Thread: 5 cu.Ft Box 2-Way Question:

5 cu.Ft Box 2-Way Question:

Dear All,

I have two enclosures here, that are in sore need of a retrofit.

The box:

.75 MDF, carpeted and well-built,
    Internal Dimensions: 38.5" x 18.5" x 13"
    Baffle removed, ready for a new one.
    BBP6 shows 5.0 ft3.
    Needs: 2-way speaker for all around sound here at the nightclub.
    I have: 2225h and was considering making a 4507 style of Zilch cab w/ either horn/cd mounted in baffle board; or Mounted outside of cabinet like VOTT.

I have also considered mounting two 2225's in the box and mounting an external horn/cd of the 2425/2344 butt cheek horn.

This box with just the 2225's could be used for low mids in the big ballroom 120hz - 800hz...
    OR outfitted with an appropriate horn/cd, be utilized as a "full range" 2-way speaker for the little dance floor, or the main bar hifi/pa.

I know this is a lot of information, and would really appreciate the ideas.

I also thought about a E-145 and a 2446/2381 combo for all around P.A./ SR.

My thoughts are to biamp with active xover(Rane AC-22) and Crown
    amps.

Any Advice???

I am still building the 4-SR4733/4780 style of speakers at this moment for inclusion of the big ballroom setup to be placed on top of the 4719 clones that Lisa and I built a couple of months ago.

I am covered in sawdust, and reconing drivers to get it all together, and keep checking all of the posts.

THANK YOU, ALL!!!!!

Scott.
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

Anybody out there?

Anybody?

CQ, CQ, CQ-Dx there skipland....

Well, I think you've basically got it.

I like the 4-port 2507 because I can retune it to various woofers via plugging one or more of the ports. The basic tuning is 40 Hz, well suited to 2225, 2226, others.

Flip the woofer up for horn on top, down for integral horn, regarding which I'd squeeze out a little more space there to allow mounting 2344(A), if desired. It's just a bit shy in the standard spacing.

Remember 2344(A) dispersion characteristics. It's "short throw" by SR standards, which may be appropriate for a small dance floor, up close, but 90° x 50° would be more commonly used.

I'd go to 2226H before I'd use dual 2225s in 5 cuft., if SPL is the primary issue....

As cost in somewhat of an issue, I am trying to use what I have here.

I am still considering one 2225 with the altec 811 horn on a 2420 driver w/2425 dia. Mounting depth of the cd/horn being the only consideration.

I have in my mind's eye, the Val, L200b, 4691B, 4320, 4560 w/2345&2470, etc...with its simple and clean approach. Everywhere I turn, someone has a single 15" and horn combo in a box that just "gets it done."

I only have 1 811b horn. I would need a 2nd.

(I was considering using the 2370 until I read that some Forum Members did not like it, although it would be a JBL marriage of parts seen here before.)

Mr. Z has kindly advised against the 2410/H91 w/ potato masher as his comments do not support the masher's dispersion characteristics needed for this project.

Mr. Z also commented on using the 2235 in a D130f basket that I have a pair of, but am concerned about the dj's hitting that too hard, and that's why the 2225 came to be.

BBP6 with 4 - 4" ports of 3" long seems to calculate 42hz, without removing any Vb because of the cd/horn combo.

I have 2445's, 2420, 2410, and some Gauss 2460 in stock. (I am not including the Altec cds in this box for obvious reasons.)

I am short on 15 woofers, except for 2 2220A - 16 ohm drivers that are coned up and good. (what about a 2220 & Le175 potato masher combo? Sounds like a C37 with the appropriate S4 or S5 package. Not a clue how it would sound.)

QUESTION: What other horns should I consider that will still mount behind the baffle space? (13" inside depth of enclosure)

QUESTION 2: I have one E-145-8 and could come up with another basket and recone kit, but this goes against rule #1/cost. What good use is there for E-145?

Again, Thank you for your kind wisdom and advice!

Scott.

I also consider the aftermarket 2344 horn on ebay for $29ea., but have no idea of its quality.

I also consider the 2446 and 2381 style of newer combo, but do not have that in my arsenal.

Just a note on one option mentioned: The 2381 is a 1 and 1/2 inch horn, requiring the 2447.

Also, the only 2344 clone I know of is the P Audio, which is also a 1 and 1/2 inch throat horn.

The negative comments about the 2370 were regarding use for hi fi, as I recollect. You could choose to ignore negative comments anyway. Other people like that horn. For SR I would think it entirely suitable.

You're right--the 2235 is not suitable for SR.

I like both the 2225 and the 2220 type of drivers. In that bass reflex box size I believe the 2225 will give you a more balanced sound, the 2220 being best used in a scoop.

David

P-Audio PH-316 is a "cosmetic" clone only; it does not have the dispersion characteristics of 2344(A). However, in your application, that may not be a totally bad thing. As Dave points out, it's 1.5", but I have also used it with the requisite throat adapters to 1" from P-Audio.

2381 accepts other 1.5" drivers with flange modification, i.e., drilling the requisite mounting bolt holes. It's one of the best combos I've used here with 2452H-SL.

2507's four ports are 3" diameter (2.94" at the counterbore exit, actually,) x 6.25" deep. Go with that for starters, or an equivalent pair of 4" ports (BB6P will tell you how long,) depending upon your baffle layout.

I don't consider 2370A to be full range. The vertical beamwidth drops to 28° at 8 kHz, 21° at 16 kHz, making it "long throw" in the VHF, similar to the exponentials with dispersion lens. Though I haven't measured them precisely, 811Bs seem to do somewhat better than that:

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/pub/components/2370a.pdf

This isn't all "theoretical," BTW. Gotta be 20' back from these, unless you're sitting down:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I just bought a pair of 2370a horn from ebay.

After reading SpeakerDave's comment:

" You could choose to ignore negative comments anyway. {Other people like that horn. For SR I would think it entirely suitable.}"

Lisa and I decided this would be fine and not break the bank.

I am going to utilize the single 15" and 2420 motor w/D8R2425 dia's bolted up to these 2370 horns.

I measured and don't have the depth inside the box to mount a 2420 and Altec 811 horn combo. Unless I make a spacer on the front of the baffle cutout. Another .75" would do it.

Alas...I donot have another Altec 811B.

If someone has a spare/orphan 811b horn black in color, I would be willing to try that.

I have a pair of green val horns just sitting in office, that are not mine...YET! ( you have NO idea how ticked I am at this guy!!!)( I think last Friday was his last night working for us at the bar! He just chews up gear, and is remorseful, but after a year of this...Myrna and I are done with him. Lisa too!)

Scott.

ps. I have the same JBL urei 6630 amp sitting here, too. The music store had a 6615, but wanted $500 for it! (let them keep it)

Thread Information