Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finders Keepers! "AIWA"

JBL 4645

Talking Finders Keepers! "AIWA"

Well I was making a routine dustbin drop and discover in the dark dumped outside on top of a trailer a what a appeared to be two loudspeakers, I noticed with the brief light from the alleyway one of the bass mid drivers was damaged, but still was better than treasure hunting in fact it was like ”treasure hunting” finders keepers!

It’s an AWIA mini system so what I’ll do is check it over and see if I cam make a minor repair to the one of the bass mid drivers, luckily the edge rubber surround is intact so I might just be able to bend the plastic cone back into shape and seal the slit with some silicon rubber.

I must say this neighbourhood is strange just about anyone will throw out anything today. I only hope the next person dumps some JBL loudspeakers out side intact!

So basically I’m taking in stray Hi-Fi systems now and if I keep this up I won’t have room to swing a cat around!

JBL 4645
    Well I’m starting off with a minor repair to one of the mid bass drivers. Noted inside it’s a first order crossover. Driver is 5.5Ω wattage is unknown? But it can’t be anything more than 60 or 80 watts?

JBL 4645
    Well the CD player turned ON LOL and there’s a CD inside called “Soothsayers”? WTF! Well I’ll hook up the audio leads and see if it does in fact works.

JBL 4645
    LOL well it plays, I’ve got the RCA phones connected to the twin stereo outputs and Madonna playing it!

Its got a slight jitter if you tap the unit but hay I’m not complaining when someone damps partly an entire midi Hi-Fi out to be taken away by the dustmen first thing in the morning or worse the rain getting at it.

I’ll see if the tuner works later tape deck and amplifier as well, as I’m not starting to run out of plug sockets!

Note: it also has an optical digital output has well. How’s that for being born under an unlucky star!

Whoops I think I just heard it skip on track 3 Madonna Immaculate Collection yes its it got few problems to look into.

JBL 4645
    Well it’s almost finished and not bad for bit of superglue and silicon rubber.

JBL 4645
    Well I’ve plugged it into a spare EQ and set the EQ levels from 160Hz 400Hz 1Khz 2.5Hz 6.3 16Khz to -12db and left 62Hz at 0db. Also set the input on the spear tape mode input to -6db so now it sounds like a non-sync CD player kinder like selecting the cinema’s Dolby CP-65 non-sync mode at UCI or the Dolby CP-500 at Warner village cinemas.

I think it’s my CD disc that is skipping on this rather sensitive CD has it only does it on a few tracks and it doesn’t do it on the Pioneer DV-525 or the other DVD players.

Also on of my one of my EQ has a dry joint on the PCB on one of the RCA phone outputs so I’ll solder that up later in the day. I mean its playing ok now but if I should move the RCA or joggle it around it would produce a hum! Hence its got a dry joint that I noted a few months back, but I didn’t have a soldering iron handy at the time, so now is the perfect opportunity to fix that small problem.

Note: this the EQ that I have passed the RCA phone outputs from the AIWA CD midi deck upto, and then passed it outputs to the tape line input, and now I can set the fader at near 0db at the moment its at -8db on the fader. Also it sounds smooth and soft if I was to by-pass the EQ and set the internal input to 0db it would be blaring!

Also it sucks when the CD is playing loud! Before playing a film it sets the wrong tone and atmosphere film soundtracks rule OK!

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Ok - you have hit a new low ... posting your fixes to AIWA gear with superglue & window caulking -
    I mean, its a nice find for you - but this isn't even close to "Lansing Related Gear" for gosh sakes ... its just some cheap kit from the trash.

Really Ashley - there are other places for this kind of thing ...
    You should start your own Blog for that ...

Try livejournal - http://www.livejournal.com/
    They host your pages and everything -
    the basic package is free, and even the fancy deluxe package isn't very much!
    LOL, Sorry Heather, I couldn’t resist. Well I doubt I might keep it might sale it in the free adds newspaper for a quick sale, or give it to a friend for free, hay do you what it!

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by JBLRaiser View Post
    'Trash that I treasure'
    Are you kidding, if it works why knock it!

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    I agree.

What is this guy on???

Wowza!

-Storm

ROTFLMAO I think it was superglue and silicon rubber!?

that kind of stuff is probably ok for background music while working in the garage but i wouldn't spend a lot of time on it.they turn up at yard sales for twenty bucks all day long.............

Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell View Post
    they turn up at yard sales for twenty bucks all day long.............
    And people actually pay $20 for them???

JBL 4645

Being fair and square with my findings!

Well looks like these AIWA SX-N7 three-way with first order passive crossover, stood up to the Apollo 13 dts THX laserdisc without breaking up! There bass response varied differently over the JBL Control 5.

So how did the damaged AIWA SX-N7 handle after my quick fix it solution with superglue and silicon rubber! Did it hold up to chapter 12 yes it did and it produced a nice tympani when the camera pans over towards the mighty Saturn V and tilts upwards there a nice boom located in this direction that peaked at 87dbC in the 62Hz region.

That was good enough for me and I was satisfied I managed to fix the bass mid driver with a bit sweat and practice and nimble fingers. It would be rather hard to find a new driver for it from the manufacture, or replacing each enclosure with newer bass mid drivers that would fit in easily.

Test tones sine wave A&B test was conducted as well.

JBL Control 5
    32Hz 60.05dbC
    62Hz 79dbC
    125Hz 88dbC

AIWA NX-N7
    32Hz 56dbC
    62Hz 79dbC
    125Hz 73dbC

So there it is the JBL Control 5 win with a lower frequency response, it would have sound better if I could place the active crossover DCX2496 on the AWIA NX-S7, but that would be too nice.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BMWCCA
    Step-by-step re-foaming of a Bose 901? One speaker at a time?

We do that here???

oh, THE HORROR

Uhhh...yup...sher do!

Dose nott effect preformence!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

JBL 4645
    One more thing, who ever dumped these in the early evening of yesterday was very careful or sympathetic and kind?

If this was my dad they’ll end down Kingson tip yard on the heap!

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Step-by-step re-foaming of a Bose 901? One speaker at a time?

LOL if it was BOSE I would have left if for the vultures!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Some might even re-read their own epic contributions through the eyes of others and also see the humor in those exercises.
    Too hard.

Naw, I use the index, therewith bypassing the humor....

Thread Information