Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lansing-related Patent Parade

Lansing-related Patent Parade

Ever wondered about the evolution of magnet structures for loudspeakers? How about diaphragm production techniques?

Got an original idea you'd like to retire on and want to ensure no one has beat you to it?

Wanna step into a time machine of technology?

Been posting too much nonsense, and need something different to do?

If you answered Yes to any of that rot, you may qualify as a patent surfer.

Some of you have been doing this for some time. You can share your favorite "finds" here.

For newbs, I've collected some info here to help you get started. Other tips and hints are welcomed. I've not yet ventured into International waters, so what I'm posting (may be) limited to US patents.

Just about when you think you've had a wazoo-full of "prior art" and never-ending drawing descriptions, you'll come across something so hilariously ridiculous you'll just have to look at more.

Let's try to stay on Lansing-related products, unless the dialog warrants something else appropriate. I'll start with a list of Altec patents I've found so far. Should be pretty easy to assemble a complete listing of Lansing Heritage product patents in a short time.

I hope this thread becomes something of merit and useful to those interested in such things. If that should be the case, I reserve the right (and accept the responsibility) for creating an organized, condensed version for the Lansing Heritage record. (if desired)

Keep it between the ditches!

United States Patent and Trademark Office

Straight from the horses mouth. Also the hard way to do it. Searching patents here requires dedication. Read for reference, but skip down to "Google" for daily use.

It's all here. 1976 to current patents are text-searchable. Drawings and text on drawing pages are saved as images.

For pre-1976 patents, scanned originals are stored entirely as images, thus searching is limited to info in the filename, namely, the patent number, the patent date, or the "Current US Classification".

90% of the stuff in which we're interested, is in "Current US Classification" 181/xxx, (Acoustics), with the x's representing one of the many subclasses (or a wildcard). To be thorough, pull up everything in the subclass of interest, and weed 'em out. Surprisingly, some subclasses have only a few entries.

" USPTO's full-page images, nearly four terabytes overall, are stored and delivered at full 300 dots per inch (d.p.i.) resolution in an image file format called "TIFF," using CCITT Group 4 compression. This is the format which is required by the international standards to which all patent offices must conform. TIFF is also the most used lossless image format in the world.

"Unfortunately, due to the volume of the image data, available funding, and other technical considerations, PTO cannot convert these images to a format more popular on the Web either permanently or by converting on-the-fly as they are delivered."

"As a result, you must install and use a browser plug-in -- similar to those required to access Adobe® PDF files, RealPlayer®, or Macromedia Flash® files -- on your workstation in order to view these files directly. An alternative method is to use third-party software or services to view these images either directly or after conversion to another format, such as Adobe® PDF. "

"The plug-in you use cannot be just any TIFF image plug-in. It must be able to specifically display TIFF files using ITU T.6 or CCITT Group 4 (G4) compression."

"The only free, unlimited time TIFF plug-ins offering full-size, unimpeded patent viewing and printing unimpeded by any advertising on Windows® x86 PCs of which we are aware are:
    1. AlternaTIFF: http://www.alternatiff.com/ (tested: IE, Netscape, Opera)
    2. interneTIFF: http://www.internetiff.com/ (tested: IE, Netscape)
    For the Apple Macintosh®, Apple's freely distributed QuickTime version 4.1 or later works with our images for pre-Safari Macintosh, but does not provide direct printing capability. Please visit http://www.apple.com/software/ and type "patent" to locate plug-ins for recent versions of Macintosh browsers "

"For Linux®, a plug-in called "Plugger" works nicely with Netscape Communicator®. It is available at http://fredrik.hubbe.net/plugger.html""

On my PC, AlternaTiff blows QuickTime away. YMMV.

Googling patents.
    Surfing as it should be!

"Google Patent Search covers the entire collection of patents made available by the USPTO—from patents issued in the 1790s through those issued in the middle of 2006. We don’t currently include patent applications, international patents, or U.S. patents issued over the last few months, but we look forward to expanding our coverage in the future."

