Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: JBL ES Series

MJC
    1. The ES100 description totally leaves out the UHF driver
    That's not the first time that has happened.
    With the TL260 the description the mid-range, if I remember right, was left out.

4. The ES100 is heavier than the L890.
    Now that is saying something, as the L890 is not a light weight.

It's probably the weight of two 8" drivers versus two 10" drivers.

ES Series in my Home Theater for four years now - Great!

I know this thread is 'stinky old' now, but thought I'd comment anyway...
    In the spring of 2008 I put together a home theater 5.2 set-up using the JBL ES series speakers -
    ES100s (pair in front L+R).
    ES 25C (center channel).
    ES 30s (pair for surrounds).
    ES 250Ps (pair of 12" 400w/700w peak subwoofers).

Of the group, the ES 100s were most difficult to find, as JBL told me in an email reply that they don't sell them in the U.S. because U.S. buyers "think they're too big"(!).
    Well *I* bought a pair, but had to have them shipped from Birmingham England to MN to get them (wanted the ones with two 10" woofers!).
    They arrived in less than a week by FedEx Air in immaculate condition.
    Very nice speakers, glad I got 'em. Amazing output and clarity/low end.

But probably the biggest surprise of this group was the ES30s.
    I was VERY impressed with these given they're relaitively small size (6" woofer, etc.). These have amazing sound output - just run that first scene from the Blu-ray of "Master and Commander "and you'll see what I mean!. Feels like you're listening to a floor standing system - the sweet spot of the group as far as the 'ol cost/benefit ratio goes.

The weak link is probably the EC 25C center speaker. Its just too small (maybe I should just run a pair of them?). An "ES 35C" (using two 6" woofers and maybe a matching midrange?) with better capabilities would have been a good idea on JBL's part.

The ES 250P 12" subwoofers are just what I expected them to be - solid perfomers all around. They sure 'earn their keep' when reproducing that room shaking train wreak scene that's about 18.5 minutes into the Blu-ray of the movie "Super 8". Wow!

I'm running all of these from a Yamaha RX-V1900 AVR that I've also been very pleased with.
    But I'm thinking of upgrading to having that drive an external amplifier like the Emotiva XPA-5 (5 x 200w).

Just thought a 'mini-review' of JBL's ES series speakers might be appreciated.
    I'm very happy with them!

The EC35 is pretty easy to come by used, and is hugely better than the ES25. I see them on eBay regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    The EC35 is pretty easy to come by used, and is hugely better than the ES25. I see them on eBay regularly.
    rdgrimes - that's a great suggestion!
    I think I'll troll eBay for just such an option.
    (I really don't know why JBL didn't market an "ES 35C", but that's life!).

I wonder if anyone has an opinion as to running TWO ES 25Cs off of an RCA splitter if I can't snag a 35C?
    I imagine I'd just need to adjust the levels in the AVR's menu,...both would be 8 Ohm speakers, so the way to do it would be to split the signal to an external stereo amp, and then re-run the YPAO. That should do the trick.
    Then angle each about 5 degrees away from center to give that center chanel beter disperson.
    Worth tinkering with diferent configurations if this is the way I end up going.

In any case, I'm really happy with this 5.2 speaker set-up, but will look to improve the center channel 'experiance' somehow.
    Thanks for your post!

Dual center speakers is rarely a good idea due to the filtering it can create, different distances, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    Dual center speakers is rarely a good idea due to the filtering it can create, different distances, etc.
    Funny you mention that, because I've now been hearing that same concern on another forum too.
    (Though oddly ALL users on the Emotiva forum who have tried it swear by it and there are five practical dual center speaker users there who atest to that. Of the naysayers there, none have tried it).

So instead of the E35C which I'm beginning to think may not be enough of an upgrade to justify the change, I'm considering an LC2 instead.
    But I'm wondering if the 'sonic signature' would be noticably different between my ES series fronts & surrounds and the L series center enough to matter?
    I doubt it(?), and might just make that change.
    I've measured the space, and can just barely accomodate the LC2 with a bit to spare...

I found the LC2 to be a LOT better center than the EC25 and EC35 - you can even biamp it if desired - tho I never did.
    I am selling my LC2 - see - http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...nter-in-Cherry

And yes, Master and Commander Bluray is one of my go-to demo discs! (I blame TiDome for that!)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hustad View Post
    Funny you mention that, because I've now been hearing that same concern on another forum too.
    (Though oddly ALL users on the Emotiva forum who have tried it swear by it and there are five practical dual center speaker users there who attest to that. Of the naysayers there, none have tried it).

So instead of the E35C which I'm beginning to think may not be enough of an upgrade to justify the change, I'm considering an LC2 instead.
    But I'm wondering if the 'sonic signature' would be noticably different between my ES series fronts & surrounds and the L series center enough to matter?
    I doubt it(?), and might just make that change.
    I've measured the space, and can just barely accomodate the LC2 with a bit to spare...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    And yes, Master and Commander Bluray is one of my go-to demo discs! (I blame TiDome for that!)
    Doug, is that the movie you demo'd in the Two Jims where the cannon fire was rocking the sunglasses around my neck?
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

Quote Originally Posted by JBLAddict View Post
    Doug, is that the movie you demo'd in the Two Jims where the cannon fire was rocking the sunglasses around my neck?
    Mebbe.
    Out.

Jbl lc2

I need a black one or I'd jump on that cherry finish one you're selling!
    This center speaker does look like the way to go though.
    At only 5" deep, it looks like its made to hang on the wall, but I'd shelf mount it under the flat panel...don't expect any issues from that, as I've seen it most often used that way.
    Looks like J&R in NY has these on sale too!

(And oh, hjames, if you're looking for another fantastic 'demo Blu-ray' - try the train wreak scene that's about 18.5 minutes into the movie "Super 8" - INCREDIBLE!
    It will give your especially your subwoofers (and the rest of your speakers & amps) a run for their money! Pure demo material.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hustad View Post
    I need a black one or I'd jump on that cherry finish one you're selling!
    This center speaker does look like the way to go though.
    At only 5" deep, it looks like its made to hang on the wall, but I'd shelf mount it under the flat panel...don't expect any issues from that, as I've seen it most often used that way.
    Looks like J&R in NY has these on sale too!

(And oh, hjames, if you're looking for another fantastic 'demo Blu-ray' - try the train wreak scene that's about 18.5 minutes into the movie "Super 8" - INCREDIBLE!
    It will give your especially your subwoofers (and the rest of your speakers & amps) a run for their money! Pure demo material.
    Sure - I saw Super 8 - Interesting, but not enough to own it ...
    Kind of prefer the Star Trek reboot instead.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information