Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rack Systems

JBL 4645
    While I was watching Congo on region 2 DVD, I was thinking about the volume level changes that I’ve made this afternoon. Now I don’t mind if I had a friend looking at the sound system, what I do mind is when the volume levels have been changed!

So a security panel will be needed o prevent little fingers tampering with the Alesis amplifiers, as well as accidentally knocking them myself!

So a piece of simple MDF with supports placed behind it to prevent it from buckling in the middle of the faceplate.

I’ll get the MDF cut to size with a hole placed in the middle to show the barograph power level display and to get access to the power ON and OFF switch.

This would be of course a later project once all the racks are in place, the plane will be made removable for any changes to the Alesis amplifiers if needed.

I remember seeing this feature on the JBL Urei 6290 THX amplifiers at the EMPIRE, except the volume control was fitted with a tamper proof plate that prevented any changes to the volume settings at the EMPIRE.

Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell View Post
    i guess its the specialized nature of the gear.........they have audio swap meets?
    Electronics swap meets. It wouldn't surprise me if some one some where there is an audio swap meet but I'll confess to not being aware of one. I've seen lots of audio gear at swap meets put on both by computer geeks and ham clubs and while the pickins may be thin the chances that what you find might be at a price you want to pay is probably better. I find if you're looking for a deal on something desirable early is better because a dealer will snatch something that's cheap enough and desirable enough to just flip but if you want some junk or something that's just not everybody's cup of tea and it's big it will be cheap late.

JBL 4645
    Well looks like I’m going to hath to delay the rack system for a few more weeks, no matter I will settle on the Samson rack, its just I didn’t realize my direct debit card account was slightly overdrawn and thou I have just managed to get it within a few pounds near credit its going to hath to wait until late next month. Also I was thinking about finishing the amplifier array off first and then buy the a few racks and rack this all up in one go.

So there it is.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Well looks like I’m going to hath to delay the rack system for a few more weeks, no matter I will settle on the Samson rack, its just I didn’t realize my direct debit card account was slightly overdrawn and thou I have just managed to get it within a few pounds near credit its going to hath to wait until late next month. Also I was thinking about finishing the amplifier array off first and then buy the a few racks and rack this all up in one go.

So there it is.
    No way to find a spare or used rack in some kind of ham radio jumble?
    They do use that kind of thing for their gear - and a nice can of shiny black paint could make it like new again ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I only needed to house 8 componets and everything in the house is oak, so,

solid oak cabinet , $20 @ GW....the wire mess is speaker leads for testing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

JBL 4645
    Looks nice but I prefer the tight fit of the new audio equipment as it really needs that finish touch and no way am I’m going down to the radio Ham shop at Christchurch to see if they have second hand rack. I’m patient and I’ll just hath to wait a little bit longer.

Talking about Ham radio I had a Cobra 148 GTL-DX with a double high band that embalmed me to transmit illegally on the 28MHz band this going back many years now around 1983. I could hear this guy in Southampton, talking to someone down in the Falklands islands, thou I couldn’t hear the guy that was half way around the world he could hear me and this really pissed off the guy at Southampton.

That’s the furthest distance I’ve got with a mere 200watts and ¾ wave antenna, I think it was High Gain CLR 2. When the guy told me to piss off the 28MHz band I just started to key out his contact with some music. Well that’s what you get when you don’t share sodden Ham band users.

Looks nice but I prefer the tight fit of the new audio equipment as it really needs that finish touch and no way am I’m going down to the radio Ham shop at Christchurch to see if they have second hand rack. I’m patient and I’ll just hath to wait a little bit longer.
    i guess you could always build a cabinet the right size and screw in your own rack rails.........the unthreaded type with the little clips can be had from the phone company here for under 25 bux.mine is done that way and has worked well for over 23 years..........the rack mount shelving costs about 45 dollars for a 2 space unit and the vented blanks about 20.........

Seawolf -

Nice cabinet and equipment, but why the need for an equalizer? What is all that stuff in the cabinet?

Nice find!

-Storm.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    an equalizer channel (or a few) can come in handy Storm, that's why....

http://www.electronics-manufacturers...equalizer.html

...Graphic equalizers comprise a useful audio processing device, often allowing a listener to compensate for differences in taste or acoustic surroundings as appropriate....

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell View Post
    i guess you could always build a cabinet the right size and screw in your own rack rails.........the unthreaded type with the little clips can be had from the phone company here for under 25 bux.mine is done that way and has worked well for over 23 years..........the rack mount shelving costs about 45 dollars for a 2 space unit and the vented blanks about 20.........
    Yes I know you can buy the parts at a fraction of the cost and just buy some MDF at a fraction of the cost and build some customized rack stands I’m all for that, but it’s the sound of the tapping on the side of it, arr, its made of steel.

These are wonderfully suggestions and even thou this project is still been done on the affordable price level, several pro racks at around £74.99p isn’t too bad.

I see real rumble in the jungle amplifier in that rack of his.

As far as I can tell from the makes and the lighting angle, from the top it looks like a

SONY Mididisc
    Yamaha pre-amp?
    Cambridge Audio?
    EQ name I can see?
    Denon CD player?
    NAD per-amp?
    SONY CD player?
    And the amplifier that was used in Universals Earthquake theme ride?

As far as I can tell from the makes and the lighting angle, from the top it looks like a

SONY Mididisc
    Yamaha pre-amp?
    Cambridge Audio?
    EQ name I can see?
    Denon CD player?
    NAD per-amp?
    SONY CD player?
    And the amplifier that was used in Universals Earthquake theme ride?
    not bad, tho you missed the speakers

SONY Mididisc yes
    Yamaha pre-amp? yes
    Cambridge Audio? nu reality srs - pretty rare, I wudnt expect you to get that one.
    EQ name I can see? adc eq
    Denon CD player? carver cd
    NAD per-amp? nad receiver
    SONY CD player? sony ES 5 disk cd
    And the amplifier that was used in Universals Earthquake theme yes

JBL 4645
    ^^^^LOL, well I wasn’t far off, I say lets all take a bad picture with poor light on the equipment systems and guess what name you think it is?

Whoops Oh the OHM’s!

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    but why the need for an equalizer?
    -Storm.
    YOU CAN SEE THE SLIDERS ON THE eq ARE NOT lit, so not in use. as LG noted, an eq can be invaluable in adjusting for room anomalies. They are pretty cheap used, maybe not a bad experiment....

I have one EQ that I've been meaning to dig out that has electronic virtual sliders. The cool thing about it is that it has 6 profile memories. XM and FM need a certain boost since they are compressed, the Carver CD is a little bassey, so its profile reduces bass, the minidisk needs some boost ...etc. Different profile for each.

JBL 4645
    Well I learnt that lesson and as soon as I get around to racking up some 1/3 octave EQ with 31 bands to get this baby really cooking I’ll be more than pleased.

As far as I can tell from the makes and the lighting angle, from the top it looks like a ride?
    you missed the Roady2 XM receiver in front of the light...can read "Rolling Stones" in the display if you look hard.

Thread Information