 5000 dead memberships a full 75% of which were spam accounts. When Don came back we discussed the issue's we were having with spam and changed the Registration process and that has worked very well.

Dons post on the Signatures is self explanatory if you don't read into it. Just take it at face value.

Now something you all should know.

One of the reasons Off Topic was closed was from the snipping that carried over into the Main Forums. Some of that is still going on. I have been sending PM's to people to stop either Trolling, Baiting, Bickering, Taunting and just plain derogatory posting I have been seeing in Main Forums. This includes messages in Signatures and in the reason for deleting a post field as well. If these activities continue the posters will be suspened for an appropriate period of time determined by the Moderators. In all cases you will be warned before you are suspended and all who have recieved them already are on notice.

I really do not what to do this but I have sent several PM's and I still see it happening. If you ignore PM's from the Administrators or Moderators about this type of behavior you are leaving us no choice. If you do get a PM about this please have the courtesy to respond. If you do not respond and find yourself suspended you will have to wait till the end of the suspension if you feel it was not justfied.

It all boils down to respect for your fellow members. If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell View Post
    well there is no shortage of off color words in posts past,so i guess given that,we all must police our own computers from underage eyes if that is our choice........i just feel that if two or more members of this forum sat down for a brew somewhere
    Yes, Jim I agree, and there are forums where almost anything goes, word and picturewise! But this forum is not like that, we keep a more, " ANYBODY " can come read whats in here type of manner.

Im a member of a nightclub forum called Rythmism.com, was the old Naughtybooth.com, mostly club going kids in their 20,s and that forum runs pretty WIDE OPEN. Pretty much this was the NYC Twilo and SoundFactory sub culture board, and clubs and events, and anything sexual you can think of. We even have a carnal section, and its gets carnal in there. But, you would have to really read this forum and see some of the stuff these people talk about, and post pics of to see how really WILD it can get. Trust me, you will see and read things I KNOW you would'nt want your children to! Believe that! EVERYTHING from A to Z, and soup to nutz!

My point is that without a conduct code, if the forum is allowed to run totally wide open, it will get crazy in here. I know you've seen some of the outbreaks and forumfights in here, we dont consider that really appropriate.

scottyj

Scottyj, I don't think any of this stuff that you mention happens here nor would it.

I believe the biggest concern here is that people who are doing the flaming and such should be the ones held accountable.It is not fair to penalize all for the actions of a few.

I also think most of the animosity that was created in the OT area was from inadequate reading or down right wrong assumptions (reading something that wasn't said).

I think we are all guilty of this as sometimes we put the wrong words in a response. I have done this a few times and deleted my post only to have someone read it before I deleted and quote it in their response.Not their fault though,as they posted a minute or so before I deleted it.Sarcastic or witty responses are the problem I think,though these responses might be cute they are not helpful.

One thing that I have noticed in this thread is that all response's are minus the usual sarcasim and wittyness that usually send's a thread into MKZ (moderator kill zone)

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    Yes, Jim I agree, and there are forums where almost anything goes, word and picturewise! But this forum is not like that, we keep a more, " ANYBODY " can come read whats in here type of manner.

Im a member of a nightclub forum called Rythmism.com, was the old Naughtybooth.com, mostly club going kids in their 20,s and that forum runs pretty WIDE OPEN. Pretty much this was the NYC Twilo and SoundFactory sub culture board, and clubs and events, and anything sexual you can think of. We even have a carnal section, and its gets carnal in there. But, you would have to really read this forum and see some of the stuff these people talk about, and post pics of to see how really WILD it can get. Trust me, you will see and read things I KNOW you would'nt want your children to! Believe that! EVERYTHING from A to Z, and soup to nutz!

My point is that without a conduct code, if the forum is allowed to run totally wide open, it will get crazy in here. I know you've seen some of the outbreaks and forumfights in here, we dont consider that really appropriate.

Yes, KJ, but what I'm trying to say is that things left unchecked seem to escalate to unbelievably high levels of fire.

I've watched topics go off topic, and turn to war, ive watched topics with some mature content piss some members off, Ive watched complete breakdowns on some peoples parts at times. AND, no matter how many times it has been said to calm things down to a dull roar, it continues, and as Rob said, usually the same people all over again, sometimes new people get drawn into the flames too! About what I said in the post you quoted? YES that type of stuff DOES happen, and it has in here, then, it was moderated because of complaints from one person or another. Bar room talk will occur if we let it. NOT everyone was OK with it! For the record, I was, but, as a moderator, I have to respect everyones wishes and feelings, not just my own.

OTOH, you still have the same things we have always had, just with some limits imposed on them, thats all. So we cant have full page sized avatars or signatures!

Do you have any suggestions to offer? We DO listen, and we DO take into account what you guys are saying. But, what to do when it isnt working? And the same BS keeps going on and on and on......................
    scottyj

Thread Information