Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Field Guide to the JBL 10 inch Midbass driver 2121 2122 2123

First Post, this seems like the best thread to bring this up in.

I have had for 35+ years two E-110 and two M12-8 in .6 sf sealed boxes and they have been the best sounding mid range Piano speakers I have ever had. They have been in my attic awaiting re-coning for 10 years. and apparently that is about 12 years past the expiration of available factory kits. I can't find any references for the M12-8 (not M112) except one line in a resource I found here that shows them to use the same kit as the E-110s which makes sense because they are Identical baskets to the eye. Now I see that there may be a glimmer of hope I can get the C8R2123H kits. or equivalent. Can anyone point me to a reliable and quality source you have got these from Or perhaps someone has 4 they need to sell. I really miss the hard hitting snap these provide. I can't get that kind of energy out of my Kappa6 and the 10W1-8s I replaced them with after they started making noise Just never had the crisp sound that the paper surrounds did.
    any help or suggestions would be welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by subwoof View Post
    If I remember, the K110 and E110 had the same coils but the former changed a few times on the "E" which made for a slightly different spec.

I don't have any of those open or kits to compare at the moment BUT I think I have some pretty rare K110-4 kits in storage. When it thaws I will look.

sub
    Are you still around ? I know my storage has some untouched areas that are over 8 years , hoping by long shot to find you still have these

JBL still has C8R2123 kits.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    JBL still has C8R2123 kits.

Barry.
    Thank you Barry !

I must not have ask the tech in the right manner, I suppose they might not make the leap to suggesting the 2123 when I was asking about the E-110, Maybe I wasn't in the right store, were does a average consumer go to best order parts from JBL?

Quote Originally Posted by Havana Woody View Post
    ...Maybe I wasn't in the right store, were does a average consumer go to best order parts from JBL?
    You cannot buy JBL recone kits from legitimate JBL dealers/repair facilities that follow the rules. Your best bet is to work with a reputable factory authorized repair facility. They will correctly install the kits in your cores for you.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    Added 2122 response.
    But all of responses are so called 'small signal responses'. On higher power I do believe that they are
    much different.
    It would be nice if such measurements somebody can add.
    Ten Years later.

This is the JBL2123 in a sealed 0.83 FT3 box, mike at near field.
    Measured with AP APx 555.

Thanks DT
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information