." Using the same technology that powers Google Book Search, Google has converted the entire image database of U.S. patents into a format that’s easy to search. You can search the full text of U.S. patents from the Google Patent Search homepage , or visit the Advanced Patent Search page to search by criteria like patent number, inventor, and filing date".

Things get fun here. Search by inventor, assignee, keywords, whatever. Google's OCR engine is awesome, but sometimes fumbles, like on "Loudspeaker with Expanding Hoen" Altec's '51 Duplex patent. Still pretty darn good considering some of the paper documents were 200+ years old when they were scanned!

TIPS

Lots of new leads appear in the "References cited". Also the reason for occasional multiple hits, which can become an indicator on its' own, as commonly-cited patents become so for a reason.

Patents beginning with "D" are design patents, drawings or images of specific ornamental appearance.

Narrow your search by a date range, either by filed date, or by issue date (often 2-4 years apart). I consider the filing date of more significance for obvious reasons.

After reading a few, you'll get a feel for the lingo which will aid in searching. For instance, "acoustical transformer" may get more hits from the old days than "phase plug", which is a more modern term. Trade names (i.e. Duplex or VOTT) seldom appear in patent text unless specically named as an integral part of the patent.

Following is a list of Altec Lansing patents (not including Altec Lansing Technologies or University Sound). I believe it to be complete, but please add any more you find.

LOUD-SPEAKER WITH EXPANDING HORN
    Patent number: 2568883 Filed: Mar 24, 1947

COMBINED MICROPHONE AND STAND UNIT
    Patent number: D157724 Filed: Apr 25, 1949

SHIELDED CONDENSER MICROPHONE
    Patent number: 2579162 Filed: Feb 24, 1950

SHIELDED CABLE SYSTEM FOR MICROPHONES AND THE LIKE
    Patent number: 2716187 Filed: Feb 24, 1950

COMBINED MICROPHONE AND SUPPORT UNIT
    Patent number: D161891 Filed: Jun 19, 1950

CONTROL SYSTEM
    Patent number: 2802116 Filed: Sep 13, 1954

REMOTE SOUND SYSTEM MONITOR CIRCUIT
    Patent number: 3161731 Filed: Oct 16, 1962

HORN-LOADED LOUDSPEAKER
    Patent number: 3432002 Filed: May 1, 1967

VOLTAGE-HOLDING CIRCUIT AND METHOD
    Patent number: 3579129 Filed: Apr 25, 1969

SPEAKER DEVICE FOR SOUND REPRODUCTION IN LIQUID MEDIUM
    Patent number: 3670299 Filed: Mar 25, 1970

PROTECTED POWER SUPPLY
    Patent number: 3670232 Filed: Nov 9, 1970

ELECTRICAL ADJUSTMENT OF TIME- CONSTANT APPARATUS
    Patent number: 3660690 Filed: Nov 9, 1970

DIRECTIONAL LOUDSPEAKER SYSTEM
    Patent number: 3722616 Filed: Dec 14, 1970

HERMETIC TRANSFORMER
    Patent number: 3670276 Filed: Feb 11, 1971

METHOD OF SOUND TRANSDUCER CONSTRUCTION
    Patent number: 3792526 Filed: Apr 21, 1971

CONDENSER MICROPHONE PREAMPLIFIER
    Patent number: 3913024 Filed: Aug 14, 1974

Heat dissipating device for loudspeaker voice coil
    Patent number: 3991286 Filed Jun 2, 1975

Method for aligning loudspeaker diaphragm and voice coil assembly
    Patent number: 3967367 Filed: Oct 14, 1975

Protective circuit utilizing multilevel power supply output
    Patent number: 3987342 Filed: Nov 24, 1975

Continued

Continued

Loudspeaker
    Patent number: D248647 Filed: Apr 14, 1976

Loudspeaker
    Patent number: D250586 Filed: Apr 15, 1976

Acoustical transformer for horn-type loudspeaker
    Patent number: 4050541 Filed: Apr 21, 1976

