Thread: What JBL horndriver and horn for home audio?

What JBL horndriver and horn for home audio?

Hello.
    Got a pair of refoamed white LE14A and mybe soon two sets of 2226HPL. Then i got a Lyngdorf digital amp TDA2200 with almost every thing you need for making a perfect two way. Dig two way xo at any Hz and up to 48db slopes and a lot of eq and time delay for matching HP-LP. The TDA has an 200W amp built in to use either for HP or LP and i have some other amps to use for the other LP/HP. Dig and tubed.
    Now, what driver and horn is the best suited for home use two way? I`we been told that the 1,75" 2425-6 is better than the bigger 4" brothers for home use. There could be an issue to use the 077 with passive xo for the wery top end. A kind of DIY 1400 array....?

Other fun:
    I am now playing a pair of 240ti and its a wery good match with the wery clean Lyngdorf TDA2200. It makes a little laid back, but remarkable big rocksteady beefy and spacious sound. Not the first things i was expecting from a JBL. I had to take away some energy in the 200Hz region but it might be my room. Its really fun to play with these 240ti`s as they really likes to go loud with no effort. And the LE14-1 really is fun. I think my house will go down before the LE14 gives up!

Regards BHGA

Hello BHGA

With a 1" driver there are a couple schools of thought. The more traditional Altec 511/811 crowd, the more modern Constant directivity horns like the 2344 and finally the newer waveguides used with either an adapter or one of the 1.5" drivers. You can also go the Tractrix horn path as well. You can get crowd pleasing result from all you just have to work at it and decide what route you want to take. I would try to listen to as many horns as you can and do at least some research before you decide. You can always try several and sell off what you don't want.

Don't sell the large format drivers short especially if there will be a tweeter in the mix. Some of the newer drivers do quite well above 10KHZ

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Hello BHGA

Some of the newer drivers do quite well above 10KHZ

Rob
    Such as?

Will a 2420 driver with a new titanium dia perform as a 2425?
    What is the audible difference 2420-2425-2426?
    Will the older 2420-2425 with new titanium dia perform as the 2426?

Regards BA

Such as?
    A 2452 as an example. Try doing a search for any of the 2450 series drivers.

Will a 2420 driver with a new titanium dia perform as a 2425?
    As long as the 2420 is in good shape it should work well. Again do a search there should be some measurements on the site with 2425 diaphrams installed in 2420 cores.

What is the audible difference 2420-2425-2426?
    That's a good question but I think it is more about what diaphram you have installed and the horn and crossover point than the actual core used. Of all 3 cores the 2426 is the most versatile becasue you can use the thread on horns available as well as the standard 3 hole mount without an adaptor.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Thread Information