Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: jbl l200? 300's

radioactive

jbl l200? 300's

a friend of mine recently purchased what he thought were a pr of jbl l300's.i was out at his place last weekend and snapped off a few pics.when i got home i looked them up on the lansing heritage site and it turns out the cabinets are really the 200b.although the 200's are a 2 way system.it looks as if someone updated these by adding the tweeter and changing the crossover network to the back (it's now a jbl lx300)
    after telling him what he had he questioned the seller and was told that there was a factory upgrade that you could do to them to make them l300's and thats what was done to his.is this true?
    i really doubt it as the l200's have 2 ports and the l300 has only1.
    check out the pics and let me know what you think.
    also can anyone provide me any info on the lx300 crossover?
    chris
    Attached Images Attached Images  

This system is problematic and is not the functional equivalent of the L300. The starting point was an L200A and not an L200B. The "A" version used an LE15B woofer vs the 136A of the L200B and L300. The LX300 is the correct cross-over for the L300, but it was never designed to work with the LE15B. That woofer has a substantially different response and sensitivity. The fact that the woofer is an LE15B is confirmed by the pleated surround seen in the picture vs the half roll foam surround used on the 136A.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Hey, Radioactive...

Here's the tech sheet on the L200 family...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

...and that for the L300 family. So you can see the component matching that JBL designed and intended.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

radioactive
    thanks all for the help so far ill have to pass this info onto my friend.
    i still havnt heard anything about the upgrades i was told about.i dont see how it would have been possible to upgrade by just changing drivers crossovers etc.. when theres the extra port on the 200a.any thoughts on this
    chris

It isn't possible to fully "upgrade" the L200 to an L300. Yes you can change the woofer, the tuning (number and length of ports), add the super tweeter, and change the crossover, but unfortunately you can't fit the longer HL92 horn in the L200 cabinet.

Currently the tuning is correct for the LE15B woofer that is shown in the photos, if you change the woofer you will need to change the ports. You will either need to lengthen both of them, or do as JBL did and plug one. Ideally you would adjust it's length to give the driver it's proper tuning. As Don pointed out the LE15B woofer is not a proper match for the new crossover either.

radioactive
    youve all been pretty helpful and ive got it all in perspective now.ill pass the info onto my friend.regards,
    chris

Originally posted by radioactive
    "pretty helpful"...
    ???
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

radioactive
    boputnam ,
    im not sure what your trying to say but the info that was provided was helpful in determining that the speakers were upgraded to a certain point and that its not possible to fit the hl92 horn into the l200 cabinet.that the le15b is the wrong match for the lx300 crossover network etc.....as far as unhappy theyre not my speakers so i cant comment on that .my friend seems to be pleased with them the way they are but did mention that the bass seems to be lacking.possibly the crossover? ive only heard them briefly so i cant give a detailed description on the sound perhaps next weekend when i go out to his place ill be able to give them a good listen. my friend doesnt have a computer so if he has any questions ill be sure to post them here.
    chris

Alex Lancaster

Smile

Don:

According to my old spec sheet, the LE15, 2215A or B, used a half roll suspension like the 136, also the ferrite Hīs, so in this case He has possibly a 2205 or a bastard recone job; if the owner is happy, well....

Alex.

Obsolete
    The LE15B and 2216 used the C8RLE15B assembly.
    The LE15A, 2215, and 2215B used the C16R2215 assembly with half roll surround.
    The LE15H, 2215H used the C8RLE15H assembly with half roll surround.
    The 2215A used the C8R2215 assembly with half roll surround.

The 4320 used the 2215B and the 4325 used the 2216 - here's a pic of the 4320 and 4325
    http://www.audioheritage.org/images/...d-monitors.jpg

Damn I love our Library!
    You had me going there for a bit Alex

Alex Lancaster

Wink

That teaches me to never ass-u-me; I hate LE15īs and 2215īs anyway; Wouldnīt the top "shelf" affect the 2405?

Thanks, Alex.

Obsolete
    "I hate LE15īs and 2215īs anyway"

Those enclosures were a product of the times
    I'm not a huge fan of them either.

radioactive
    i guess the only way to find out what he has for the 15' is to pop it out and check.ill be going out to his place this weekend and will check the speakers out more thouroghly and find out what is exactly in the cabinets.ill report back then with my findings.
    chris

I don't think there is any question that it is an LE15B. That was the woofer used in the original L200 and it looks identical to that in your picture. You can see it in cross-section here:

http://lansingheritage.org/images/jb...sight/In12.jpg

If you compare the surround and cone, you will see it is identical to that on your friend's system.

The LE15B is a rare animal that was only in production for 3 years. It uses the same chasis as the LE15A, only with a lighter cone and underdamped suspension. The story of its development and subsequent discontinuance is told here:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...=4325#post5964
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Thread Information