Loudspeaker
    Patent number: D249941 Filed: Sep 17, 1976

Acoustical transformer for coupling sound waves from the diaphragm to the throat of a horn
    Patent number: D249509 Filed: Sep 23, 1976

Parallel power amplifier circuits
    Patent number: 4081757 Filed: Nov 19, 1976

Electronic filter circuit
    Patent number: 4078215 Filed: Nov 26, 1976

Modular printed circuit board assembly having cooling means incorporated therein
    Patent number: 4122508 Filed: Sep 6, 1977

Two-section exponential acoustical horn
    Patent number: 4176731 Filed: Nov 21, 1977

Method and apparatus for testing and evaluating loudspeaker performance
    Patent number: 4130023 Filed: Dec 27, 1977

Adjustably positioned phasing plug
    Patent number: 4180710 Filed: Aug 24, 1978

Input decoupling circuit for transistor differential amplifier
    Patent number: 4180780 Filed: Oct 2, 1978

Loudspeaker horn
    Patent number: 4187926 Filed: Dec 8, 1978

Loudspeaker overload protection circuit
    Patent number: 4296278 Filed: Jan 5, 1979

Acoustical transformer for compression-type loudspeaker with an annular diaphragm
    Patent number: 4325456 Filed: Oct 10, 1980

Network for use with piezoceramic transducer
    Patent number: 4481663 Filed: May 16, 1983

Power amplifier with current limiting means
    Patent number: 5029299 Filed: May 9, 1990

JBL patents (prelim)

Here’s a list of LMCo / JBL / Lansing Sound product patents (doesn’t include Harman International). The first 2 are somewhat problematic, as they are issued to the inventors, and not assigned to JBL. The first is Blackburn’s radial phase plug, and the second is Richard Ranger’s Paragon. Nevertheless, they were Lansing products, so I included them. There may be others like this, I saw another Ranger patent for a theater system, but passed it by, not knowing.

If you have an item with a patent label, please add those numbers too, if they aren’t yet listed.

LOUDSPEAKER
    Patent number: 2183528
    Filing date: Aug 14, 1937

STEREOPHONIC SOUND DISTRIBUTOR
    Patent number: 3065816
    Filing date: Mar 10, 1958

Loudspeaker assembly
    Patent number: D247490
    Filing date: Dec 15, 1975

Electrical connector
    Patent number: 4039243
    Filing date: Sep 7, 1976

Diaphragm suspension construction
    Patent number: 4324312
    Filing date: Oct 1, 1979

Loudspeaker magnet housing
    Patent number: D266420
    Filing date: Oct 9, 1979

Loudspeaker horn
    Patent number: 4308932
    Filing date: May 6, 1980

Loudspeaker magnet housing
    Patent number: D267644
    Filing date: Aug 3, 1981

Defined coverage loudspeaker horn
    Patent number: 4580655
    Filing date: Oct 5, 1983

Acoustic diaphragm
    Patent number: 4655316
    Filing date: Mar 13, 1985

Speaker mounting assembly
    Patent number: 5143339
    Filing date: Mar 1, 1991

Phasing plug for compression driver
    Patent number: 5117462
    Filing date: Mar 20, 1991

Arrangement to correct the linear and nonlinear transfer behavior or electro-acoustical transducers
    Patent number: 5438625
    Filing date: Apr 9, 1992

Temperature/environment-resistant transducer suspension
    Patent number: 5455396
    Filing date: Oct 21, 1994

Low TCR wire in high power audio coils
    Patent number: 5664023
    Filing date: Nov 14, 1994

Loudspeaker thermal management structure
    Patent number: 5533132
    Filing date: Jan 23, 1995

Front-locking swivel ball loudspeaker mount
    Patent number: 5704578
    Filing date: Nov 3, 1995

Loudspeaker enclosure
    Patent number: D394263
    Filing date: Mar 14, 1997

Inductive braking in a dual coil speaker driver unit
    Patent number: 5828767
    Filing date: Sep 22, 1997

Vehicle sound system
    Patent number: 6990208
    Filing date: Mar 8, 2000

What a great idea

Thanks for putting this together. I wonder if we can add the ones referenced in the 60th Anniversary Book. Do you think they are available??

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    ...I wonder if we can add the ones referenced in the 60th Anniversary Book. Do you think they are available??

Rob
    It's all available Rob, just may take us a little time to round up the strays. Having not seen the book yet , just check them against the list, and add whatever you can for those not listed (anybody).

Being less familiar with JBL products, I’m gonna need help here. I used the same methods in finding them, and got all there was, but have no idea how many if any are missing. Perhaps someone good with recent products could enter Harman in the assignee search slot, and sort out what should be included from those results.

University had a few neat patents as well, and of course there are some WE and Bell patents that ended up in LH production. Let's have some input on feelings for yea/nay on including them and others of related nature. Might be better to gather all maybes and sort it out later.

Time to hear from the masses, my typin' finger's sore!

(Move over, Silver Surfer!)

POP QUIZ

Q What single piece of technology is shared by our preferred loudspeakers nearly across the board, and used from the earliest till today?

Put your pencils down.

If you wrote edgewound, or 'an indeterminant variant thereof', advance three spaces.

I made a brief pass at the origin of the edgewound coil (implies flat wire). For voice coils specifically, you've gotta read a lot of them to find that one, which I've not yet pinned down. In the meantime, I made note of one that dates the technology to '25 so far;

METHOD AND APPARATUS FOR MAKING EDGEWOUND COILS
    Patent number: 1630912
    Filing date: Dec 11, 1925
    Issue date: May 31, 1927
    Inventor: GEORGE H. WHITTINGHAM
    Assignee: MONITOR CONTROLLER COMPANY

OK, so it's for rheostat coils...

GMC had a similar machine in '25, only it made bearings (bush type).

Flat wire in general before 1930 musta been a big thing, based on the hits. Lots of resistance heaters. The kind you plugged in for heat before there were plugins...
    ...or stared at on long, cold winter nights while pondering inventions...

pocketchange

FWIW: Someone is playing with the wheel again!

In Australia just patented (looks like it anyway) the throat design for the 2380A horn which has been around for how long, 10 or so years? No fooling, #7044265

Quote Originally Posted by pocketchange View Post
    In Australia just patented (looks like it anyway) the throat design for the 2380A horn which has been around for how long, 10 or so years? No fooling, #7044265
    FYI - prior art?
    D.B.Keele (Electro Voice):
    http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT4071112
    (Fig.5)

Then I found this:
    Inventors: John D. Meyer, Alejandro Antonio Garcia Rubio
    Assignee: Meyer Sound Laboratories Incorporated

PS:
    Just got in mind this:
    Wheel patented in Australia
    "The innovation patent is designed to provide a quick, easy and cheap alternative to a traditional patent for small businesses. It replaces the petty patent in Australia and is even easier to process. Applications for innovation patents can even be made online."
    Australian Application Number 2001100012

I'm sure glad others find this stuff of interest, the thread was starting to look like a blog, which sure wasn't my intent.

I just realized my previous posting of intent to compile the thread in the future may cause some to refrain from posting. It shouldn't, as I only want to gather and assemble the pertinent patents into a useful and accurate list. The more people contribute, the more likely we'll end up with a complete list.

Names, faces, and interim prattle will be excluded to protect the innocent.

Moldyoldy, I applaud your efforts in establishing this thread. Aside from the practical aspects for inventors, patent surfing can be a great deal of fun for those interested in technology and the history of same. I have spent many happy hours reading some of the thousands of old speaker patents, and my brother has done the same in his realm of interest, mechanical calculators.

Aside from Dr. Blackburn's radial slit phasing plug patent, I have not found any others directly related to Lansing Manufacturing Company. There is one patent mentioned in the August, 1943 Altec Lansing catalog. They state that the Iconic (same as the earlier Lansing Iconic) is manufactured under U.S. Patent #2,143,175, as well as various (unstated) patents owned or controlled by Western Electric Company. Here is a link to the Altec catalog page:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...943/page02.jpg

Here is a link to the patent:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=EgE...BAJ&dq=2143175

This patent issued to Samuel A. Waite describes a two way speaker with bass reflex low frequency section and (in one embodiment) a multicellular horn high frequency section. Mr. Waite's patent was applied for in October 1937, shortly after the introduction of the Lansing Iconic. We may never know whether Mr. Waite had any relation to Lansing Mfg. Co., or if he simply applied for a patent on the concept of the Iconic and later successfully negotiated compensation from Altec Lansing.

Mr. Ercell B. Harrison was the brilliant transformer engineer who pioneered the design of wide bandwidth, low phase shift audio transformers. John Hilliard related in one of his articles that Harrison designed and built new transformers to upgrade the audio equipment at MGM studios in 1937, while in the employ of Lansing Mfg. Co. He is also credited with the design of the later 20/20 series transformers built by Altec's Peerless division. I have not found any patents by Harrison related to his transformer breakthroughs, though I did find this one from 1926 (!) related to transducer and horn design:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=ZQJ...BAJ&dq=1776902

It appears that Harrison was into speaker design about as early as Jim Lansing, so they shared some common interests. Mr. Harrison is pictured standing directly to Jim Lansing's right in the employee picture that we think was probably taken in early 1942:

http://www.audioheritage.org/intro.htm

EV II?

When reading thoroughly patent 5,925,856 by John D. Meyer et al.(Meyer Sound, Cal.) you get the idea of a modern throat design.

Perseverance rewarded!

Here’s the Bell patent embodied in WE 633 and Altec 632 and 633 “Saltshaker” mics

ACOUSTIC DEVICE

Patent number: 2131593
    Filing date: Sep 9, 1936
    Issue date: Sep 1938
    Inventor: Robert N. Marshall
    Assignee: Bell Telephone Laboratories

Saltshaker ornamental patent

DESIGN FOR A TELEPHONE TRANSMITTER

Patent number: D101816
    Filing date: Sep 9, 1936
    Issue date: Nov 1936

I’ve been looking for the next one for a long time. Also by Bell/Marshall. The manufacture and assembly detail for the moving coil diaphragm for the above microphone. I believe this also to be the grandaddy recipe for Altecs' long-running dynamic microphone line, as well as the assemblies used in the 3000 series tweeter horns. Originally made of Duralum, replaced with Mylar when it appeared on the scene. Altec mic brochures tout their “golden mylar” diaphragms for years, but I’ve also seen blue versions, and silver too. Voice coils (19mm) may vary per application (unverified), but the diaphragms in all iterations appear to be formed on the same die. The edgewound coil has no former, being attached directly to the diaphragm as detailed in the patent. Adhesive bonding throughout. The gap is 0.66mm, and the 'fram would blow away from a bee's breath. Far too delicate and precise for practical hand assembly, the following invention made it all possible.

AFAIK, Bill Hayes offers the only service for these, and last I heard was debating whether to make any more or not. After reading the patent process, I can see the difference between production conditions, and service, where where one-off jobs take 5+ times the effort. Can't make 'em up in advance unless you had the bodies to put 'em in. I'd looove to see the tooling...

METHOD OF AND MEANS FOR ASSEMBLING ACOUSTIC DIAPHRAGMS

Patent number: 2094043
    Filing date: Nov 15, 1935
    Issue date: Nov 1937

Top image, l-r; drawing excerpt from patent, assembled Altec 3000 HF unit, top plate less 'fram, magnet structure with coil for mic use clipped, but left in assy. Indicates assemblies for 3000 tweeters were definitely robbed from microphone parts stock instead of being purpose-built.

Lower image from WE brochure, borrowed from James Steele's wonderful Vintage Broadcast Microphone site.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thread Information